Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Just bought my wedding dress, please help me style it

(71 Posts)
QforCucumber Wed 11-Jul-18 20:02:46

Today I purchased the dress which made me feel like no dress ever has before.....but i dont know where to begin with styling it. Please throw at me your tips for shoes, jewellery and hair, I'm in a dress drunk haze.

EveningHare Wed 11-Jul-18 20:13:14

do you feel you can pop a picture up?

EveningHare Wed 11-Jul-18 20:13:32

well thats flaming weird, it wasnt there a minute ago!

EveningHare Wed 11-Jul-18 20:14:08

no advice, but thats gorgeous!!

MinnieMinchkin Wed 11-Jul-18 20:14:46

Gorgeous!

Not much help, but you might want to consider a different bra grin

missfliss Wed 11-Jul-18 20:15:33

It is fabulous. To keep the lines long and sweeping I think an undo with a striking hair accessory ( side tiara) would be fab

BibiThree Wed 11-Jul-18 20:16:30

The beadwork on the back looks quite Art Deco to me - have you considered an Art Deco style tiara/band and hairstyle?

MrsArthurShappey Wed 11-Jul-18 20:16:36

Hair up I think.

QforCucumber Wed 11-Jul-18 20:17:00

Hahaha yes the bra will be the first thing to go (wasnt thinking when i went to try on today) i never expected to get anything so completely different to the image i had in my head so am now stuck on everything, its so opposite to the one i imagined

MrsArthurShappey Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:01

Do you want a veil? If so make it a very plain one. You’d still see the back detail. It’s stunning smile

Zillcat Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:04

Love it!
I would go hair up to show the neck detail on the dress.
also limit veil length if you are considering one so you don't lose the back.

TroubledLichen Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:07

Beautiful dress and it looks amazing on you! I think hair up unless your hair is quite short to show off the back detail. Other than that it doesn’t need much in the way of styling as it’s such a gorgeous dress.

SmilingButClueless Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:18

I wouldn’t wear a black bra on the day!

The bodice is absolutely stunning so I wouldn’t personally wear a necklace as that might detract from the detail. Hair completely up, definitely, and maybe a sparkly tiara or statement drop earrings?

moonlight1705 Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:27

Gorgeous dress! Hair up as you don't want anything detracting from that lovely scooped back.

Since its long and flowing I would go for comfy shoes but then I'm a wimp with heels. I got a nice pair from Irregular Choice.

No need for necklace at all.

falaffels Wed 11-Jul-18 20:18:40

That's gorgeous!

Fancy up do, and fabulous sparkly hair clip or chandelier earrings.

kayakingmum Wed 11-Jul-18 20:20:07

I would go for hair done up so it doesn't distract from the beauty of the back of the dress.

QueenofallIsee Wed 11-Jul-18 20:20:50

I think the dress style means simplicity al the way. I would forgo the veil as the back of the dress deserves to be seen. I would have heart up, beautiful hair piece and elegant pearl earrings maybe (can’t quite tell if pearl is right but that’s the feel I would go for)

Littlechocola Wed 11-Jul-18 20:20:55

Hair styled to the side and an Art Deco hair comb. I don’t think you need jewellery.
It’s stunning.

QueenofallIsee Wed 11-Jul-18 20:21:06

Hair! Not heart 😮

Maybeicanhelp Wed 11-Jul-18 20:24:50

Beautiful.

I echo what everyone else has said.

Hair in an updo and keep everything else simple.

Congratulations, when is the wedding?

Amiable Wed 11-Jul-18 20:25:24

Simple accessories, maybe pearl studs, hair up with some embellishment, pearl clips that sort of thing. The dress is stunning, and you don't want to detract from it, imo.

QforCucumber Wed 11-Jul-18 20:28:43

Thankyou all, knew mn would light my way. Pearl earrings are a great idea I'd not even thought of, the beading is pearly and diamante esque. I have 6 months to get it right smile

FairfaxAikman Wed 11-Jul-18 20:29:30

Agree with what people have said about hair and veil. If you do feel you want to wear a necklace you could have one of those ones that dangles at the back?

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Wed 11-Jul-18 20:30:17

I agree with a previous posters comments. The back looks a bit Art Deco so I would look for something inspired by that.

Hair in a soft up do, drop earrings and a bracelet. I don’t think I would wear a veil, although a birdcage veil could be good.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 11-Jul-18 20:33:53

No jewellery apart maybe earrings (plus wedding ring!)
I can't imagine a veil that would work with that, keep it simple.
Get a bra cups sewn into it.

Shoes - comfort above style, always.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: