Talk

Advanced search

Home extensions 2017- the one where all builders are dickheads.

(1000 Posts)
monkeyfacegrace Thu 12-Oct-17 19:29:58

Link to the old thread.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2847599-Home-Extensions-2017-come-along-on-the-journey

As you were ladies.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 12-Oct-17 19:30:34

Because after 10 years herher still can't do sodding links.

ahem

TeamRick Thu 12-Oct-17 19:47:55

Well who thought we would make a 1000 posts!

Thanks for starting a new thread Monkey!

Hope you're ok! ❤️

Tatlerer Thu 12-Oct-17 19:57:46

Evening all. Here's to wonderful workmanship, dreamy builders and hitch-free builds.
Ah haha. Hahaha. Ha.
Here's to wineand ginand quite possibly some cake

Tatlerer Thu 12-Oct-17 19:59:43

monkey 10/10 for the thread title which I've just clocked! Did you have a nice day at the spa btw?

TeamRick Thu 12-Oct-17 20:04:26

Please god don't let me still be here for thread 3!

Tatlerer Thu 12-Oct-17 20:09:33

Rick if you are it'll be in a support capacity helping the rest of us I'm sure!

TeamRick Thu 12-Oct-17 20:16:13

I can't wait for the 2018 threads- I'll be like the voice of doom!

Shouting Don't do it & having to lead away quietly by Guilty! Muttering under my breath!

monkeyfacegrace Thu 12-Oct-17 20:55:42

I've had an AMAZING day.

Started off with the sale of our other property falling through for the THIRD time. Ffs.

Then I spent the day floating, steaming, saunaing, eating, drinking, facialing, foot spaing, and all the other 'ing' words that can be added.

I'm now a bottle of red wine plus 2 glasses of prosecco down, and I no longer care about my sorry state of affairs.

Plus me and pmt induced almost ex h DH had an awesome, ahem, sesh last night so I'm all grin today. Even though I still can't stand the sight of the man.

Tmi? Well sorrynotsorry.

So. My kitchen has been confirmed by my amazing best friends, as arriving to site tomorrow bounce bounce

The insurance claim for the floor is ongoing. They decuct money for wear and tear and don't cover 'old for new'. Well the floor was only completed on Friday so.... idiots.

rick is your builder having a fall out either sparky over payment by any chance?!

Tatlerer Thu 12-Oct-17 21:04:23

monkey! Sorry to hear about the house sale but spa sounds lush. Do you think you'll give DH another chance then?
Prosecco...boak! Red wine sounds nice though.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 12-Oct-17 21:16:25

No I don't think there's much going back. He's putting in a huge amount of effort, but it may be too little too late. I'm still really, really hurt and fed up by the way he's handled all this.

How's everyone else's day going?

And prosecco is the bubbles of the gods. Don't knock my new best friend grin

Whattodowithaminute Thu 12-Oct-17 21:23:15

Found you all.

Sounds like you had a good day/night in many ways monkey I can see how this process would push anyone to the limit and it sounds as though you've been through loads together.

I lost it with DH today he's come home all worried and needing reassurance about our whole relationship... haven't even broken the ground on this build yet; could be a long 6 months....

NamedyChangedy Thu 12-Oct-17 23:13:57

Yay @monkeyfacegrace, sounds like you had a fab time. I'm extremely envious!

I'm getting really fed up of the whole thing now. Got a £££ quote from the builder to re-do a job that we thought was done and feel like we have zero bargaining power now - they can charge whatever they like and we pretty much have to pay it as we're committed now.

I've now ordered all our appliances, but still have loads of decisions to make - floors, tiles, lighting, paint colours, blah blah. Not to mention a full time job that's really full-on at the moment. I just want it all to be over, and to have a day of peace and quiet with no builders in sight. One day....

Titsywoo Thu 12-Oct-17 23:17:02

Checking in smile

Sounds like a lovely day monkey (bar the house falling through of course!).

I have no idea what's going on here. The problem with a loft conversion is you can't really see what's happening. I'll probably venture up the ladder tomorrow to have a nose around. Our staircase starts next week so hopefully I'll be able to get up there easily soon.

4yearsnosleep Fri 13-Oct-17 07:50:26

I'm jumping on to this one toosmile

TeamRick Fri 13-Oct-17 08:03:11

Glad you had a good day Monkey!

I think there is an element of money to it! If they have to take all the plasterboard down, the builder might have to replace some. It's more the additional work I think! Hard enough getting anyone here once never mind twice! Sigh!

I think I'm going to have to accept that the kitchen is not going to happen next week! Sobs!

monkeyfacegrace Fri 13-Oct-17 08:26:16

Sorry I'd had a bit too much to drink last night blush

Rick, is anyone coming today?

My kitchen is getting delivered today. But I don't know where exactly we are going to put it?! Argh!

monkeyfacegrace Fri 13-Oct-17 09:12:19

Great, and now my kitchen fitters are saying that really my kitchen can't be installed until the floor is ripped up and redone. Which as it's an insurance job could take weeks. And we are a family of 5 with no water downstairs and no kitchen whatsoever.

I can't stop crying again. Literally can't get a grip any more. I could have taken this a few months ago. Now everything seems pointless.

glorious Fri 13-Oct-17 11:05:22

monkey you are having such a crappy run of it sad Ridiculous that the insurance company are being difficult on top of everything else. Is there any chance you could all move out for a bit, even stay with someone?

monkeyfacegrace Fri 13-Oct-17 11:23:30

No I'm actually just being dramatic today. Everything's going to be okay. My kitchen team are my best mates so I'm in good hands. They even came home from the workshop and have just emptied their home workshop/garage thingy and are taking the kitchen delivery into there for me. So I'm all okay for space. I've booked to go on holiday for the half term week, so I'm leaving them in charge of the house and have just asked for it all to be finished when I get home. And I've told them that I love them very much grin

How's everyone else? I feel like I'm dominating a bit with my whinges blush

Shall we have a photo update binge later? See where we are all at?

Believeitornot Fri 13-Oct-17 12:31:19

A new thread!!!!!!!! Wow.

I did laugh at the title grin

Believeitornot Fri 13-Oct-17 12:35:50

I'll update with some pictures a little later. We are at the stage where the floor has been levelled now, our wood flooring is being delivered today and after DH and I had a powwow last night, we got the builder to pop in this morning and talk through some tech details. So we are pretty much ready to order the kitchen finally! I actually quite like our builder in terms of being able to give us some good ideas - he seems to have a bit of common sense. We just get delays, although things have picked up recently, which is great.
Next week, it should be all plastered up and lighting going in after that.

The sliding doors are going in at the beginning of November, and i think the kitchen will arrive after that, but this gives me hope for a pre-Christmas finish.

Whatthefoxgoingon Fri 13-Oct-17 15:44:30

New thread already! Looking forward to updated pics.

Believeitornot Fri 13-Oct-17 16:00:05

This is our extension at the moment

stringchild Fri 13-Oct-17 18:25:28

logging my place - me of the builders who went under the day they were due to start sad 6mnth waiting list currently being quoted so i watch in admiration as our opposite neighbours do the same job with a serious number of workmen, in very quick time! still have found someone to do the bathroom in dec, and hopefully someone to do the kitchen in dec. When i have paid for those, the extensions will look cheap (or unaffordable!)

This thread is not accepting new messages.