Anyone been to / going to Greek islands?

(269 Posts)
Twobigsapphires Sun 18-Jul-21 19:05:29

Due to holiday on Greek Island in 2 weeks. Really anxiety inducing, anyone in the area boat or can offer reassurance?

OP’s posts: |
Sunshine2007 Mon 19-Jul-21 00:26:18

Yes we are meant to be going to Zakynthos in 2 weeks and it’s all very anxiety inducing! Trying to get my head round all the testing required, terrified of testing positive, just before, during or after. Also worried now having read today Spain and Greece might go the way of France and we might need to quarantine when we get back. Not even sure how much I’m going to be able to relax with all this going on!

gettingolderbutcooler Mon 19-Jul-21 08:28:25

Yes we went to Greece. All the covid prep etc was v stressful and although we had a great time I wouldn't do an amber country again.

Bingo78 Mon 19-Jul-21 08:46:39

gettingolderbutcooler

Yes we went to Greece. All the covid prep etc was v stressful and although we had a great time I wouldn't do an amber country again.

How was the airport experience over there? We are due to travel next Tuesday to Crete and I’m feeling anxious too. Did they test you at the airport? Did you feel safe?

DidoTwyte Mon 19-Jul-21 09:11:45

Yes, we're meant to be going to Rhodes in two weeks but I'll thinking I'm going to probably cancel. It just seems like a stressful lottery - and there's every chance we could catch Covid on the plane and then spend the whole time isolating.

Remmy123 Mon 19-Jul-21 09:45:15

I personally wouldn't be testing myself whilst abroad to avoid isolation - sorry if sounds v selfish

blametheparents Mon 19-Jul-21 09:58:33

@Sunshine2007 - Could you tell me where you saw the info that Greece might be going the same way as France? Thank you smile

Advertisement

FizzyPink Mon 19-Jul-21 10:04:39

We’re also off to Zakynthos in a few weeks and I’m seriously wondering about cancelling.
My biggest concern is testing positive on the test to return and ending up in a quarantine hotel in Greece. DP is self employed so already stressed about taking a 10 day holiday, I’m not sure I could cope in a hotel room for another 2 weeks with him if we needed to isolate.

Sunshine2007 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:05:09

I saw it on the Mail on line. Maybe purely speculation but I think anything is possible these days.

Sunshine2007 Mon 19-Jul-21 10:10:20

The biggest risk to me seems like someone testing positive getting off the plane (I think they are random testing at airports?), then the whole plane has to isolate. I’m not worried about being there, we will be outdoors all the time and have booked a villa so we can avoid people if we need to. My whole family still want to go, and I won’t be popular if I insist on cancelling ☹️

blametheparents Mon 19-Jul-21 10:22:35

@Sunshine2007 - I am in the same position in that I do not want to go and everybody else does.
In the next two weeks any one of us could get a track and trace isolation and then we can't go anyway, but at least the insurance would pay out!

continuousmonotonousbeep Mon 19-Jul-21 15:33:16

@Sunshine2007 - is that true that if you arrive at your destination and anyone on the plane is positive everyone has to isolate? Going to Cyprus 1st August and I can't find the answer to that question anywhere (flying with TUI and takes forever to get through)

ShowOfHands Mon 19-Jul-21 15:35:26

My friend's just returned from a Greek island. Said she wishes she'd cancelled. It was stressful and really not worth it.

OneMoreForExtra Mon 19-Jul-21 16:03:54

Any more detail on why so stressful? I was relieved when looking into it this WE: vaccinated adults don't have to test going out, kids under 12 excempt. Just the pre- return trip and day 2 tests to sort. It'll all go to shit if we have to quarantine though...

GrealishHairband Mon 19-Jul-21 16:09:19

We’re booked for Crete the back end of august so interested in what is what. Two double jabbed adults and two under 18’s.

As it happens im currently awaiting the result of a Covid test now so that adds an extra dimension. If it’s positive will I still test positive before we are due to go? We’re going with Tui so could opt for next year instead but i’m desperate to get away for some R&R. Don’t plan on doing anything other than lying by a pool.

kindlekeeper Mon 19-Jul-21 16:09:58

I’m in Greece and it’s great. Very normal. Tested at greek airport with lateral flows, only adults no teens/kids. Antigen tests self administered before we return home. Everything here is outside so very little chance of catching Covid. I did keep the kids away from their friends for a few days before we came. They had pcr in uk and we did a lateral flow each before leaving for airport. Also have a lateral flow to check before testing for return.

FrownedUpon Mon 19-Jul-21 16:24:10

No-we’ve cancelled. Can’t be doing with the stress!

PlumpCushion Mon 19-Jul-21 16:26:03

@kindlekeeper which airport was that? Are they testing all adults?!

fantastaballs Mon 19-Jul-21 16:26:48

We were supposed to be in Corfu last week but that was cancelled. Swapped it to cod on the 19th august. I'm not overly concerned tbh. We went last summer to Corfu and it was absolutely fine off very quiet. If we have to cancel/quarantine then it's still fine.

kindlekeeper Mon 19-Jul-21 16:33:18

Mainland airport in quiet area. All adults tested and passport etc done at same time.

Sunshine2007 Mon 19-Jul-21 18:56:27

I’m wondering if it would be better to cancel Greece and rebook somewhere they are not testing on arrival or having to test before you leave. Would Majorca fit that bill? Am finding it all very confusing about who does what!

Cheeseandlobster Mon 19-Jul-21 19:00:42

I read they are only testing the lead passenger on the plf form, not everyone. If someone on the plane tests positive I am not convinced the whole plane will need to isolate. I am a member of numerous holiday sites and I haven't heard that anywhere

StCharlotte Mon 19-Jul-21 19:04:08

We cancelled our trip. Absolutely gutted but I would have spent the whole time panicking about testing before our return. Not very relaxing.

FizzyPink Mon 19-Jul-21 19:11:32

I’m pretty sure you have to test to come home even from Green list countries so still run the risk of ending up in an isolation hotel.
I’m on a Facebook group for Zante and it sounds like they’re only testing the lead passenger on the plf on arrival and it’s only an up the nose test.

Cheeseandlobster Mon 19-Jul-21 19:47:55

FizzyPink

I’m pretty sure you have to test to come home even from Green list countries so still run the risk of ending up in an isolation hotel.
I’m on a Facebook group for Zante and it sounds like they’re only testing the lead passenger on the plf on arrival and it’s only an up the nose test.

Thank god. I am emetephobic and am really quite scared of the throat swab.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in