Talk

Advanced search

A year of running - before and after pics

(219 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:32:21

warning
Could contain what some may call 'stealth boasting', but honestly I just want to show what running 2-3 times a week, plus making some small changes in my diet have done for my bod.

In both pics I look my usual deathly white, but if you can see past that, I think my legs have changed the most. First pic was taken in May 2015, second one was taken today.

Hope no one minds.

MorrisZapp Tue 26-Apr-16 12:34:36

I'm envious of your 'before'! I run too and lost weight last summer but it's back on again. I can't give up chocolate in the cold.

Brilliant pics, bloody well done.

Pinkgeek Tue 26-Apr-16 12:36:34

Love a bit of inspiration!

Did you just do running or mix it up with other exercise? How far do you run?

Well done!!

Parsley1234 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:37:43

Jeez - amazing !! Well done

FinnMcCool Tue 26-Apr-16 12:38:08

Well done! Good for you.
<ponders about starting running>

FadedRed Tue 26-Apr-16 12:38:25

Very well done star. Inspiration for others, rather than a stealth boast IMO. You should be very proud of yourself.

SnakeWitch Tue 26-Apr-16 12:40:47

Oh wow, I have just started so that's real motivation to keep going. You look great.

NickiFury Tue 26-Apr-16 12:40:57

Running was the only thing that made he as fit and slim as I wanted to be. Best exercise. Sadly no time or childcare to take it up again but one day....

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 26-Apr-16 12:41:54

Ok, how'd you get the abs? Do you have children because my tummy does not look like that but I'd like it to!

And what distances do you run 2/3 times a week?

<gets out trainers>

Clg199 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:42:36

I need to get my trainers on and start C25K (again!) and this is exactly the inspiration I needed!

What is your routine? How far do you run and how often?

What an amazing difference - well done.

MargotLovedTom Tue 26-Apr-16 12:43:02

Oooh well done! Tell us more about the small diet changes please don't say you live on egg white omelettes and steamed tofu. I tried to do Couch To 5k and ended up with plantar fasciitis sad.

Yourface Tue 26-Apr-16 12:43:29

To be fair you did have a flat tum before but possibly not the amazing definition you have now. Your legs look fantastic.

What is your regime?

GeezeLouiseBelcher Tue 26-Apr-16 12:44:16

Brilliant. You've made me want to dust off my running shoes and get back to it. Well done, you look amazing.

MrsEricBana Tue 26-Apr-16 12:44:58

Well done!!!!

neolara Tue 26-Apr-16 12:46:43

Bloody hell! That's impressive. Not that you didn't look pretty good before, it's just that now you look fantastic!

Was dithering over whether to go for a run. You may have pushed me out the door....

Colliefeatures Tue 26-Apr-16 12:47:58

Wow thanks op this is such good inspiration for me.

How long (minutes) do you run for?

LMGTFY Tue 26-Apr-16 12:48:30

Not a stealth boast but an inspirational post. Well done you. Wish I could post like this!

DramaAlpaca Tue 26-Apr-16 12:49:29

Well done you, you look great star

I think you might have inspired me to start C25K again. I've done it before & completed it (twice) but not continued for long afterwards. Must do it again & aspire to pins like yours!

Roseberrry Tue 26-Apr-16 12:50:05

Boast away, you look great! How far do you run?

GeorgeTheThird Tue 26-Apr-16 12:51:45

Yeah there's quite a difference there. Well done!

poodlefromcatan Tue 26-Apr-16 12:52:46

Illuminati

poodlefromcatan Tue 26-Apr-16 12:53:20

Sorry wrong thread! grin

DavetheCat2001 Tue 26-Apr-16 12:59:59

Oh wow thank you so much. I was worried that it might come across as vanity, but honestly I just wanted to ring the bell for running as I honestly have never found any other exercise gets the same results. I hate gyms with a passion!

I try to run twice during the week between 6 and 7k, and then do a longer run on a Sunday of 10k. I have entered Race for Life so wanted to make sure I could do the distance before people started sponsoring me!

Where I live is very hilly, so I do run on hills a fair bit which kills me but I think helps.

I do have 2 children (5 and 2.5), and I am 43 so no spring chicken wink, oh and inherently lazy (would much rather be lounging on a sofa with a glass of wine in my hand!), but I ma also very driven and when I decide to do something, I won't give up as I feel I will have wasted all the effort I put in IYSWIM.

I try and do a plank each day as well, and I do a couple of workouts on YouTube by a fitness trainer called Rebecca Louise. I can link them if anyone is interested. They're really good, not too horrible to do and she is a great inspiration herself.

Changes in diet - the main one was cutting sugar out of my tea. My auntie used to give us sugar cubes as a treat (wtf???!), and I always had to have loads of sugar in my tea. I just cut that out one day and it made a difference. I have tried to reduce my carbs (not completely..I like bread/pasta etc too much), but I only eat brown bread/rice/spaghetti if I can now. I make the most of the free fruit we get at work, and try and load up on veg and salad, but honestly I love food and cooking so don't deny myself anything, I just make sure I take it easy the following day and go for a hilly run!

I also find running has helped with my depression (I am currently trying to wean myself off my AD's), so that's a big benefit.

Just try and get out there, go as slowly as you need to, don't try to do too much too quickly (I couldn't run 50 yards the first few times I went out), and take a picture at the beginning and then as you go along..it really helps to see progress and as you see yourself every day it can be hard to notice and that in itself can be unmotivating.

TwoLittleBlooms Tue 26-Apr-16 13:00:03

Well done! You look amazing! I'm another one also interested in what changes you have made to your diet. I have recently cut out sugar from my coffee and switched to almond milk from semi skimmed and have noticed a slight change but still have a long way to go. How long do you run per session?

LaPharisienne Tue 26-Apr-16 13:01:24

I don't think this is stealth boasting - I think this is inspirational! Well done you.

IMO stealth boasting is ... " my husband says the funniest things! Like he laughs at my "wobble" and I'm only a size 8 OMG!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now