Talk

Advanced search

Marching into May, packed lunches all the way ! Join the frugaleers for frugal tips and friendly chat .

(1000 Posts)
QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 09:15:28

New thread

OP’s posts: |
SnugglySnerd Sat 28-Apr-18 09:19:25

Thanks for the new thread. Let's see if I can keep up a bit better with this one!

Laska5772 Sat 28-Apr-18 09:22:49

checking in (slightly hungover)..hmm

nannynick Sat 28-Apr-18 09:25:27

Lunch - that's a good topic. So bored with taking a pastie to work (though at £2.05 for 4, they are quite good for the budget).
Work lunch - what do you take that is not just a sandwich? Anyone made their own sushi - could that be quite low cost?

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 09:35:14

I never take sandwiches -so boring!
Cous cous -pesto added is nice .
Takes 5 mins -add hot water ,double the amount of cous cous
Add spinach,sugar snaps,peas,peppers corn and feta then whatever protein- tuna and egg,ham and egg,salmon or falafel if veggie plus seedy flatbread if you have a toaster.
Chop fruit .
I have tea/coffee and a mug and glass at work .
"Leftovers" are taken before we eat so technically not really leftovers !
My lot would eat the lot so I do my lunch first grin

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 09:35:42

Sorry double water to cous cous

Cantbearsed73 Sat 28-Apr-18 09:38:09

Checking in too

Wolfcub Sat 28-Apr-18 09:38:46

Thanks Quite

Ocado order put in for next week and easy meal plan - mostly ready made or quick to make foods but I feel like I’m going to be challenged enough with new job and all of ds’s activities without trying to be Nigella as well

Wolfcub Sat 28-Apr-18 09:44:28

Lazy meal plan. The pie, pasta sauce and pizza are all ready done. Food for two days will be out of the freezer/on the move so this should cover us until next Sunday

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 09:49:20

OhWolf
Im not trying to be Nigella at all bosoms are big enough but thats about it
Totally get it though,sometimes its about convenience and just making it through the day with everything thats going on.
flowers

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 09:51:04

Oh crikey just clocked you also have a new job !
Each day as it comes is the only way
Xx

ememem84 Sat 28-Apr-18 10:13:25

Checking in.

Dh has gone to buy an oven. I mentioned just trying out get a new door. But. We have no idea where you’d get one of those from.

Dsis has to get a new oven last week and she’s just sent me a pic of hers. It’s exactly what we want. We can’t have one where the handle goes all the way across as we have a pull out basket cupboard and we need to be able to open it. Hers has a handle that’s set in.

Dh apparently can’t see this one. So he’s gone to a different shop.

Ffs. I told him to go and get a Bosch one. Like dsis. Because hers was reasonably priced. He’s now suggesting we claim on our insurance and wait for an oven.

ememem84 Sat 28-Apr-18 10:15:44

Re lunches.

I take salads (if I have time on a weekend I make up boxes of salad stuff - so maybe boil eggs, cook chicken breast, roast chickpeas, prepare salad veggies etc then just throw a combination into my lunchbox).

Sandwiches - but these get boring.
Leftovers
Quiches

Have been known to take a can of beans to work and have beans and a roll (we have a microwave at work) or porridge, or scrambled egg.

Taytocrisps Sat 28-Apr-18 10:21:45

Thanks for the new thread Bandit.

'Matilda' was great last night - I'm still humming 'When I grow up'. We went for an all you can eat Chinese buffet in Dublin and my sister insisted on paying for all of us.

We were home late so this morning was a bit of a rush as we had to get DD up and pack her lunch/water bottle and find all the bad weather gear you need for a mountain hike in Ireland in April or any month in fact and get her down to the Scout den for 9 a.m. DH was back after 5 minutes 'cos she'd forgot her neckerchief and woggle! Just as well we don't live far from the Scout den! Spends so far €10 for the hike and approx. €3 for a roll for DD's lunch. I normally give her sandwiches for her school lunch but she made a good argument for a roll as it would be more filling for a big hike. She'll be exhausted tonight after her late night, early start and then a big hike as well.

MeadowHay Sat 28-Apr-18 10:33:54

I am a boring sandwich-taker I'm afraid. When I remember/have the energy to make a sandwich in advance blush. We have started again this week though so fingers crossed we continue the good habits. I'm only actually at work for another month anyway shock. We try to have a variety of fillings and different breads to make it more interesting so we have seedy bread or bagels or flatbreads etc and for fillings we have different cheeses, Quorn 'meats', three-cheese mixes, peanut butter etc and different salad items (well not with the peanut butter!). I enjoy my sandwiches as long as I'm not eating the same thing every day for more than 2 or 3 days tops in a row.

Hi I have popped in again grin. I am struggling with my anxiety atm now I've started thinking about giving birth and my baby suddenly shot up to the 95th centile on my growth chart last time I saw the MW with my fundal height measurement, which if accurate would mean my baby would be 10lbs if overdue...so now I'm getting obsessively anxious about giving birth and considering asking for an ELCS if baby continues to measure so big. ARGH. Not seeing the midwife again until next Tuesday but think I will also ask for a referral to the perinatal mental health team. I'm literally having nightmares about giving birth now it's getting out of control, any time I have free time that is all I think about and I get palpitations etc sad. Have reserved two books from the library, one about positive birth and the other about hypnobirthing although someone else has them til next Tuesday, I hope they return them on time cos hopefully they will help me relax and be more positive about it all.

ememem84 Sat 28-Apr-18 10:44:06

meadow ds measured big too but was a nice average 7lb. I was scared of a big baby too as dnephew was 10lb! How big were you and dh?

Re birth anxiety. The best advice I was given was to trust your body. It knows what to do. So just go with it. (And someone else told me to relax - easier said than done though!)

I’d also make sure it’s written in your notes re your anxiety. And make sure that dh knows to tell them about your anxiety once the time comes.

nannynick Sat 28-Apr-18 10:47:56

Thanks for the lunch tips. Will need to experiment - Cous cous with hard boiled egg perhaps.

CremeEggThief Sat 28-Apr-18 10:52:02

Thanks for the new thread, Quitestar.

Wolfcub Sat 28-Apr-18 11:23:33

Em I like the sound of that lunch plan. Claiming for the oven on the insurance is likely to be false economy unless your excess is very low. I replace our oven every two to three years because they always break and I’ve never paid more than 200 for one although I am limited by the size of the space and the fact it needs a wired plug so you have to be careful about wattage and things

Wolfcub Sat 28-Apr-18 11:33:24

I love couscous Quite and that’s a perfect idea for the local office.

Laska5772 Sat 28-Apr-18 11:55:16

Soup.. I make huge pots of soup on a Sunday and take in one everyday until its gone, but then I dont mind having the same every day..it usually veg soup ( but not strictly veggie as i will put bits of left over meat in also) , often lentil based or a sort of 'minestrone' , but if not soup ill make a pot of veggie curry or chilli. We have a microwave at work..

I also have scrambled eggs with a slice of Brunswick ham chopped into it for breakfast most days .. again in the microwave at work..

lifelongfrugaleer Sat 28-Apr-18 11:57:42

Thanks quite

Being in town there is a culture of going out and buying lunch. Not me. #frugaleer

lifelongfrugaleer Sat 28-Apr-18 11:59:33

What work facilities do you have for lunch. I'm missing the toaster at my old work

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 12:03:48

I love soup and do vats of it and freeze in pots to reheat at work.
Office canteen charges £2.75 for a small pot of lentil soup hmm and a roll.

Feeling super frugal as have just put fruit to soak in tea for 2 tea breads but didnt have enough dried fruit so used up a jar of mincemeat grin
DC says Im a genius not a hint of sarcasm wink

QuiteCleanBandit Sat 28-Apr-18 12:05:15

Mmm smells like 🎄🎄🎄

This thread is not accepting new messages.