Talk

Advanced search

Peeing in hotel kettles?!

(161 Posts)
mnahmnah Mon 01-Apr-19 18:02:35

Me, DH and DC have just checked into an airport hotel, flying in the morning. First thing I do is put the kettle on for a cup of tea. DH pulls a face and says ‘urgh, I wouldn’t use that, people pee in the kettles!’. I told him not to be so ridiculous and proceeded to drink my cup of tea, although all the while thinking of pee. Which rather ruined it anyway.

Am I BU for using it? Or is he being ridiculous? Is peeing in kettles actually a thing?! And does it vary from say, um, a Travelodge or the Radisson Blu?!

Goandplay Mon 01-Apr-19 18:03:40

Oh god I hope not!

QuestionableMouse Mon 01-Apr-19 18:03:58

I guess it could happen but I doubt it's very common. I stay in various hotels every few months and have suffered no ill effects.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Mon 01-Apr-19 18:04:35

What?! WHY?! Why would they do that?!

mnahmnah Mon 01-Apr-19 18:05:38

Exactly - why would anyone need to?!

TheQueef Mon 01-Apr-19 18:05:45

Always change the water.
Always.

mnahmnah Mon 01-Apr-19 18:06:36

No water in it. Was empty, dry, very shiny and new looking

GreatDuckCookery Mon 01-Apr-19 18:10:07

I believe it’s a thing. I’ve read about it on MN I think. God only knows why anyone would do it, iirc I think drunken antics were quoted.

Pimmsypimms Mon 01-Apr-19 18:11:12

Whenever I stay in a hotel or b&b, the first thing I do is rinse out the kettle, boil the water, pour it down the sink once boiled and then boil again to use for tea.
I also wash out all cups, glasses and teaspoons.....you just never know what the previous occupants have been up to before you!!!

sue51 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:13:03

Dear god! I'm bringing my own kettle from now on.

JemSynergy Mon 01-Apr-19 18:13:08

I've heard this too, I never use the kettle is hotel room. I also wash the glasses if I have to use one.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 01-Apr-19 18:13:08

I think if was some stag night place in Blackpool yes, but not anywhere else

CuriousaboutSamphire Mon 01-Apr-19 18:13:34

DH is one of the 'class of working men' who are deemed to be the culprits. He uses hotel kettles to make both of us cups of tea.

I worked n housekeeping for a few years, seedy hotel. Never, ever saw it.

Upshot is I beleive it is an urban myth! Unless Pistonheads is a reliable information source

Chouetted Mon 01-Apr-19 18:14:10

Even if they do, I'd suspect any pee in your cup of tea is at homeopathic levels.

SamBaileys Mon 01-Apr-19 18:14:22

Eh? Is this a thing, what's wrong with people?!? 🤢

Chouetted Mon 01-Apr-19 18:14:53

I'd be more likely to suspect the sink as having been peed in...

PetuliaBlavatsky Mon 01-Apr-19 18:15:21

This was mentioned on QI a few series back. Female comedian (holly Walsh?) mentioned it, expecting everyone to join in and say how disgusting it was but everyone just looked at her, baffled. Maybe your DH saw it mentioned on there?!

mnahmnah Mon 01-Apr-19 18:16:01

Well I’m not sure whether to be reassured or sick! I’m going with optimistic I think, it’s a family room in an airport hotel. Not stag central in Blackpool. So it should be fine. I think. confused

mnahmnah Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:06

And DH is the doom and gloom type, so intend to ignore what he says anyway grin

PinkiOcelot Mon 01-Apr-19 18:17:52

I’ve never heard of that. Disgusting if it’s true!

MissConductUS Mon 01-Apr-19 18:18:13

Now I'm glad that hotels in the US only have coffeemakers in the rooms.

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 01-Apr-19 18:19:56

I know someone who used a teaspoon to chop a poo up which was blocking the loo, washed it in the sink and put it back! Why on Earth they didn't bin it I have no idea!

MissPollyHadADolly19 Mon 01-Apr-19 18:20:33

Worked in a hotel as a weekend housekeeper, trust me it happens - also finding undies in the kettle is not too uncommon either and occasionally sick aswell.

KaterinaPetrova Mon 01-Apr-19 18:21:03

I used to own a busy B&B and we never had that happen. Pee in the bed? Yep. Pee in the sink? Sadly, yes judging by the smell. But the kettles remained pee free. I have read on forums before that guests have boiled their dirty underwear to clean them for the next day though. confused

I always thoroughly wash out a hotel room kettle before use, and then one told two full boil and water dumps before I'll make myself a cuppa.

NicoAndTheNiners Mon 01-Apr-19 18:21:15

Please say the kettles are thrown out if you find wee in them?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »