Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boss telling me my mouth smells

(86 Posts)
SugarnetMum Wed 10-May-17 20:33:44

I brush my teeth every morning before work obviously, shower etc. My boss has told me twice in the last two weeks while pointing at his mouth that there is a smell from my "mouth" no one else has ever told me this including my boyfriend who I'm with every minute of the day! Or mother etc
I've now resorted to being paranoid constantly smelling my breath and bringing chewing gum.. Aibu to think he's just a dickhead? Trying to put me down?

He usually only says it if I'm correcting him on something regarding work....

Although hes pretty straight forward and tells me to tell him if there's ever something on his face or a smell..

:S I feel horrible and smelly even though I'm always clean..

ShowMePotatoSalad Wed 10-May-17 20:35:07

How weird! Even if there was an issue, he's not handling it appropriately.

Floggingmolly Wed 10-May-17 20:35:54

What a weirdo...

DutyCalls Wed 10-May-17 20:37:42

If he only says it when you are correcting him and such, could he be insinuating that you are talking shit? Or something like that confused Ass

Fruitcorner123 Wed 10-May-17 20:38:27

This is horrible! Why not ask your boyfriend to be totally honest about it just to make sure but it sounds like he is just being unkind if it's when you say something he doesn't like. What exactly was the context of the conversation? If there is a smell could it be a garlic smell or a stale tea/coffee smell that he just doesn't like? If so he still has been rude and not dealt with it well. Do you get on with him generally?

summerblonde Wed 10-May-17 20:38:45

Maybe he means your talking 'poo'. I am not suggesting for one minute you are, it's just the way he does it when you're correcting his work. Either way he sounds like a tool.

Arkhamasylum Wed 10-May-17 20:38:49

Do you think that this is his 'funny' way of telling you that you're talking shit, rather than saying that your breath smells? He sounds like an arse, either way.

Huldra Wed 10-May-17 20:38:54

If he only says it when you're correcting him, does he mean to wierdly imply something like - you're talking crap?

I think if he's only doing it when you're correcting him, he's saying you're talking shit.

He sounds like a proper dickhead.

Arkhamasylum Wed 10-May-17 20:39:22

Double cross post grin

Huldra Wed 10-May-17 20:39:42

He does sound like an arse either way.

Mothervulva Wed 10-May-17 20:40:09

If no one else can smell it, then I would think he's trying to humiliate you and put you off from criticising him. Could you say if he says it again you'll speak to HR.

ImperialBlether Wed 10-May-17 20:41:09

I think you should go to the dentist and ask for their opinion - they will tell you straight. As far as your boss is concerned, I think you should report this to HR.

ShesAStar Wed 10-May-17 20:41:21

If you lick your hand and sniff where you've licked you should get an indication of if your breath smells. You can use breath freshener but I would imagine if you've got smelly breath you would know about it.

ShesAStar Wed 10-May-17 20:43:02

Having read PP I think they're right, he's saying your talking shit. What an arsehole.

NoOneLikesACrispyTowel Wed 10-May-17 20:43:23

The lick and sniff thing does NOT work. I suggested that to a friend and she said she was fine.
She really wasn't.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Wed 10-May-17 20:44:00

A really good way to check is to floss and have a quick sniff of the floss after each tooth. It there is a smelly tooth the floss 😷
Sorry if that's gross but if I was in your shoes I would prefer to know.
He might be incredibly rude and nasty
Or he might be one of those people who speaks his mind and doesycare if it offends

CauliflowerSqueeze Wed 10-May-17 20:45:08

Just say "I was about to say the same about you"

He's telling you you're talking shit!

fannydaggerz Wed 10-May-17 20:46:52

Be careful with consuming chewing gum. It can cause a runny bum.

Garlicansapphire Wed 10-May-17 20:52:28

Assuming he's not being an ass (which there is a reasonablr chance of I reckon) - a friend of mine did have a problem with this but no one really wanted to tell her - she had an abcess round a rotting tooth. Have you been to the dentist recently? Sorry!!

PicardsCombOver Wed 10-May-17 20:57:34

Next time he says this simply tell him 'No, your nose is just too close to your mouth'.

Squishedstrawberry4 Wed 10-May-17 20:57:56

Ask a friend or two. Take extra measures. Brush your tongue. Mouth wash. Mints. Do you drink a lot of coffee or eat garlic?

Next time he says it, tell him 'while we are in the subject of smell, I think it's appropriate for me to mention that you need a stronger deoderent'

gamerchick Wed 10-May-17 20:59:23

He's saying you're talking shit. Not that you smell.

You need a good comeback.

Instasista Wed 10-May-17 21:00:38

I think you need to ask your boss what he mean s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now