Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The TerFblocker list

145 replies

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 10:06

Are there any legal people here who could answer a few questions about the legality of this list?

1- The list is held/created by a political party candidate so surely this list must comply with data protection rules given its political in nature?

2- what’s the legality of a political party candidate using such a list to not only silence women but also people in the constituency they plan to run for?

3- data protection has very specific rules on the holding of data especially when that data includes names, locations and sexual orientation. There are many women on that list using real names, their town locations and declaring their sexual orientation primarily leabians. Does this list fall under those rules?

It is created and presumably ‘held’ in the UK given who created it.

4- could the list be considered a form of deformation of character given everyone on it is labelled a ‘terf’?

5 does the list cause any issue with regards to the equality act (I think) given its mostly women and highly sexist?

6 what about safeguarding if there are under 18s on that list? Holding data on children is a different kettle of fish surely?

7- Are there any other issues such a list could cause given its held and used by people in positions of power to primarily silence an oppressed class - women?

8- what rules must political party candidates adhere to when creating lists of this nature?

This list has existed for a while and I can’t find anybody information whether it’s legal, whether there are any conflicts or if the latests GDPR rules apply. Specifically because of who created it and it’s intent.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ereshkigal · 04/09/2018 17:30

Repeat of my earlier post:

Just for info as it's confusing:

The name of Aimee's blocklist was @BlockTERFs. It was apparently suspended in April this year for Twitter TOS violations. @TERFblocker was originally run by some one else other than the current one (probably a gay man) but he had an argument with Madigan when Madigan said "cis gay men" were transphobic and in the resulting Twitterstorm deleted the account. It was hilarious to witness.

Another person jumped in to create their own *@TERFblocker** blocklist who I understand is an MTF. This account goes further than just being a blocklist, it actively participates in doxxing women online and organising targeted reporting and other harassment both on Twitter and elsewhere and is best buddies with the likes of Kilgore Sprout. Block them.

Please
or

Ereshkigal · 04/09/2018 17:31

Don't know why the bolding is like that but it did it the first time as well!

Please
or

Fallingirl · 04/09/2018 17:46

Sunsetbeetch, this made me laugh:
known for lass blocking
You are not wrong, though 😂

Please
or

Vickyyyy · 04/09/2018 18:05

I seem to be on a few 200k blocklists

User @suchnerve is blocking 262109 users on Twitter (updated a day ago). Showing 500 per page.

And a 150k one

User @Olfactory_Hues is blocking 153404 users on Twitter (updated 4 days ago). Showing 500 per page.

Please
or

Vickyyyy · 04/09/2018 18:06

User @izs is blocking 264357 users on Twitter (updated 4 days ago). Showing 500 per page.

600k one!

User @mlubert is blocking 590363 users on Twitter (updated 4 days ago). Showing 500 per page.

Along with another 8 10k+ ones

Wow.

Please
or

raisinsraisins · 04/09/2018 18:19

SunsetBeetch - Acebadger, who you referred to yesterday in your post, holds a prominent position in the Young Green Party!

Please
or

TinselAngel · 04/09/2018 18:39

I'm blocked by @terfblocker on twitter, which presumably means I'm on the list?

They must have gone through all the gender critical accounts and blocked everybody who follows them.

My transgender ex discovered my gender critical-ness via Twitter he said. I wonder if he found me on the list?

Please
or

redsummershoes · 04/09/2018 18:42

how can I find out if I'm on the list?

Please
or

madja · 04/09/2018 19:23

Well, I'm on a few apparently. Who knew little old me was so dangerous!
Actually, I'm pretty annoyed about it.

Please
or

raisinsraisins · 04/09/2018 22:22

Crazy! Would you believe Boy George is on TerfBlocker!!!

An iconic gay man, ahead of this time.... He is gender critical, maybe because he knows that he is a gay man who wears flamboyant hats and wears make up but knows that he still a man, and I guess he is not attracted to other men just because they present as women...

Please
or

arranfan · 04/09/2018 22:26

Would you believe Boy George is on TerfBlocker!!!

Apparently, tho' it may be unrelated, Boy George tweeted something along the lines: Be More Than Your Pronouns

But, who knows?

Please
or

MipMipMip · 04/09/2018 22:36

I'll read properly in a minute but while I remember....

Tweet "what blocklists " to Take a look at The Unblocker (@unblock_list): twitter.com/unblock_list?s=09 and they'll tell you what lists you're on.

It's an interesting idea. The fact they share the list could be relevant too. Time to contact the ICO?

Please
or

MipMipMip · 04/09/2018 23:43

Sorry for any repetition. Note to self: even if it seems a good idea, read before writing.

Please
or

raisinsraisins · 05/09/2018 07:52

*women just because they present as men.

Please
or

ShrodingersSturdyPyjamas · 05/09/2018 11:31

They don't like you knowing what block list you are on do they?

The 'doctor' will see you in his office for a severe punishment as soon as he doxxes you.

The TerFblocker list
Please
or

Kyanite · 05/09/2018 11:37

If you use that account to check, they can see who checked and then block them.

Please
or

arranfan · 05/09/2018 11:52

I'm beginning to be a little concerned for AH. What on earth is going on? Is nobody from AH's deanery or even AH's 'responsible officer' talking to him?

Please
or

howonearthdidwegethere · 05/09/2018 12:05

ICO advice re lodging a complaint here: ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/raising-concerns/

Contact the Green Party here: my.greenparty.org.uk/form/enquiries

Suggested text:

I would like the Green Party to confirm whether or not Aimee or David Challenor had access to Green Party membership data whilst they were party members/activists which could have enabled them to develop the algorithm for the TERF blocker list they created for use on Twitter. This block list, which Caroline Lucas revealed last week was the subject of a discussion within the Green Party, is anti-democratic and potentially prevents elected representatives who use it from being able to engage with some of their constituents. It also enables extremist trans right activists to identify and target women who are raising legitimate concerns about the proposed reform of the Gender Recognition Act, such as the attack on Maria Maclachan at Hyde Park Corner in September 2017. I understand that before reporting my concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) I should give you the chance to deal with it. If, when I receive your response, I would still like to report my concern to the ICO, I will give them a copy of it to consider. You can find guidance on your obligations under information rights legislation on the ICO’s website (www.ico.org.uk) as well as information on their regulatory powers and the action they can take. Please send a full response within one calendar month. If you cannot respond within that timescale, please tell me when you will be able to respond.

Please
or

Vickyyyy · 05/09/2018 12:17

God, the gleefulness about possible doxxing..its just vile. Why would they want to know which twitter users are mumsnetters anyway? Pathetic.

Please
or

Juells · 05/09/2018 13:56

Burn the witches.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?