Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The TerFblocker list

145 replies

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 10:06

Are there any legal people here who could answer a few questions about the legality of this list?

1- The list is held/created by a political party candidate so surely this list must comply with data protection rules given its political in nature?

2- what’s the legality of a political party candidate using such a list to not only silence women but also people in the constituency they plan to run for?

3- data protection has very specific rules on the holding of data especially when that data includes names, locations and sexual orientation. There are many women on that list using real names, their town locations and declaring their sexual orientation primarily leabians. Does this list fall under those rules?

It is created and presumably ‘held’ in the UK given who created it.

4- could the list be considered a form of deformation of character given everyone on it is labelled a ‘terf’?

5 does the list cause any issue with regards to the equality act (I think) given its mostly women and highly sexist?

6 what about safeguarding if there are under 18s on that list? Holding data on children is a different kettle of fish surely?

7- Are there any other issues such a list could cause given its held and used by people in positions of power to primarily silence an oppressed class - women?

8- what rules must political party candidates adhere to when creating lists of this nature?

This list has existed for a while and I can’t find anybody information whether it’s legal, whether there are any conflicts or if the latests GDPR rules apply. Specifically because of who created it and it’s intent.

OP posts:
Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 12:28

eresh that could be the one I’m thinking about. I didn’t see the madigan part just the angry tweets from the person who ran the account.

OP posts:
Please
or

StickyStuffRemover · 27/08/2018 12:32

Oldstyle, yes Woolbert is also a convicted sex offender. They had some standing in the TRA community but were forced to step down when this was uncovered.

Please
or

SciFiFan2015 · 27/08/2018 12:34

With regards to the GDPR related questions (and I think they have lots of merit) you could call the ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) and get guidance.

Please
or

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas · 27/08/2018 12:37

If there are 50,000 people on that list and I am one of them, would there be 50,000 cases of libel?

Please
or

StickyStuffRemover · 27/08/2018 12:42

This one appears to be defunct, or it never got off the ground

The TerFblocker list
Please
or

Seeingadistance · 27/08/2018 12:44

I use Twitter rarely, and still can’t really get my head round how it works. I do have two accounts though, one in my own name which I have occasionally actively used in a gender critical way, and another under/in which I follow a lot of gc accounts.

I’ve found that both of my accounts have been blocked by the likes of Adrian Harrop and LOJ, and other I have never interacted with. Does this mean that I’m on a block list? How can you know?

Please
or

IncrediblySturdyPyjamas · 27/08/2018 12:53

Does this mean that I’m on a block list? How can you know?

Yes most likely.

Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 13:00

Yep seeing. I had never tweeted GC stuff either and was automatically silenced because I followed a couple of GC lesbians in an attempt to make my twitter women centric.

OP posts:
Please
or

IAmSproutycus · 27/08/2018 13:07

I seem to be blocked by no one, which is an obvious sign that I need to up my game 😁

Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 13:10

OP posts:
Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 13:14

The block list in that document comes up with ‘error no such block list’

If the list hasn’t been deleted. WHen was it deleted, who deleted and when the hell are we going to get a decent comment on why it was allowed to be created in the first place?

OP posts:
Please
or

arranfan · 27/08/2018 13:21

It seems there's now a new block list in preparation if the self-promoting Radio FMStomp tweet can be relied upon in any way (scroll down comments):

twitter.com/MeghanEMurphy/status/1033951684819476480

Please
or

SingeBuggerCack · 27/08/2018 13:25

In my personal opinion it should be completely unacceptable for any politician to use any kind of mass blocking list.

Please
or

Bronners78 · 27/08/2018 13:26

What about Cult Blocker Pro, blocking nearly 20,000 accounts of ‘TRAs’?

blocktogether.org/show-blocks/h_vsu-dwQBEHqBWyVI1xbgdmWMTq8GiARYK-NvtB

The TerFblocker list
Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 13:29

Oh I am blocked by them too! The radio FM. Honestly blocked by a radio station 🤣🤣

OP posts:
Please
or

Delendaest · 27/08/2018 13:30

Hi, Bronners78. Yes, I did rather wonder when someone was going to mention the ‘gcs’’ very own block list.

Please
or

UpstartCrow · 27/08/2018 13:32

I haven't heard of the cult block list. Are MP's and political parties using it?
Does every GC person use it?
Does it encourage people to attack trans rights activists?

Please
or

ScienceIsTruth · 27/08/2018 13:32

I'm on 25 different block lists, many used by people I've never interacted with in any way.

Please
or

Oldstyle · 27/08/2018 13:35

Delendaest I think the OP is focused on publicly-accountable organisations using block-lists to silence citizens who disagree with them - specifically political parties.

Please
or

SingeBuggerCack · 27/08/2018 13:35

What about Cult Blocker Pro, blocking nearly 20,000 accounts of ‘TRAs’?

What about it? The original post is very clearly about blocking lists created by people with official standing within political parties and potentially with access to member details. Does that apply to Cult Blocker Pro?

Please
or

DuckingGoodPJs · 27/08/2018 13:44

I haven't heard of the cult block list.

Neither have I, and I doubt any GC woman would bother using it. Sounds like something TRAs made up to justify their own, multiple, 'terf' blocking lists. They seriously do that sort of thing.

The whole thing about the 'terf' blocker list, is that it is supposed to shield the poor delicate little genderists from anything that will burst their bubble. However, they seem to spend a lot of time MONITORING places like here for women's wrong think.

Pointless. Perhaps a little like themselves I suspect.

Please
or

FourRustedHorses · 27/08/2018 13:48

bronners

My problem is political candidates using them, allegedly inclusive public organisations, political parties and it’s emplyed memebers if staff.

If a private individual wishes to use a block list fine - I don’t use them but ultimately understand why people choose to use them to remove themselves from attempted harassment and abuse. I have concerns how any list is moderated because one persons diagreement is another persons abuse and vice versa.

My problem is those in positions of power creating lists abusive language to name those lists with the intent to silence predominately women and lesbians , it is a big deal and the fact the list was/is kept private (as confirmed by documents etc) and you have to request to subscribe. That in itself is suspicious as hell. No one has a way to see if their data is being held by a political candidate and/or associates, how that data is being held and for what purposes. Under the law we have a right to request any information held about us and a clear policy about the collection of that data and it’s use. This list has neither, was/is created by a prominant candidate and allegedly had a pedophile rapist involved in its creation bringing safeguarding issues into this too. By being blocked we have neither the ability to engage nor request the information held about us.

This isn’t about being trans this is about worrisome collection and use of data and attempts to silence specific groups from engaging politically.

OP posts:
Please
or

Kyanite · 27/08/2018 13:57

That's interesting...I'm blocked by NUS_LBGT but not by evrydayfeminism, so they must use different lists.

Please
or

SingeBuggerCack · 27/08/2018 14:09

Neither have I, and I doubt any GC woman would bother using it. Sounds like something TRAs made up to justify their own, multiple, 'terf' blocking lists. They seriously do that sort of thing.

Either that or the vast majority of accounts on the list are sock puppet abusive trolls, the dick pic DIAF rape threat types. Which is just the tiniest bit different from the accounts of gender critical women who follow the ‘wrong’ accounts or might have liked a tweet once or who persist on asking inconvenient questions.

Please
or

OhtheHillsareAlive · 27/08/2018 14:13

Oldstyle, yes Woolbert is also a convicted sex offender. They had some standing in the TRA community but were forced to step down when this was uncovered

They're threatening legal action on Twitter. reading this thread But I always thought that the truth was a solid defence against slander or libel?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?