Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Report the Raoul Moat FB page to get it deleted

48 replies

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 13:08

www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/RIP-RAOUL-MOAT-YOU-LEGEND-3/131022780267789?ref=ts

link to the page. I have reported as it contains hate language. some of the comments are vile and I restricted myself to the first page.

Talksport are running a campaign to get the page deleted. The more people who report, the quicker it will be removed.

(just posted this in news, but having reconsidered, it may belong here)

OP posts:
TheShriekingHarpy · 13/07/2010 13:55

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 14:16

i wasn't aware of that programme TSH. certainly not interested in being involved in or starting a bunfight.

OP posts:
sethstarkaddersmum · 13/07/2010 15:07

do you consider all hate speech to count merely as 'dissent', TSH, or only when it is against women? (I am assuming Stainesmassif is referring to comments such as the ones saying that it served Moat's ex-girlfriend right for not keeping her legs together.)

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 15:14

pretty much, seth, comments along the lines of 'this should teach women everywhere a lesson'. i stopped reading at that.

OP posts:
TheShriekingHarpy · 13/07/2010 15:34

Message withdrawn

TheShriekingHarpy · 13/07/2010 15:35

Message withdrawn

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 15:45

I applaud your intentions TSH, but the group is a forum condoning violence against women. I'd report any similar page that I came across, and thought that other MN posters would feel similarly.

OP posts:
sethstarkaddersmum · 13/07/2010 15:51

Er, because I'm not joining a 'Moat you legend' page and thus adding my name to the 20 000-odd supporters in order to post on it!

TheShriekingHarpy · 13/07/2010 15:56

Message withdrawn

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 16:00

yes seth, i didn't fancy having 'stainesmassif became a fan of raoul moat you legend' in my fb notifications.

i can see the appeal actually, the renegade, misunderstood gentle giant. but it's not true!

OP posts:
nellie12 · 13/07/2010 16:05

Actually TSH may have a point.

I am completely against the Raoul moat legend page and think its sick, but, if it is taken down it is just censored.

Otoh if a rival page is set up denouncing the man and his actions and supporting his victims, perhaps that sends out a stronger message?

Especially if it has more signatures (whatever, bit naive about facebook). It also serve the purpose of letting his victims and their families know that many of us do support them and feel sympathy for them.I can only imagine how they must feel right now

Or am I being naive about facebook? If I am say so.

stainesmassif · 13/07/2010 16:32

TSH has an excellent point, however, the page is a haven for incitement of hatred towards women. maybe i'm too lazy to join the page and have it out with each individual, and report each post. i'm not interested in policing fb. at all!

OP posts:
sethstarkaddersmum · 13/07/2010 16:35

FB has conditions of use which include not using the site for hate speech. People who choose to join sign up to that. They can put their sick stuff somewhere else on the internet which does not have these terms and conditions.

TheShriekingHarpy · 14/07/2010 08:29

Message withdrawn

dittany · 14/07/2010 08:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foreverastudent · 14/07/2010 08:45

done

lemonmuffin · 14/07/2010 08:54

Agree with TSH.

TheShriekingHarpy · 14/07/2010 10:01

Message withdrawn

TheShriekingHarpy · 14/07/2010 10:06

Message withdrawn

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 14/07/2010 12:07

Actually I think dittany was being pretty fair. She's not sounding "threatened" to me, she's just reminding posters that you are always ready to spend a great deal of time in order to argue against even the basic tenets of feminism (like "violence against women is common and should be stopped" for example). I thought it was just a kindly note to others to not waste too much time trying to make you understand why this group is so offensive and upsetting.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 14/07/2010 13:14

reported the page btw. it's vile

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 14/07/2010 13:25

I have somehow missed on on most of the reporting on this case - just knew he was on the run really. But what's astonishing (or not) is that people are blaming his ex-girlfriend for what he did to himself and others.

A quick look reveals that they'd been together since she was 16 and he was 31 - anyone smelling a rat yet? Also that he was in prison for assaulting a child...don't know anything else about that case. So we can assume that he was a violent guy. Yet when she seizes the opportunity to leave him, suddenly she's in the wrong?

And then the police totally ignored the warning of a threat to her life. Typical of a force that doesn't seem interested in protecting women, especially from the men (current and former partners) who are statistically the most likely to try to kill them.

Let's face it, if he had been released and just gone on to kill her, and no men were victims, this would have been out of the news weeks ago.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Janos · 14/07/2010 13:29

Samantha Stobbarts family and David Rathband have said that they find the existence of the facebook page and or whatever it is distressing so I think that is a very good argument for having it deleted.

TheShriekingHarpy · 14/07/2010 15:06

Message withdrawn

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 14/07/2010 15:13

I thought you'd notice that one, TSH

I guess I disagree with you there, TSH. Free speech is great (have some experience of countries where it isn't permitted), but it has to be a balance between "free speech" and incitement to hatred. Have you looked on there? It's all "that c*nt [Sam S] deserved it" and "let's get out there and kill all coppers". I don't care if people want to set up a group idealising anyone, Hitler or bloody Frank Skinner I don't mind. But if it's being totally offensive about victims of crime I think there has to be a balance between the value of the free speech and upsetting a lot of people.

Plus it's correct that joining up to facebook you promise not to do certain things, e.g. break copyright or incite people to violence. Do you think FB should have to allow this stuff to stay up?

If this was a racial attack, and this was a page full of racist, or antisemitic stuff for example, would you be so in favour of it staying up?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.