My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

The weights room

Is everyone back in the gym now?

47 replies

nephrofox · 08/08/2020 23:04

Hi

So from 2019 until lockdown I had a PT and was really enjoying lifting weights.
Over lockdown I have really struggled to maintain the routines. I've been walking, running etc but none of it has the effect that proper weights did.

My old routine was variations of deadlift, squats, chest press, assisted pull ups & dips etc. Deadlift max of 85kg (120% bw) so not something i can replicate at home with tins of beans.

All along I've been thinking all would be well once the gyms reopen. Expect now they are and I still don't have the childcare or full covid confidence to go. Should have seen that one coming really.

Is anyone else in the same position? Were you all more organised and found proper replacement routines when the gyms were shut? Can anyone advise?

OP posts:
Tomorrowisanewday · 30/08/2020 13:28

And to be fair, almost everyone in my gym cleaned things down as a matter of course before the pandemic.

Foggymist · 30/08/2020 13:32

I'm in Ireland not UK but I've been back in the gym since last June thankfully. Had some classes outdoors but we are okay to be inside now with a numbers limit, social distancing, lots of sanitising, no masks.

KatherineJaneway · 30/08/2020 15:09

Our gym is quite quiet. Strict control of who goes in as you have a set 10 minute slot within which to arrive for your booked slot, too far outside that your card won't let you in.

Rae36 · 31/08/2020 12:24

I'm in Scotland and I was back in the gym today! 6am, first possible class.
I go to a small gym with small group classes, now only 4 people at a time. It felt really safe and I managed bigger weights than I thought I would. I was quite pleased with myself.
Lots of hand sanitiser, lots of space, lots of time for wiping everything down at the end. Felt completely safe.

KatherineJaneway · 31/08/2020 14:13

My gym hasn't been as busy as normal but u do wonder if that will change when kids go back to school soon (here).

KatherineJaneway · 31/08/2020 14:15

'I' not 'u'

InDeoEstMeaFiducia · 31/08/2020 14:18

Going back to the gym tomorrow!

bengalcat · 31/08/2020 14:23

I was back in the 1st week it opened . Class sizes are smaller and variation from usual times but overall it’s good . There are still online on demand classes available .

Coquohvan · 31/08/2020 14:39

Yup back today Scotland, felt really safe wipes and sprays everywhere. Pick up your own spray & cloth to clean equipment you touch, end of session put them on The used table/bin. Staff going round Using bacterial misting machine.
Booking app hourly slots, after 5pm 1.5hr slots.
So proud of our daughter & Sil who own the gym, they have weathered the almost 6 mths closure to get here today.

roundandsideways · 01/09/2020 14:52

I went back and encountered a new problem, and think it's because it's mostly empty with less staff. A man stood and commented on how I looked while working out. I was too shocked to say anything and trying to concentrate on keeping up my form. Never had this before.
Hoping to go at different times when the kids go back to school, so I can avoid the idiot

ItalianHat · 01/09/2020 16:39

Please report him to the club. It’s totally inappropriate for one club member to comment on another in that way. You should be able to work out without being sexually harassed.

KatherineJaneway · 02/09/2020 07:32

Please report him. That sort of behaviour is not tolerated in any gym I've been a member of.

Hyperion100 · 02/09/2020 07:38

Both my local gym and central london gym are running at matbe 10% usual capacity.

OP, if you're really not up for going back yet, buy a kettlebell. If you DL for 85kg, go for a 12kg or 16k.

16 will be perfect for swings, 12 will be better for presses.

Tomorrowisanewday · 02/09/2020 08:55

Went back yesterday. Wasn't hugely quieter than would normally be at the time I was in. Equipment and benches moved or blocked off for social distancing. Disinfectant sprays and cloths everywhere. Different, but not different enough to put me off.

And I slept like a baby last night after it!!

Mooserp · 04/09/2020 17:41

I haven't been back yet, had my membership frozen until end of August. I have been doing workouts in my garage, I've got quite a few old weights and I got some bands and mats for the floor. I enjoy it as I can dance about and try different things without worrying about anyone else seeing me!

I've no idea how busy the gym is. I fancy going there to get a decent shower (don't have one at home) but I'm not sure if they are open.

Tomorrowisanewday · 04/09/2020 20:56

Depends on the gym - showers at mine are, but gym I do work for hasn't opened theirs

KatherineJaneway · 05/09/2020 06:02

No showers, changing facilities or water fountain available at ours.

Mooserp · 05/09/2020 13:30

mine is Virgin active

KatherineJaneway · 05/09/2020 14:04

Dies anyone's gym limit the time spent there? Or if they advised time does anyone stick to it?

Tomorrowisanewday · 06/09/2020 13:11

Mine doesn't, but a friend gets a badge at hers with the time written on she has to leave by. Haven't heard if it's being policed or not

KatherineJaneway · 07/09/2020 06:55

Interesting. I stay over the hour now as the gym isn't that busy, plenty of space and I go at quiet times.

Bwlch · 12/09/2020 12:05

I've been back for a couple of months now since lockdown was relaxed in England. Outdoors at first and then in. Currently abroad on holiday but hitting the gym every morning at 6:30, although I am working out on my own.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.