Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chicago Med - should all the doctors be struck off, or just most of them?

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:01

I'm all for hospital drama nonsense. I've watched ER so much I can nearly recite it. I decided to binge watch Chicago Med. It's probably the worst thing I've ever seen. I know it's TV land, but honestly, the completely irresponsible doctoring, totally unethical about treatments either given or withheld and lack of respect for patient autonomy are ridiculous. And what's with bringing every patient back down to the ED after all major surgery? Currently watching an episode where the patient back down to the bloody ED after a fucking heart transplant.*

*obviously I'm going to keep hate watching and shouting at the telly.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:03

It amazes me how they always have the staff to have 3 doctors for one patient.

Please
or

MissyB1 · 05/08/2022 20:04

Dh is a doctor and his blood pressure shoots up when he watches this! πŸ˜‚ We only watch it because our 13 year old loves it.
Yes they all need to be struck off!

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:05

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:03

It amazes me how they always have the staff to have 3 doctors for one patient.

Well I suppose since most of the doctors in the hospital actually treat all their parents in the ED, they have the extra staff around?

OP's posts:
Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:07

Chicago Fire is my guilty pleasure, Med is a light diversion. Still undecided on PD....

(trying to decide between Med and PD box set as a Christmas present)

Please
or

UkuleleRose · 05/08/2022 20:08

My favorite is when someone comes in needing a kidney/liver/what-have-you, and someone else conveniently dies so they can do an instant transplant. πŸ™„

Love the term 'hate watch!'

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:10

MissyB1 · 05/08/2022 20:04

Dh is a doctor and his blood pressure shoots up when he watches this! πŸ˜‚ We only watch it because our 13 year old loves it.
Yes they all need to be struck off!

I know a little bit about transplant protocol from work, and I get so enraged when they whip a lung/heart/kidney/brain out of one patient and bang it into the fella in the bed next door (possibly after encouraging the first patient to not bother with a life preserving treatment so they can "live on through organ donation") so i can't imagine how enraging it is if you actually know about medicine!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MissyB1 · 05/08/2022 20:10

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:05

Well I suppose since most of the doctors in the hospital actually treat all their parents in the ED, they have the extra staff around?

Yes I’m wondering who is looking after the wards?!
And why doesn’t that woman with the baby ever go home after her shift?? She skips off to the pub instead!

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:12

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:07

Chicago Fire is my guilty pleasure, Med is a light diversion. Still undecided on PD....

(trying to decide between Med and PD box set as a Christmas present)

What's PD? Am I missing a completely unrealistic med drama somewhere?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:12

UkuleleRose · 05/08/2022 20:08

My favorite is when someone comes in needing a kidney/liver/what-have-you, and someone else conveniently dies so they can do an instant transplant. πŸ™„

Love the term 'hate watch!'

Cross post!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:13

@Gubu Chicago PD... the Police bit of the Chicago universe. All three are interconnected and there crossover episodes.

Please
or

DessicatedWithering · 05/08/2022 20:14

I've watched every medical drama going and all the Chicago ones but Chicago Med is one I've given up on because it's so utterly shite. It's beyond unbelievable on any level. Even the eye candy can't make me stop wincing at the total bollocks they come out with.

Please
or

Needmorelego · 05/08/2022 20:16

@Gubu Chicago PD is the police one in the 'Chicago Trilogy'. I've never watched a full episode of any of the 3 series. Only clips here and there. I keep meaning to but as a former ER obsessive I feel a bit disloyal πŸ˜‚

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:17

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:13

@Gubu Chicago PD... the Police bit of the Chicago universe. All three are interconnected and there crossover episodes.

Ah, makes sense. The triumvirate. I've seen a few episodes of Fire but then forgot about it. Taylor Kinney has popped up in Med and reminded me to have another look.πŸ˜‰

If you're into the police thing, I've just watched SWAT on netflix. It's gloriously awful. Sadly only three seasons on there though, have to unearth the rest.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Needmorelego · 05/08/2022 20:21

I've just remembered there's a 4th - 'Chicago Justice'. A legal one. Not seen any of that though. PD has also done crossovers with various Law and Orders apparently.
I like 9-1-1 and 9-1-1 Lone Star at the moment. If you want really really unrealistic emergency services drama they are the shows to watch.

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:23

Needmorelego · 05/08/2022 20:16

@Gubu Chicago PD is the police one in the 'Chicago Trilogy'. I've never watched a full episode of any of the 3 series. Only clips here and there. I keep meaning to but as a former ER obsessive I feel a bit disloyal πŸ˜‚

County General's doctoring was much better.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:24

9-1-1 is hilarious. (But Eddie is hot...)

Please
or

Needmorelego · 05/08/2022 20:28

@PuttingDownRoots ooh yes Eddie is rather dreaming.
Of course Owen over on Lone Star (Rob Lowe) is rather handsome - especially when he went rugged and wild living in that log cabin 🀣
(I like Carlos and TK too but I am probably old enough to be one of their mums...so errr....)

Please
or

Needmorelego · 05/08/2022 20:29

dreamy not dreaming

Please
or

Gubu · 05/08/2022 20:30

It looks like 9-1-1 is on Disney. I'll have to give it a try.

OP's posts:
Please
or

isthismylifenow · 05/08/2022 20:33

I'm watching Chicago Med as well.

If I'm ever unwell in Chicago I'm never going there, it seems if you go in with a stomache ache or a sore knee, your gonna end up in d fib.

And all the tests.... CT scans and MRI scans for nearly every patient.

And Dr Daniel is always just available to a psych consult. Doesn't he ever see his other patients...

What trash. But I'm quite hooked.

Please
or

soundsofthesixties · 05/08/2022 20:40

There's that Doctor that runs everywhere snapping on his gloves, Can't remember his name.

Please
or

anotherbrewplease · 05/08/2022 20:40

I listened to a bit of Chicago Med as my DD (17) was watching. What surprised me was how much time the docs had to argue the toss over some bollocks whilst the patient is mid cardiac arrest/ major haemorrhage etc. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

it didn’t seem terribly realistic πŸ˜…

Please
or

UkuleleRose · 05/08/2022 20:42

I watched PD from the beginning. It was a lot of fun because Voight was so utterly corrupt, but I gave up after all the personnel changes. Now it's all about the relationships and omg, boring.

Love Chicago Fire, though. Kelly is HOT!

Please
or

PuttingDownRoots · 05/08/2022 20:43

Do hordes of people turn up at the hospital when someone is hurt in real life, then have a cake when they return to work?

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 05/08/2022 20:43

Chicago Fire - charming and all the characters are good

Chicago PD - dark and gritty

Chicago med lurches between the two but is often just up itself.

The Covid episodes were fascinating to see the different approaches in the US

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.