Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MURDER IN PROVENCE SUN 17 July - itv 9pm. TV PACE. NO SPOILERS

Blondeshavemorefun · 13/07/2022 11:14

New detective series starts Sunday 17th

Murder in Provence is a three-part series based on the books by M.L. Longworth.

The series follows Antoine Verlaque, Investigating Judge in Aix-en-Provence, and romantic partner Marine Bonnet as they investigate the murders, mysteries and dark underbelly of their idyllic home. Their efforts are aided by Hélène, a detective and Antoine’s trusted confidante.

hopefully will be good

giving you all notice 😃

OP's posts:
Please
or

Emotionalsupportviper · 19/07/2022 10:35

Thank you for that warning.

I eff and jeff like a docker, but I hate hearing the Lord's name taken like that. It actually makes me wince - it's horrible.

(No - I am not being sarcastic. It is really upsetting)

Please
or

musicinspring1 · 20/07/2022 21:10

I watched this last night and came to find a thread as it really distracted me that it was set in France but felt so English 😳 What’s the point of it being in Provence when everyone does feel like they are in Midsomer ?!?! I haven’t read the books so wondered if someone could enlighten me - are the characters actually supposed to be French ? I just wonder what the thought was with it - I wondered what i would have preferred - can’t decide really. Maybe more of a Death in Paradise where it feels more like they’ve made a slight effort to keep the setting and some characters that fit (although I appreciate even there a lot are British but they mostly ‘tourists on the island’)
or French with subtitles ??? Not sure …

Please
or

MrsMacIsBack · 22/07/2022 10:22

It will be a shame if Roger Allam becomes the latest 'actor in everything to get people to watch it whatever the quality'.

Please
or

musicinspring1 · 24/07/2022 22:17

antoine And marine both have such lovely voices to listen to - that and the scenery are big pluses for this series for me 😂

Please
or

VirginiaQ · 25/07/2022 10:35

musicinspring1 · 20/07/2022 21:10

I watched this last night and came to find a thread as it really distracted me that it was set in France but felt so English 😳 What’s the point of it being in Provence when everyone does feel like they are in Midsomer ?!?! I haven’t read the books so wondered if someone could enlighten me - are the characters actually supposed to be French ? I just wonder what the thought was with it - I wondered what i would have preferred - can’t decide really. Maybe more of a Death in Paradise where it feels more like they’ve made a slight effort to keep the setting and some characters that fit (although I appreciate even there a lot are British but they mostly ‘tourists on the island’)
or French with subtitles ??? Not sure …

Oh I so agree with this. I assumed they were on holiday in France at first. Then I thought they'd moved to France for some reason. The cut glass upper crust English accents were really off putting. I've never really noticed it in other things before. It all seems very 'jolly hockey sticks' which is very at odds with the fact it's set in France. There's no 'Frenchness' about it which is a shame.

Please
or

MrsMacIsBack · 25/07/2022 12:53

There are so many phone interruptions that the phones seem to have starring roles!

Please
or

Blondeshavemorefun · 25/07/2022 13:53

It’s ok. Just seen e2 last nights

I think it could be done in an hour

OP's posts:
Please
or

Notonthestairs · 25/07/2022 14:14

I really enjoyed the ITV adaptations of Maigret and view it similarly. Maybe I'm easily pleased.

The alternative are French actors and subtitles (assume ITV didn't believe they'd be sufficient sustained interest for prime time ITV1) OR French actors speaking in English OR English actors speaking English in a French accent (the worst option IMO).

I imagine getting funding required big names to secure investment so they plumped for the most workable option.

As I say I'm easily pleased!

Please
or

SortingOffice · 26/07/2022 20:28

Just watching ep1. I love it, the idea of playing French characters without a hint of French - it's daft and entertaining, proper Sunday tele.
I particularly like the relationship between Patricia Hodge and Nancy Carroll.
I'm only half way through as 1 hour of anything is enough for me but I'll definitely watch the rest.

Please
or

Elderflower14 · 26/07/2022 20:47

Came here to say what a bloody awful Russian accent from Lizzy McInnery!!!

Please
or

Quia · 26/07/2022 22:44

I have no problem with the English accents, it really irritates me when programmes deal with this by having French speaking English to each other with heavy French accents. I love Roger Allam's voice, and I'm enjoying the Douglas (as in Cabin Pressure) undertones.

Please
or

lazymum99 · 27/07/2022 09:18

It’s not a patch in Maigret but it is relaxing Sunday evening viewing. Lovely scenery and they spend an awful lot of their time eating and drinking. Patricia Hodge seems to be playing the same character as in Miranda

Please
or

C8H10N4O2 · 29/07/2022 07:52

Quia · 26/07/2022 22:44

I have no problem with the English accents, it really irritates me when programmes deal with this by having French speaking English to each other with heavy French accents. I love Roger Allam's voice, and I'm enjoying the Douglas (as in Cabin Pressure) undertones.

If the cast is all British then I agree - cod French accents just sound silly. As it is a couple of the non French accents were dreadful.

I've not read as many of the books as @Thearex but i find the "cosy, settled middle aged couple" vibe of Velaque and Bonnet jars with the much more complex relationship they have in the book. I assume their relationship was of no interest to the writers and so instead of a younger pair working out their relationship and issues interwoven with a murder we have Terry and June in Provence.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 31/07/2022 11:18

MsMcGonagall · 18/07/2022 08:32

I liked the police deputy character, such an amazing presence and face with big eyes and expression. I looked her up- Keala Settle, she was the bearded lady in the greatest showman

Oh my! I was thinking she seemed familiar somehow. Agree she’s great!

I like the show - granted it’s a big silly being in English etc etc but there’s something quite serene and pleasant about it (it ticks broadly the same boxes as death in paradise for me).

Please
or

Blondeshavemorefun · 31/07/2022 22:19

Anyone watch tonight

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mollypolly2610 · 31/07/2022 22:47

I was watching but busy
Who was the guy she met from years ago and then she threw water over him?

Please
or

diddl · 01/08/2022 09:00

Yes-the "perp" was obvious very quickly!

Please
or

lazymum99 · 01/08/2022 09:40

Mollypolly2610 · 31/07/2022 22:47

I was watching but busy
Who was the guy she met from years ago and then she threw water over him?

He was just that. A guy she knew from years ago who turned out to be somewhat stalkerish. I guessed the rather fit doctor was a bit iffy from the first meeting.
I think I have settled into these and don’t expect more than a relaxing watch and I really enjoyed last nights. What a lovely area to live in

Please
or

Iwantacampervan · 01/08/2022 12:50

I was only half watching last night and kept wondering about Flambeau talking with Lady Felicia!

Please
or

Elderflower14 · 01/08/2022 21:16

The last two episodes I guessed the killer really quickly!!

Please
or

Blondeshavemorefun · 01/08/2022 22:16

I was only half watching last night and kept wondering about Flambeau talking with Lady Felicia!

Ha ha. Me too

OP's posts:
Please
or

Djangor3725 · 02/08/2022 10:28

Watched the latest episode on catch up yesterday - went to Aix briefly a couple of years ago when on holiday - some nice old buildings but the area looked run down with big rubbish problems & a high immigrant population squashed into poor quality old properties. Was high summer so very hot & dusty everywhere. The TV footage makes it look lovely everywhere but the bit I like is Nancy's wardrobe - particularly her jumpsuits. Plots are fairly standard - endless suspects but the daft accents for the characters who are not supposed to be french or english is an odd choice. Why have any foreign accents?

Please
or

butterpuffed · 04/08/2022 19:48

I thought this last one was far better than the other two when my mind kept wandering. The Dr. looked like a baddun' from when he first appeared !

I couldn't see the point of the old 'friend' though, who Marine threw the drink over as he had nothing to do with the story.

Please
or

RetrainRetrain · 04/08/2022 22:28

Ah, thank you - I couldn't work out what was bothering me about him.

I keep thinking the male lead is the guy from Call my agent which is really confusing !

What was the bit about plastic surgery? Was she going in to hiding?

I really like two leads (and her wardrobe is awesome) but the plots are pretty holey

Please
or

kittykarate · 05/08/2022 13:53

What was the bit about plastic surgery? Was she going in to hiding?

I think the plastic surgery clinic was Dodgy Doc's previous place of employment, where he'd been erm.. dodgy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?