Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Anyone else watching Slow Horses?

BIWI · 06/05/2022 23:12

Here

Absolutely brilliant. DH and I both loved all the books, and the first series is a very faithful adaption of the first book.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SoggyPaper · 06/05/2022 23:15

I really enjoyed it. So much so I bought the book to read.

Please
or

User7493268965 · 07/05/2022 07:23

I did and looking forward to the second series, it has already been filmed alongside the first one

Please
or

BIWI · 07/05/2022 07:52

Buy all the books @SoggyPaper! They're absolutely brilliant. DH and I have, for some time now, been debating who we would cast as Jackson Lamb and I have to say that I think Gary Oldman is perfect. (As are the actors playing the other characters, but especially Diana Taverner and Roddy Ho)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/05/2022 07:57

Would love to..., I love the books but So cross that its only on apple tv.
😢

Please
or

Okbutnotgreat · 07/05/2022 07:57

We watched this and then listened to the book on audible. Gary Oldman is just brilliant and is cast perfectly but overall the casting is fantastic and faithful to the book. Really hoping there’s another season of the next book.

Please
or

BIWI · 07/05/2022 10:10

There is another season @Okbutnotgreat - it's already been filmed!

@Laska2Meryls I believe you can get a month free on apple tv, so you could easily watch them in that time.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BIWI · 07/05/2022 10:12

Here you go 7 days free trial for £4.99

(Sorry - not taking commission or anything!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 07/05/2022 11:01

Thanks Biwi ... Do you have to be an Apple user though?
I thought that you did..

Please
or

JennyAct3 · 07/05/2022 11:05

Loved it. Bought the book and so happy there is a series.

Please
or

BIWI · 07/05/2022 11:43

No @Laska2Meryls if you have a smart tv, it should be one of the apps on there

OP's posts:
Please
or

OstrichFeathers · 07/05/2022 11:58

Interesting you like Taverner, Ho and Lambe so much, they are the three I would change! Really enjoying it though and I usually hate any adaptations from books I love. Glad to hear there's a season two coming.

Please
or

SoggyPaper · 07/05/2022 12:39

I think Gary Oldman’s Lamb is much more likeable than the Lamb in the books seems to be. At least as far as I’ve read.

Please
or

Blogdog · 07/05/2022 12:42

Hadn’t read the books but really enjoyed the series. It took me an episode or two to get into it but well worth persevering. I thought the casting was excellent.

Please
or

Okbutnotgreat · 07/05/2022 12:43

@BIWI fantastic news, it’s one if the few things I’ve really got into this year. The hardest part was waiting for a new episode and not being able to binge watch the lot.

Please
or

SoggyPaper · 07/05/2022 12:48

BIWI

Buy all the books @SoggyPaper! They're absolutely brilliant. DH and I have, for some time now, been debating who we would cast as Jackson Lamb and I have to say that I think Gary Oldman is perfect. (As are the actors playing the other characters, but especially Diana Taverner and Roddy Ho)

I bought a set of six of them on Amazon. 😁

it’s really not the sort of genre I’d usually pick in a book (but would choose to watch on tv or film oddly). So it’s actually a nice change.

Please
or

TottersBlankly · 07/05/2022 13:14

I’ve watched it all. Very enjoyable on the whole, though some of the characters and relationships strained credibility.

Really loved Jackson Lamb, Roddy, Catherine, and the MI5 Director (so brutal, such amazing hair!). But I couldn’t understand all the fawning over the very bland River. And I didn’t believe in Diana, (too one dimensional, poor choice of wardrobe), Min or Louisa. Or the one who was shot and spirited away. The idiotic kidnappers were entertaining without being completely original,

Should we assume that in S2 Catherine will discover the thing Lamb didn’t tell her?

Please
or

TottersBlankly · 07/05/2022 13:16

Meant to say - the most enthralling thing in the whole show was the politician’s glorious kitchen. I wanted a lot more of that.

Please
or

NevermindNelson · 07/05/2022 18:30

I bought the book on Audible on the strength of this thread - and having loved the series. Goodness, it’s well-written. DH and I have spent the afternoon listening to it and saying, “Ooh, it’s good.” Can’t wait for the rest, feel like we’ve started a journey here.

Agree that Gary Oldman is perfect for Lamb, but Ho’s cockney accent is a bit 😬

Please
or

Tormundsbeard · 07/05/2022 23:59

One of the best series I have seen on Tv for a while. When are they showing Series 2?

Please
or

Tree543 · 08/05/2022 09:43

I really enjoyed it. Hadn't read or heard of it before. We got 3 months Apple tv free so hope the second series is on soon.

Please
or

Downtherefordancing · 08/05/2022 11:04

Agree that Gary Oldman is perfect for Lamb, but Ho’s cockney accent is a bit 😬

You do realise he is a proper eastender? His sister played Mo in Eastenders!

I have loved series one and hadn’t realised it was a book.

I got 6 months free Apple TV with Barclays. If anyone is with Barclays have a look at their offers.

Please
or

BIWI · 08/05/2022 14:25

@Downtherefordancing even better, it's a whole series of books! There are at least 6 of them. They're brilliantly written.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BOOTS52 · 09/05/2022 00:13

I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for season 2. It was light hearted and good humour and storylines and liked all the cast. Nice to watch something different and I binge watched it. Am also enjoying Shining Girls it is brilliant also.

Please
or

Netaporter · 09/05/2022 03:01

I loved it. Can’t wait for the second series which looks to have been filmed already.

Please
or

tuliplover · 09/05/2022 03:48

I got Apple TV so I could watch this. I love the books - how he describes the building is amazing. So many writers of this genre are too similar and just poor writers.
For a bunch of failed spooks on the periphery they do seem to get into the thick of things!
Agree Lamb is rather more disgusting in the books but Oldman is very good.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.