Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MsLatté’s Daebak Cybercafé (Kdrama addicts #32): Spring is in the air, it’s blossom season and the BinJin wedding was lovely. Happiness abounds!

boatyardblues · 02/04/2022 14:36

A quiet corner of MN for serious addicts of Kdrama, or the K-curious. Most of our viewing is drawn from Netflix and Viki, with a sprinkling of AmazonPrime, AppleTV and Disney+. There are also platforms streaming content illegally if you go looking. We don’t actively promote them as they are peppered with pop-ups of “Olga” and friends offering a good time, but we can point you in the right direction. We also dip into Japanese, Taiwanese & Chinese drama as & when.

The previous thread is here but our list is cumulative so includes recommendations and favourites from all previous threads.

Shows marked with an asterisk are more uniformly loved or admired. In categorising series, its important to note most Korean dramas have multiple strands - e.g. supernatural, romance and a thriller; crime series with fantasy elements. Genre-busting mash-ups are normal. Series that are tagged as dark may also have moments of comedy or the absurd, likewise fluff can have heavier moments. Writer/actor Simon Pegg referred to it fondly as “tonal chaos” - it’s part of kdrama’s charm. View the categories below as best approximate & ask if you need guidance about suitability for younger viewers.

Comedy (with a side order of absurd)
I picked up a celebrity on the street (Viki)
My Fellow Citizens (Viki/Netflix)
The Fiery Priest (Netflix)

Crime/Thriller

Come and Hug Me (Dramafast)
Graceful Family (Viki)
Healer (Netflix)
Heartless City (Viki)
He is Psychometric (Viki)
I Hear Your Voice (Netflix /Viki)

Life on Mars (classy remake of BBC series, no major site yet)
My Name (Netflix)
My Secret Terrius (Netflix)

Signal (Netflix)
Snowdrop (Disney+)
Stranger - 2 seasons (Netflix)
Suspicious Partner (Netflix)

The Lies Within (Netflix)
Tunnel (Netflix)

Historical/Period drama (“sageuk”)
100 Days My Prince (Viki/Netflix)
Crowned Clown (Viki/Netflix)
Mr Queen (Viki)

Mr Sunshine (Netflix)
Pachinko (AppleTV)
Rookie Historian Goo Hae-Ryung (Netflix)
Tale of Nokdu (Viki/Netflix)
The King’s Affection (Netflix)
The Red Sleeve (Viki)

Romance - lighter & fluffier
Beating Again (Netflix)
Business Proposal (Netflix)
Coffee Prince (Netflix)
Dali & the Cocky Prince (Viki)
Don’t Dare to Dream (Netflix, or as Jealousy Incarnate on Viki)
Gogh, The Starry Night (Viki)

Happy Once Again (Netflix)
Her Private Life (Viki)

His Master’s Sun (Netflix)
Hometown Cha Cha Cha (Viki)
Love from a Star (Netflix)

Lovestruck in the City (Netflix)
Monthly Magazine Home (Viki)
Pinocchio (Netflix)
Radio Romance (Netflix)

Romance is the Bonus Book (Netflix)
Run On (Netflix)

She Was Pretty (Netflix)

The Beauty Inside (Viki/Netflix)
The Secret Life of My Secretary (Viki/Netflix)
Thirty Not Seventeen (Viki) or as Still 17 (Netflix)
To My Star [BL] (Viki)
True Beauty (Viki)
Twenty-five Twenty-one (Netflix)
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo (Netflix/Viki)

What’s Up With Secretary Kim (Viki)

Where Stars Land (Viki)
You are my Destiny (Netflix)
You Make Me Dance [BL] (Viki)
Yumi’s Cells (Viki)

Romance - heavier weight/more grown up themes
Another Miss Oh (Netflix)

Because This Is My First Life (Viki/Netflix)*

Chicago Typewriter (Viki/Netflix)
Crash Landing on You (Netflix)**
Descendants of the Sun (Viki/Netflix)
Doctors (Netflix)
Doom At Your Service (Viki)
Fight For My Way (Viki/Netflix)

Go Back Couple (Viki)/Couple on the Backtrack (Netflix)
I’ll Go To You When The Weather is Nice (Viki)
It’s OK Not To Be OK (Netflix)

Just Between Lovers (Viki)/Rain or Shine (Netflix)
Mad For Each Other (Netflix)

Melo is my Nature (Viki)/Be Melodramatic (other sites)
My Strange Hero (Viki)
One Spring Night (Netflix)
Red Carpet - film (Netflix, very adult content)
Romantic Dr Kim - seasons 1&2 (Viki)
Search: WWW (Viki, Netflix)

Something in the Rain (Netflix)
The Handmaid (film, Netflix - content warning: explicit sexual content)
The Package (Viki)

Straighter ‘Slice of Life’ dramas on universal themes
Hospital Playlist (Netflix)
Hospital Playlist 2 (Netflix)

Into The Ring (Viki)
Itaewon Class (Netflix)
Live (Netflix)
Misaeng (Netflix)
Move to Heaven (Netflix)
My Mister (Viki/Netflix)

My Unfamiliar Family (Viki)
Navillera (Netflix)

Prison Playbook (Netflix)*

On The Verge of Insanity (Viki)
Once Again (Viki)
Stove League (Viki)/Hot Stove League (Netflix)
Racket Boys (Netflix)
Would You Like a Cup of Coffee (Viki)

Supernatural/zombies/vampires/fantasy/sci-fi - lighter & fluffier
Extraordinary You (Netflix)
Goblin (Viki)

I am not a Robot (Netflix)
Legend of the Blue Sea (Viki/Netflix)
Kiss Goblin (Viki, webdrama)
My Holo Love (Netflix)
Orange Marmalade (Netflix)
While You Were Sleeping (Viki)

Supernatural/zombies/vampires/fantasy/sci-fi - darker/more grown up themes
#Alive (Netflix)
Black (Netflix)
Happiness
(Viki)
Hotel del Luna (Viki/Netflix)
King: The Eternal Monarch (Netflix)
Kingdom (Netflix)

Kingdom: Ashin of the North (Netflix)
Mystic Pop-up Bar (Netflix)
Peninsula - film, Train to Busan sequel (Amazon Prime, iMovies)
Sisyphus (Netflix)
The Guest (Netflix)
Train to Busan - film (Amazon Prime)

W: Two Worlds (Viki & Netflix)
Zombie Detective (Viki/Netflix)

Guilty Pleasures (for the joy, not the quality)
Bride of Habaek (Netflix)
Hwarang (Viki/Netflix)
My Secret Romance (Viki)
The Last Empress (Viki/Netflix)
Sassy Go Go (Netflix)

Mad as a box of frogs/uncategorisable

Strong Girl Bong Soon (Netflix)
School Nurse Files (Netflix)

Not Korean ‘You May Also Like’
Regulars also branch out into Japanese, Taiwanese and Chinese drama. The Chinese & Taiwanese stuff is much more variable quality-wise, so we’ve noted anything decent here:

Before We Get Married (Viki - Taiwanese)
Find Yourself (Netflix - Chinese)
Go Go Squid (Viki - Chinese)
In House Marriage Honey (Viki, Japanese)
In Time With You (Viki - Japanese)
Instead of Tipsy Why Not Get Drunk (Viki, Chinese)
Lost Romance (Viki, Taiwanese)
Love O2O (Viki, Chinese)
Million Yen Women (Netflix, Japanese)
Morning Call (Netflix, Japanese)
My Little Happiness (Viki, Chinese)
Put Your Head on My Shoulder (Netflix, Chinese)
Rinko Wants To Try (Viki)
Some Day or One Day (Viki, Taiwanese)
The Romance of Tiger & Rose (Viki, Chinese)
To Fly with Me (Viki, Chinese)
Tientsin Mystic (Netflix, Chinese)
You Are My Hero (Viki, Chinese)

AVOID aka “the shit list” 💩

Melting Me Softly
The Birth of a Beauty
Well-Intentioned Love season 1 (S2 is fine & stands alone)

Posters’ Top Scoring 2021 Dramas
Courtesy of Hello’s kdrama spreadsheet, updated by thread regulars. Marks out of 10.

1. The Red Sleeve - 10 (2 votes, more pending)
  2. Happiness - 9 (6 votes)
  3. Devil Judge - 8.75 (3 votes)
  4. Squid Game - 8.63 (12 votes)
  5. Navillera - 8.57 (7 votes)

2020’s top scoring dramas
    1 - Mr Queen - 9.4 (5 votes)
    2 - Parasite - 9.05 (10 Votes)
    3 - It's Okay To Not Be Okay - 8.88 (9 Votes)
    4 - The Uncanny Counter - 8.50 (4 Votes)
    5 - Once Again - 8.42 (6 Votes)

2019’s top scoring dramas:
  6. Her Private Life - 9.40 (5 votes)
  7. Melo is My Nature - 9.00 (5 votes)
    3.= Crash Landing On You, The Crowned Clown, The Lies Within, and The Tale of Nokdu - 8.75 (4 votes)
  8. Hotel del Luna - 8.50 (4 votes)
    5.= Romance is a Bonus Book, and Search: WWW - 8.17 (6 votes)

We are generally fans of all things Korean, so equally happy to talk about Korean cookery, language, writers, film and music when the mood takes us. We have some ARMY (BTS fans) among our regulars. Some of us are learning Korean, Japanese and/or Mandarin (some more diligently than others, admittedly), so we swap tips and links to language resources. Basically, anything topical goes.

We sometimes resort to acronyms and/or abbreviations of show titles or favourite actors’ names. Don’t be afraid to ask for help/clues if we’re not making sense or have descended into acronym soup.

If you want to join us down the kdrama rabbit hole, welcome! Pull up a chair, say goodbye to early nights and get stuck in!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Andante57 · 02/04/2022 16:52

Thank you for the new thread Boaty.

Please
or

Prestel · 02/04/2022 20:57

I'm definitely looking forward to some Happiness on Netflix this April Boaty. Thanks for the new thread and hello all.

Please
or

Bea · 02/04/2022 23:56

@MusiqueAutomatique dh and his views on meteorology in FLAW??... Scathing and laughable!! He hasn't seen much of it! But he's seen enough to pass eye rolling judgement! 😂😂😂

Please
or

Bea · 02/04/2022 23:57

Thanks @boatyardblues for ANOTHER!!... thread! Wowser! Here we are again! 😖🎉🥰🥰

Please
or

Metheven · 03/04/2022 12:28

Thanks boatyardblues for the thread. Out of interest, how long have these threads been going?

Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 12:43

Good question Metheven. Bettys and I started a spin-off thread from a subtitled foreign language TV thread to discuss Korean drama specifically, then Bea joined us fairly soon after. Bea probably saved the endeavour to be honest (because of the WWWSK polarity). 🤣 It would have been around late spring/early summer 2018 because Mr Sunshine was my second kdrama and it was still airing when I started it. There were really only a handful of regulars for the first year, then gradually we started to pick up new regulars. I keep a really loose tally because I got excited when we started to get more regular posters. We’ve gone past the 50 poster mark overall, but some people delurk to say hello or add something once or twice then go quiet again. Other posters delurk & are now regulars. I like that we have more people now - we cover a lot more ground and have definitely had some real finds because of our diverse preferences within the k/c/jdrama canon. I reckon it also smooths out some of the wilder marking on the spreadsheet. 😄

OP's posts:
Please
or

Metheven · 03/04/2022 13:19

Blimey, boatyardblues that is a hell of a long time. I was so glad to find this thread, there are some great recommendations. Also, my family are pleased that I have other people to talk to about kdrama, cos quite frankly they have had enough!

I'm sure Netflix has added to the popularity of kdrama, Silent Sea definitely brought me to it. I watched it because Gong Yoo and it was quite heavily advertised on Netflix. After I watched that, it showed other series and films that it thought I might like and then I was hooked.

I used to have a life Grin

Please
or

JinBhoot · 03/04/2022 13:48

@Metheven

Thanks boatyardblues for the thread. Out of interest, how long have these threads been going?

I found the tribe end Of Dec 2020 just because I was so desperate to talk about the best show EVER Hospital Playlist
My first drama was CLOY (it was on the insta stories of a food blogger I was following) it was lockdown & I was bored so decided to check out kdramas to see what is this buzz about. Rest is history
I liked CLOY but appreciated it more in 2nd watch. First time around I struggled with subtitles & watching at the same time. Didn’t get the references (I still don’t know who made cameo as delivery guy in SK when guys went over).

HP was love at first sight.

Randomly I searched Hospital Playlist on mumsnet AND FOUND THE THREAD (no 19)
Best thing EVERRRRRR.
In my mind we all are besties, my chingus 🤗

My family is totally unaware of my love & involvement with MsLatté’s Daebak Cybercafé. I am too shy to bring it up. They do know how much K-J-C dramas I watch.
Hopefully some day I will meet you guys in real.
Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 13:51

I used to have a life.

Ha. Yeah, the gradual return to post-pandemic normality is really starting to get in the way of my kdrama viewing. 😉

OP's posts:
Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 13:57

Hopefully some day I will meet you guys in real.

I think meeting you all in RL would be fun. However, I am also torn about a RL meet-up because I like a separation between the online world and real life. There’s also that Wizard of Oz thing - maybe we aren’t as others expect in real life. (I am not a hairy-handed trucker from Preston called Dave, but I could be…)

OP's posts:
Please
or

Metheven · 03/04/2022 14:02

boatyardblues I wish I had been into kdrama at the beginning of the pandemic. My husband was working in the front room and my son in his bedroom. When I got home from work, I basically hibernated in my bedroom, think of the amount of series I could have watched.

Jinbhoot I haven't seen Hospital Playlist yet, but will definitely check it out one day. I understand what you mean about the references, some things go right over my head. I tried CLOY, but actually couldn't get into it. I think it is something that I will try again one day and hopefully enjoy.

Please
or

Rowdythree · 03/04/2022 14:31

@jinbhoot it was Kim Soo Hyun who made the cameo in CLOY

I first found the thread in autumn 20 I think, previous to that I had been watching K drama on my own for a couple of years. But I was basically watching my favourite series several times and not really exploring the K drama world properly. I'd never heard of Viki before this thread for example. Also at the time when I was watching it on my own, I kind of liked having something just for me (iykwim) , so even though I'd seen there was a K drama thread, I never joined in.

I'm so glad I did though, it's so nice to have people to chat to, feel outraged with and share recommendations and have a laugh with. Mr Binn definitely helped with that, so thanks @polkettle 👍🤗

Please
or

FedUpWithBriiiiick · 03/04/2022 15:43

I'm going in on 25/21 final eps.

See you on the other side!

Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 15:58

Our router has died. We are without internet, which means our AppleTV box is also dead in the water. 😭 We were supposed to be going out for a walk this afternoon. DH has gone on a mercy dash to Currys. I told him to spare no expense to get us all back online. I need working wifi to work from home, if nothing else! But really I need to watch the 25/21 finale tonight…

OP's posts:
Please
or

FedUpWithBriiiiick · 03/04/2022 16:16

@boatyardblues

Our router has died. We are without internet, which means our AppleTV box is also dead in the water. 😭 We were supposed to be going out for a walk this afternoon. DH has gone on a mercy dash to Currys. I told him to spare no expense to get us all back online. I need working wifi to work from home, if nothing else! But really I need to watch the 25/21 finale tonight…

Thoughts and prayers Boaty! Hopefully DH saves the day 👍
Please
or

Andante57 · 03/04/2022 16:20

It was CLOY and lockdown that got us into Kdrama .
We’d watch series for years - Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Wire and so on - and I was happy enough to have them on though if it hadn’t been for dh enjoying them I wouldn’t have gone on with them.
Then dh suggested CLOY which he’d read about. By the second episode I was completely hooked and we haven’t looked back.
So invested have I become that I have weekly Korean lessons and we are going there in May.
As pp have said, I adore this thread where we can discuss Kdrama as in rl few of my friends have taken up my recommendations.

Re Kim Soo Hyun’s cameo in CLOY: I thought it was so clever appearing as his character from Secretly Greatly. Have there been other dramas where a character has had a cameo from another series/drama?
As opposed to making a brief appearance or as themselves such as Choi Ji Woo?
I know a North Korean soldier appeared in Seo Ji Hye’s dreams in Dinner Mate, but as it wasn’t Hyun Bin it didn’t have so much impact.
I’ve always had a fantasy of a second series of CLOY with a cameo appearance of KSH and Jun Ji Hyun with all the children and dogs that she said she wanted in My Love from the Star.

Please
or

Andante57 · 03/04/2022 16:21

Good Luck Boaty! I’m sure dh will step up and save the day.

Please
or

Bea · 03/04/2022 16:58

Ahhh! @boatyardblues! The heady heady early days of kdrama when we truly truly would stay up till 3am binge watching WWWSK... Or any of those addictive dramas... It was all just sooo new and exciting! We HAD to stay up! Plenty of 🍑👢 in those days! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 17:31

Thoughts and prayers Boaty! Hopefully DH saves the day

He’s working on it now. 🤞🙏🤞

OP's posts:
Please
or

bettys · 03/04/2022 17:48

Aaaah the early threads ....such fun....just as much fun now if not more with all the added chingus!😎💜

Please
or

Prestel · 03/04/2022 17:58

Fingers crossed Boaty. Reminds me of a desperate Xmas Eve dash to pick up a new TV.
Meanwhile as others appear to be looking forward to the 25/21 finale (which I've only just started) I'm stuck with FLAW. I'm half way through the final episode and I can't quite believe that cheating ex-fiance is the only one who is happy at juncture. Only 40 mins left to fix this. I think I need a cup of tea to get me through to the end of it.

Please
or

polkettle · 03/04/2022 18:35

I have finished 25/21. Hmmm I don't think I can type ANYTHING about it without spoilers. Going to pour a gin before finishing FLAW.

Please
or

Bea · 03/04/2022 18:46

@polkettle

I have finished 25/21. Hmmm I don't think I can type ANYTHING about it without spoilers. Going to pour a gin before finishing FLAW.

Oh! My! God! If 25 21 is not, 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝 friendly ending I'm going to have a hissy pissy fit!! 😡😱😡😱😡😱😡
Please
or

boatyardblues · 03/04/2022 18:58

Argh. We have internet but I’ve only been able to watch the first 55 mins (up to Baek Ye-Jin’s parents moving to the new apartment) and I have to go out for a few hours. I won’t check back in until I’ve seen the end in case anyone let’s anything slip. My comment above is the most tangential event I could mention in the most indirect way, not a spoiler. 🙂

OP's posts:
Please
or

FedUpWithBriiiiick · 03/04/2022 19:12

@polkettle

Same. Need a lie down.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.