Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Style & Beauty

Les Parisiennes des Mamansnet: JesusFlo Superstar in a Back Lit Kaftan (Toyboy Not Included)

799 replies

botemp · 21/02/2023 16:16

Lovers of Parisian style and fashion with a conscious mindset and lots of chatter in between.

----
Favoured Parisian addresses:

Second Hand Shops

Outlets

Favoured London addresses:

Charity Shops, Dress Agencies, and Outlets

Favoured NYC addresses:

Consignment shops, Vintage, and Restaurants

----

Previous threads:

Un

Deux

Trois

Quatre

Cinq

Six

Sept

Huit

Neuf

Dix

Onze

Douze

Treize

Quatorze

Quinze

Seize

Dix-sept

OP posts:

Redandblue11 · 23/02/2023 19:16

I feel like a complete numpty, sorry I read as if she did that now… I understand now.

MmePoppySeedDefage · 23/02/2023 20:15

I did wonder about the point of footless tights. Now I understand.

Bo what sort of denier are you thinking of?

I've just checked on the Boots website as their fine denier tights are actually rather good, although almost 1970s M& American Tan in colour (almost), but wouldn't you know it, they only have them in M upwards. Now I remember why I had wrinkly tights - I bought M as they had no S, & clearly that position hasn't changed.

Blooming Private Equity purchases.

botemp · 23/02/2023 20:42

For the c2c Wolford ones I'll get the 70 denier ones, the only other denier they do in that range atm is 15 which possibly requires me to remember to shave before putting them on so they're out Blush

The weird thing was, Oprah wore those footless tights under her trousers. I think trousers were more fitted then and less forgiving fabrics so I guess they were more like shapewear for her. Teen me with no need for formal clothing was completely confused she wore tights under trousers and then proceeded to cut off the useful bit (in my eyes, barefoot in shoes was a very exotic idea in winter but I suppose if you get driven everywhere it's manageable).

Footless tights were always a bit of a mystery to me too until I accidentally bought some thinking they were normal tights. They're just much easier to put on, off is a different matter...

OP posts:

ToEllewithIt · 24/02/2023 09:27

I’m always suspicious of tights that claim that the same size fits someone who’s 6ft size 8 and 5ft size 16. I accept that they stretch, but surely there’s vertical and lateral stretch given the way they’re woven. Certainly with M&S I always found that the suggested size left me with a hovering gusset, whereas Wolford didn’t have that issue. I like the Sheer 15 ones from Wolford, but they are in no way durable. I agree that suspenders can be good, but steer clear of sexy lingerie type ones with only 4 clips. You need a proper sturdy old-school affair with at least 6 clips.
Although I’m trying to be a bit low buy I’m having my head turned left, right and centre by clothes at the moment.

EffortlessDesmond · 24/02/2023 09:57

Hovering gusset... brilliant, Elle! So do tell, what's taken your eye? Then we can admire your resolve and self-control.

Redandblue11 · 24/02/2023 10:17

I might be doing a visit to Amsterdam early May, I wonder if there is a Dutch connoisseur in this thread 😉
I will only be very briefly and is a big group of us, so I will suggest some stuff but as I am not the main person I will be probably told where to go. But if there are suggestions for nice bars or anything interesting send it my way.
when this was booked the tulip festival and Keukenhof was not on the cards, but I cannot be there at that time of the year and not go to see it. I see that the last entry tickets are 6.30 pm… so was wondering if it can be appreciated at night …

botemp · 24/02/2023 10:30

In May the sun sets much later (maybe 20:30ish, I'm sure you can look it up) so you'll see plenty and I suspect there's a lot of lights, but I would say it's not the easiest to get to the Keukenhof directly with public transport so booking with a coach like Keukenhof Express.

Early May is when we have a lot of national holidays, the 4th and 5th are remembrance and independence day, on the 5th it'll be one big party. On the evening of the 5th there's a classical music concert on the canal, the Royal family always attends. It's probably worth the experience but you'll need to get there early to get a spot (or have a boat).

It's also school holidays so expect it to be busy everywhere.

OP posts:

MmePoppySeedDefage · 24/02/2023 13:32

I'll be there in early May too - off to the Vermeer exhibition and spending a little time in Amsterdam.

botemp · 24/02/2023 13:59

Lucky you Poppy, I snoozed and all tickets to Vermeer sold out within the first day or so. They might release some extra ones but I'm not hopeful, Girl with the Pearl Earring is only there until early march (I think) but you could easily go to the Mauritshuis in The Hague for that (although, secretly, The Goldfinch is my favourite painting there)

OP posts:

quirkychick · 24/02/2023 16:01

Popping in to say great thread title! Am now going to try to catch up properly.

MmePoppySeedDefage · 24/02/2023 17:40

Are you in Amsterdam bo? I've got a personal bet that one of the party won't make it, despite her saying now that she will, as she's rather flaky. There's a strong chance I'll have a spare ticket.

I must have been lucky that when I was booking, by chance, it was right after the tickets had been released.

botemp · 24/02/2023 18:35

That's very kind of you Poppy but highly likely I will be out of the country. Commiserations on trying to plan with a flaky friend they're the worst.

Hiya quirky 👋

I'm also intrigued about what's turning Elle's head. I think Vinted has ruined me, I'm losing all interest in online browsing. I'm still scrolling through Vinted daily for any rare gem but it's mostly crap and then I don't bother browsing elsewhere.

I did peer into the Swedish Stockings newsletter (free shipping this weekend) and they have some indestructible new technology one to appease Flo but it's 40 denier so I'm not that impressed and it's €80 Shock, half convinced they're just transparent leggings with feet. They also have a ladder proof 20 denier one but the one and only time I bought tights with that same promise they laddered before I could get them on...

OP posts:

Niftythrifter · 25/02/2023 02:04

Can I join this thread as an admirer or Parisian style and as someone who would like to try and take inspiration from it?

Redandblue11 · 25/02/2023 09:24

Welcome @Niftythrifter ! We like new faces and promise we don’t bite 😀
Do you have any recent purchase? Discovery or are kinda window shopping in this thread?

Bo, interesting I also seem to have been ruined by Vinted … it is weirdly addictive… not so much the buying but scrolling and trying to find gems, large majority is not worth it.

quirkychick · 25/02/2023 13:02

Hello @Niftythrifter and welcome.

I agree that Vinted can be a bit dangerous!

I have just caught up and coincidentally am wearing an old anthropologie top I dyed pastel blue. I agree with bo that pastels suit me but don't feel like me. I do sometimes wear a pale green too, but need to pair it with stronger or dark colours. Today I have an old Uniqlo U dark green jumper on top of the pale blue and dark, grey Diesel jeans courtesy of Vinted.

Floisme · 25/02/2023 13:03

Welcome Niftythrifter! I think you buy a lot of second hand don't you?

You lucky things Red and MmePoppy. It must be 10 years since I was in Amsterdam and I've long forgotten any names but I do remember at least one picturesque canalside neighbourhood that was good for independent shops, including vintage. The shops weren't particularly close together but it was lovely just walking around. And another neighbourhood, further out but still on the canal rings, that had more of a hipster feel and a reputation for up and coming designers, plus a market, bars and restaurants. As well as Keukenhof, I'm sure you'd love the flower market Red. And on top of the 'big hitter' museums there was a preserved / restored merchant's house, on the canal again, that I enjoyed. The Anne Frank House will give you the chills.

Thanks for all the tights intel! And yes Elle, what's turning your head? We need to know.

EffortlessDesmond · 25/02/2023 13:49

Hello NiftyThrifter, and pull up a seat!

I can see how addictive Vinted could be, and I am still thrilled with my single purchase, but in general it's a bit overwhelming.

Voltefarce · 25/02/2023 14:30

Vinted has become a real addiction. I have sold some bits and pieces and have built up a balance for spending on “new” items. I pledged at the beginning of the year to not purchase any new clothes in 2023.

ToEllewithIt · 25/02/2023 17:56

Oooh enjoy Amsterdam, how lovely. I think the last time I was there was on a university tennis tour. I was surprised that frat houses were a thing in the Netherlands. Are they still? It was very social. The only way to buy drink was to buy a tray of 12 small beers so of course you got to talk to people as you doled them out.

That’s the funny thing about it. I can’t even say that my head is being turned by anything particularly new or interesting. I think it’s maybe just that finishing up maternity leave has opened up the possibility of wearing clothes that aren’t stretchy and machine washable.

Yesterday I was internally oohing and ahhing over some fairly frothy McQueen. There’s an iteration of this top every year so I’m not really sure why I find it so compelling. Similarly this trouser suit.

This Anine Bing dress also caught my eye and while I love the colour and shape the last silk I saw from that designer was a bit thin so I suspect this would be completely unforgiving.

Les Parisiennes des Mamansnet: JesusFlo Superstar in a Back Lit Kaftan (Toyboy Not Included)

ToEllewithIt · 25/02/2023 17:57

I also wanted every look in the Prada show. I just loved the understated luxury of it. Again it all seems a bit familiar and with the exception of the white skirts I think I have enough in my wardrobe to have a go at evoking the spirit of the looks. Those white skirts though drools.

botemp · 25/02/2023 18:48

Thanks for the pictures Elle. Yes, it's funny that Prada show is more of a styling presentation than fashion but the colour palette made it feel new. Funnily enough I remember doing a camel with grey and an accent of white in an advent calendar post on here to make camel a bit less staid (and that cognac camel has always been my preferred shade of camel). Prada has gone very expensive as of late (that stupid white vest/tank top) for not very great quality. I am torn.

I am not torn on the McQueen suit, love it😻 but what are they doing to the models over there that they stand so exactly straight with the legs looking so uniform and pelvis-less. I have a thigh gap but it's not that expansive to create this visual illusion. I'm a bit meh on the ruffle shirt, I think you've gotten too used to having a burping muslin on you at all times Wink

That Anine Bing dress is very you, which means you probably already own it in a different incarnation. <Wags fingers>

Flo, the area with the vintage shops was probably 'de negen straatjes' (the nine little streets). It's gone through some major gentrification (the hipster fake LGBTQ kind where everything loos independent but isn't), I only really go there for a few specific independent shops that still somehow have managed to hold on (also the high rents mean shops don't stick around for long so there's often a pop up shop of interest) but it's always a headache. Impossible to bike there as it's pretty much tourist central, no cars are allowed in a lot of it but people then aren't expecting bikes so it's always accidents waiting to happen. The vintage shops couldn't afford the quickly inflating rents, as elsewhere, I suppose. I will never understand the love of the flower market, but don't let me ruin your experience with my grumbles. You probably visited the Huis Willet Holthuys as the merchants house museum.

Yes, frat houses are a thing here 'het corps' they're called and they're fairly awful, although there are less awful ones that aren't so 'greek' in their origin and organisation. I don't expect they'll be around long anymore, too many incidents, hazings gone wrong but also awful ingrained misogyny incidents (there's always a female and male house counterparts, the female houses used to just think it was funny and were the epitome of pick mes, but thankfully the newer generations aren't having it) that have grabbed too much national media attention. They get government funding through the university so people have strong opinions about them since it's their tax money. Many promises about changes have been made but the same things are happening over and over again, they used to be guaranteed good job entries within certain industries (the traditional ones, law, business, government, etc.) but that isn't as true anymore and all the scandals are accelerating that further.

Wrt Vinted addiction, when I say it's ruined me, it's not so much a positive it's ruined me for all other things, it's that I don't like the hold it has on me. I do think there's an addictive element to the app, but I can't pinpoint what it is, I've had the Vestiaire app on my phone for years and it doesn't have the same hold.

I've touched on it here before about a lot of secondhand shopping feeling very similar to the fast fashion mentality (just with added moral grandstanding) and it's really palpable in the Vinted app. I have all the email notifications switched off but I think I'll switch off the app notifications (they're not sound notification but I still go ooh let's have a look whenever that V is visible). I'm also really getting tired of all the fakes, I dutifully report them but as of late they're being slow or not removing them at all even when something explicitly says it's a replica. All that reporting eats up more time on there, and really, they should have it better covered by now (it was okay for a bit when they removed PayPal but it seems to have gone back again). So I'm not going to bother with the reporting anymore either (I probably won't last long with that, they so annoy me).

I had interesting articles to share but this has gone on too long already, I'll share them later as I fear going back and forth to copy paste links will mean I lose my already overly long post.

OP posts:

Redandblue11 · 26/02/2023 09:20

That McQueen suits hits all the right notes. I love the look with the white ruffle too too.
Nice to read you again Elle, finishing maternity leave is an excellent moment to think again about different clothes.

Yesterday I went into a uniqlo to get some basic undies. But I stopped to see the trench with hood, mainly to show Flo. This is an S and I thought it was big on me, I know some do the oversized look but the sizes are extremely generous. The hood is great, but to the point it is maybe too big bothering me to really see where I am going. I love the feel and lightnesses of the fabric but on the other hand I am not sure how much it will keep you dry … how water resistant it really is, I am not sure… I wasn’t bothered about reading the technical descriptions of it.

prettybird · 26/02/2023 09:58

You lot are a bad influence: I blame you for having got me into Vinted and I've now bought 3 cashmeres. Not as adventurous as you lot (2 x bright coloured V-necks) but one was a light grey zip up hoodie from Joseph which is a departure for me that I like.

I'm shortly going to try selling on it: have some "brand new with tags" Boden dresses never got round to returning them years ago Blush and a couple of Artigiano things that were my mum's that I should really declutter.

botemp · 26/02/2023 11:22

Links, this is paywall bypass of a FT article (don't click accept cookies as it'll just take you to the homepage with another window about cookies) about fashion and the metaverse, I didn't anticipate finding it as interesting as I did, mostly because the whole metaverse makes me do a WTF face but I thought it was interesting as it to a point seems to be eating into fast fashion consumption and entry point luxury.

The other piece annoyed me a bit JCM at the Guardian interviewing Maria Grazia Chiuri and was happy to see JCM attempt to needle her a bit, unfortunately didn't get very far.

It's not a bad rendition of a sort of trench coat red and you wear it well but I do feel I've seen this type of coat too much now. None of those had a hood though, so there's that, but an unusable hood is no good either.

Elle, do they have Otrium in Ireland? They carry all of McQueen's last seasons stock and it's ridiculously marked down (further 25% off this weekend).

It can't have been me pretty, whenever I praised Vinted on here none of you knew what it was as it wasn't in the UK yet, for once I'm not the bad influence Halo

OP posts:

EffortlessDesmond · 26/02/2023 18:02

Saint *bo