Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Blouses that are not t-shirt

Enko · 08/09/2022 08:26

I'm really struggling to find pretty but not floral over the top frilly or high necked blouses.

T-shirt or t-shirt material jersey and woolen/knit stuff is not what I am looking for. I just want some blouses with long or short sleeves (not 3/4 I hate the sensation) that are suitable for a office environment where the average age is 79. (Not kidding i work in retirement) but doesn't make me feel 79 😄

I've had limited success in Jigsaw and Oliver bonas. Mint velvet is no good and to.my surprise the white house hasn't got much in this style this year.

If like something that's classic in cut but not 100-150 a top i simply can't keep that up

OP's posts:
Please
or

KangarooKenny · 08/09/2022 08:27

A friend of mine got some nice ones from Mango.

Please
or

savvy7 · 08/09/2022 08:41

I've had success with John Lewis own brand but not much available at the moment. You could also have a look at Me&Em sale.

Please
or

carefullycourageous · 08/09/2022 08:43

I just shop secondhand for this sort of thing as you often find quite classic things - I like simple shapes in smarter fabrics.

Please
or

dudsville · 08/09/2022 08:47

I have a few cotton button down blouses and one very 80s looking polyester just because i loved the style so much. Only two are floral, but one is olives and olive leaves and the other is palm leaves. Maybe have a google?

Please
or

Enko · 08/09/2022 08:55

Ive not had much luck second-hand I have looked.

Found a few I like with live unlimited (fast becoming one of my favourite shops having only discovered it this year) but Id really like some very classic simple coloured/ patterned shirts, I so wish pure collection still at shops as I find their stuff hard to gauge from their website.

Will look at Mango and Em and Me (got dresses from Em and me not sure why i didn't think of theirs for blouses) not been keen on anything in John Lewis this year.

My problem is 100% my taste is way more expensive than my budget 😶

OP's posts:
Please
or

LadyEloise1 · 08/09/2022 08:57

What about LILYSILK ?
Their blouses look lovely but I have never ordered from them.
Massimo Dutti ?

Please
or

TollgateDebs · 08/09/2022 09:09

Definitely Mango, Uniqlo perhaps

Please
or

Enko · 08/09/2022 09:18

Ohh I dislike. Uniqlu with a passion. I do not get the mn love for it as a shop. Sorry

I have found a pretty green one with Mango I've ordered so tnx for that.

I don't know much about lilysilk is it good quality?

OP's posts:
Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 08/09/2022 10:55

Sympathise with tastes running ahead of budget! Though I can always find shirts / blouses. (What’s the problem with your colleagues?)

Anyway - three from & Other Stories:

Please
or

jay55 · 08/09/2022 11:05

Joanie have blouses in non floral patterns, not sure about fabrics though.

Please
or

MuddlerInLaw · 08/09/2022 11:18

Just for the fun of it here’s a link to the shirts at Old Town. Admittedly well above your ideal budget but they’re so wonderfully old school you might prefer to buy fewer things at a non-High St price.

(I like the women’s departments of trad men’s outfitters for Really Good Shirts. They are very expensive though.)

Please
or

Wbeezer · 08/09/2022 11:24

İ like non clingy natural fabrics and non froo froo but not as boxy as Cos or Toast.
I've actually had to resort to getting my sewing machine out and making some tops, one cotton lawn and one broderie anglaise. Quite pleased with the results although, as with clothes, the patterns I like are £££.

Please
or

Wbeezer · 08/09/2022 11:29

İ bet if you find some patterns you like on somewhere like Clothkits (they have a good but not overwhelming selection)and fabric somewhere like Miner a, you could get a local seamstress to make them for you at less than the expensive brands. Hassle initially but if you find one you really like you can get it made as many times as you like.

Please
or

Wbeezer · 08/09/2022 11:30

That should be Minerva .

Please
or

alongtimeagoandfaraway · 08/09/2022 13:36

I lived in shirts from Hawes and Curtis. www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/womenswear when I needed office wear.

They are way cheaper than blouses from shops like Hobbs - current offer on 2 for £60.
They have all sorts of patterns in fitted and loose fit styles, but I loved the fitted shirts in wild floral patterns. Easy to wear, smart and I got loads of compliments on them

Please
or

LeeMiller · 09/09/2022 11:15

Sezane and & Other Stories. Good for silk shirts in nice prints or colours, also tops that are simple and flattering but not boring. I buy in the sales or preloved.

Please
or

Enko · 10/09/2022 00:33

MuddlerInLaw · 08/09/2022 10:55

Sympathise with tastes running ahead of budget! Though I can always find shirts / blouses. (What’s the problem with your colleagues?)

Anyway - three from & Other Stories:

Unsure what you mean about problem with my colleagues?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Enko · 10/09/2022 00:33

alongtimeagoandfaraway · 08/09/2022 13:36

I lived in shirts from Hawes and Curtis. www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/womenswear when I needed office wear.

They are way cheaper than blouses from shops like Hobbs - current offer on 2 for £60.
They have all sorts of patterns in fitted and loose fit styles, but I loved the fitted shirts in wild floral patterns. Easy to wear, smart and I got loads of compliments on them

This looks really interesting thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

NoMoreAgeJokes · 10/09/2022 07:45

Please
or

lady725516 · 10/09/2022 13:06

M&S do some nice shirts

Please
or

uncomfortablydumb53 · 10/09/2022 14:31

Brakeburn have lovely 'crisp cotton"as opposed to Jersey
They have sale items left at the moment

Please
or

Vinylloving · 10/09/2022 14:38

My favourite work shirt, 4 years old and going strong is from here
vildnis.co.uk/collections/tops/products/saguaro-shirt not this one but same material. It hangs well and is flattering

Please
or

LobeliaBaggins · 10/09/2022 14:48

Esprit has great blouses, though I don't think it's a brand that is top of mind. Many geometric or plain.www.esprit.co.uk/womenswear/clothes/blouses-tunics

Please
or

LadyEloise1 · 11/09/2022 08:12

Pure Collection do lovely blouses.
I haven't bought from them for some time but when I did the quality was very good.

Please
or

Xiaoxiong · 11/09/2022 08:17

Seasalt Larissa shirt?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?