My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style and beauty

Dresses to get married in

39 replies

Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:35

Hmm, Ok, look I feel a bit weird posting this but I've been looking around online for a while and can't seem to come up with anything.

I need to find a wedding frock. I want it to be creamy or possibly white, but really, who am I kidding Grin so cream probably. Or even really pretty and light beige or pinkish or whatever - not fussed.

The thing it's got to have is sleeves. There are loads with just straps or no straps etc but I need a short sleeve because I have a vairy old tattoo on my shoulder/upper arm which I really am not fond of. So sleeves are important - NO one sees the tattoo even in high summer! I wear a cardi. But I don't want to have to wear a cardi for a wedding.

Also the budget is basically zero so anything approaching that is great - well say up to a hundred, I suppose. I hate the usual wedding dress fuss, you know, those sites that are all glammed up and dramatic lighting and frilly stuff. Hate hate hate it all. I have no wish to resemble a Disney princess.

So it can be from a normal shop iyswim. I just don't know where to start!

Thankyou, if you have got any ideas/seen anything nice that you are willing to share a link to Smile

OP posts:
Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:37

Oh and I ought just to say, anything Victorian style/really lacy/flouncy is out, before anyone links to anything like that. No offence but I am a jeans kind of gal iykwim! Thankyou x

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:37

Topshop is lauching a range, but I don't think it is until June.

Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:38

Really? Yes!!! Smile I already looked in Topshop and couldn't find owt...wonder if I am a bit old though at 38 Grin

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:39
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:39

Those might be a bit, um, poufy. Grin

PineCones · 22/04/2012 12:44

Are you only looking at full length or would you consider knee length?

cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:45
Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:45

Cheers Coco that's brill - some of those are excellent. And so cheap!

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:45

Could you not cover the tatt with special concealer?

Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:48

Pinecones, yes shorter is fine. DP would prefer as short as possible I'm sure Grin

I really like that one with the long sleeves in your link Coco. I never realised you could get a dress so cheaply, you know, unusual ones.

Thankyou very much. I like the more 1940s look I think, out of all of them.

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:50

Sleeves.All.All.All.All.All.All more DD2 has just asked was I getting married and did Daddy know? Grin

Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:50

Coco, I dunno, it's quite sort of big - it' not hideous, and much faded anyway - I got it partially removed many years ago but it's still faintly there.

Just would feel safer if it were covered up iyswim.

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:51

ooooops! don't know what happened there Shock

cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:52
Flightty · 22/04/2012 12:53

Lol Grin

Sorry, for slow replies - computer is taking ages to open links and keeps freezing

you've been mOST helpful

OP posts:
cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:53

oh oh what about getting one made?

TalHotBlond · 22/04/2012 12:56

Anoushka G have some nice, plain wedding-y dresses, I think they might be a little more expensive than you are looking for (about £200ish) but there are bound to be some sales online.

Or Coast are usually pretty good for weddings although there is an inherent danger someone might turn up in the same dress as you...

cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:58

I'm going mad here I know you said no cardi but Monsoon has nice cover ups on there webpage.

cocolepew · 22/04/2012 12:58

Shock their

cocolepew · 22/04/2012 13:00
supernannyisace · 22/04/2012 13:00

Monsoon ?

monsoon

supernannyisace · 22/04/2012 13:01

If i were to get married again I would choose this one

lovely

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

Littlemissimpatient · 22/04/2012 13:03

Does it have to have sleeves? Personally I'd prefer a nice shrug or cape kind of thing. I know monsoon have some pretty ones or maybe you could look in a little vintage shop?
Just an idea and congratulations!

Flightty · 22/04/2012 13:04

Oh crikey I nneeeeeed to look at some of these but can't make the pC hurry up....will try in a bit ...Coco - wouldn't it cost an absolute bomb to get one made?

I'm hoping to find something that's a one off really - a bargain of some sort, as usual bit of a cheapskate so TKMaxx might be perfect Smile

Will also try Coast and AnoushkaG

Thanks everyone, this is seeming a bit more doable.

OP posts:
BeckyBrandonNeeBloomwood · 22/04/2012 13:05

THIS?
I wore this same dress in navy for my brothers wedding. It is so lovely in Ivory - (I secretly would have preferred it in ivory but I think that would have been a bit of a no-no at someone else's wedding!)
Very flattering and a nice fit.
Depends how high up the tattoo is though as the sleeves are quite short.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.