My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're into football, athletics, tennis, golf or cricket, join the dicsussion on our Sport forum.

Sports

Can we have a thread celebrating amazing performances by women in these Games?

36 replies

GrouchyKiwi · 03/08/2021 19:12

A few off the top of my head:

• Keely Hodgkinson breaking the British record and winning a Silver medal in the 800 metres today.

• Emily Campbell winning Silver in the women's 87+kg weightlifting, as well as the Gold medal winner Li Wenwen, who was so tenacious in chasing her dream.

• Hidilyn Diaz winning the Philippines' first ever medal at the Olympics, and making it a Gold in the weightlifting.

• Lisa Carrington winning Gold in the K-1 200m for the third Olympics in a row, then winning another Gold in the doubles 500m a few hours later with Caitlin Regal.

• Helen Glover and Polly Swann coming 4th in the Women's Pairs final.

• Emma Twigg's amazing performance to take single sculls Gold.

• Yulimar Rojas setting a new world record in the Triple Jump.

• Charlotte Worthington and Bethany Shriever being absolutely brilliant in the BMX, winning Gold despite having no funding from British Cycling.

Please add more.
OP posts:
GrouchyKiwi · 03/08/2021 19:14

Also Valerie Adams getting Bronze in the Shot Put, 2 years after having her second child.

OP posts:
ChateauMargaux · 04/08/2021 12:08
Heiferr · 04/08/2021 13:08

Elaine Thompson-Herah for defending both her 100m and 200m titles

Meghan Tapper for being the first Jamaican woman to win a medal in the 100m hurdles

Simone Biles for securing her Bronze medal despite the significant challenges she faced

Alice Dearing for being the first Black British woman to represent Britain in and Olympic swimming event

Katerina Johnson Thompson for her determination to finish that race

Sydney McLaughlin for smashing her own world record in her 400m hurdles win

MrsAvocet · 04/08/2021 13:28

The whole women's hockey team but particularly Maddie Hinch in the quarter final. Just incredible. So cool under pressure as well as spectacularly talented physically. She is also a really lovely person who does great work with young hockey players and has transformed attitudes to goalkeeping within the sport in this country.
Shame about last night's semi final but fingers crossed for the bronze.

powershowerforanhour · 04/08/2021 16:20

Anna Kiesenhofer's solo charge in the cycling road race.

Spudlet · 04/08/2021 16:27

Julia Krajewski for being the first ever female individual gold medalist in the eventing.

Spudlet · 04/08/2021 16:28

And Laura Collet for being part of the GB eventing team who took the team gold, when in 2013 she had a fall that left her needing to be resuscitated five times and blind in one eye!

GrouchyKiwi · 05/08/2021 13:32

So many brilliant women.

I knew I had seen a thread on this before I made mine, but couldn't find it at the time.

Here it is

OP posts:
nancy75 · 05/08/2021 13:36

I’m putting in a word for the little girls in the skateboarding! 12 - 15 years old some of them, falling off, getting up, dusting themselves down & trying again. Real friendship & support for each other & just looking like they were having the time of their lives.

GrouchyKiwi · 05/08/2021 13:38

They seem to get on so well, nancy. It was lovely to see them cheering each other on.

OP posts:
igelkott2021 · 05/08/2021 15:00

Keely Hodgkinson for sure, along with Jemma Reekie and Alice Bell who both ran personal bests in the 800 final - you can't ask for more.

And now Holly Bradshaw.

The ladies in the swimming and triathlon mixed relay teams: Georgia, Jess Learmonth, Anna Hopkin, Freya Anderson and Kathleen Dawson.

Courtney Frierichs who won the silver in the steeplechase

Darryl Neita and Jodie Williams reaching the finals of the 200m and 400m

igelkott2021 · 05/08/2021 15:59

Forgot Bryony Page - trampolining.

NoEffingWaytoSurvive · 05/08/2021 22:40

Shauna Coxsey in Sport Climbing. 10th despite injuries and the only team gb climber this Olympics.

londonmummy1966 · 05/08/2021 22:54

Why has no one mentioned Charlotte Dujardin yet? Our most decorated female Olympian.....

igelkott2021 · 06/08/2021 13:58

Add Laura Muir!

MrsAvocet · 06/08/2021 14:36

The women's hockey bronze medal game was fabulous. Both teams absolutely wonderful - a credit yo their countries and to hockey. And this, in my opinion, is the best photograph of the Games, showing all that is great about the sport.

Can we have a thread celebrating amazing performances by women in these Games?
ChateauMargaux · 06/08/2021 15:20

This is a better article about the Indian team. .. www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-58071416

AndEmilyCampbellDancing · 06/08/2021 15:26

Laura Kenny, joint most decorated British women and first to have three golds at three games.

Heiferr · 06/08/2021 16:15

Shaunae Miller Uibo and Faith Kipyegon for successfully defending their titles

The Jamaican Women's 4x100 relay team for taking Gold

GB women's relay team for a superb performance and securing a Bronze medal

Spudlet · 06/08/2021 18:52

Kate French - gold in Modern Pentathlon!

Spudlet · 06/08/2021 18:54

Also, although she hasn’t competed yet, Jess Piasecki for overcoming some truly awful injuries to compete in the marathon. I listened to her on a podcast when I was running and I had to switch it off until I’d finished because I was wincing too much!

Supergirl1958 · 06/08/2021 19:10

And Laura Kenny and Katy Archibald!

Laura had a baby less than 4 years ago it can’t be easy to stay in that kind of shape!

Allyson Felix just became the most decorate female track and field athlete of all time (this despite having a really horrible labour with her child Michael Johnson said earlier!)

Lots of women who’ve had children participating at these games and sacrificing time with them! I had my baby 18 months ago and not a chance I could fly off to Tokyo and leave him! Poor Laura crying earlier, and he doesn’t even have his daddy there either 😭.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ChateauMargaux · 06/08/2021 20:29

GB sent more women this year then men!! Good for them. There are so many reasons to cheer these olympics for equality for women!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine · 06/08/2021 20:36

Georgia Taylor-Brown. Silver in women's triathlon after cycling the final lap on a flat tyre.

Summerhillsquare · 06/08/2021 20:58

I very much enjoyed Sarah Robles getting her massive weight over her head, then calmly looking into the camera and winking.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.