My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Parenting a preteen can be a minefield. Find support here.

Preteens

DD 11 with extremely greasy hair

32 replies

Nimo13 · 31/01/2015 07:32

My poor DD has developed really greasy hair and suffers from dandruff. I've managed to get the dandruff under control with a weekly clinical strength shampoo but bless her her hair is so greasy. Does anyone have any tips please

OP posts:
MomOfTwoGirls2 · 11/02/2015 14:17

DD1 (12) had problem with very flaky and itchy scalp a few weeks ago. She used Moo Goo shampoo (from most chemists) and it cleared up really well.
She also suffers with greasy roots. Moo Goo has somewhat improved this too.

My sister had problem with dry scalp after Chemo and the chemist recommended Moo Goo shampoo and conditioner to her (We just continued to use our normal conditioner). It worked really well on my sister, and that's how I knew about it...

Lastly, I had to explain to DD1 that she really needed to massage the shampoo into her scalp for it to work well. Not sure that she had the best hair washing habits prior to this.

MomOfTwoGirls2 · 11/02/2015 14:18

Forgot to add, it is all natural ingredients.

Flingingmelon · 11/02/2015 14:31

How has she been using the dry shampoo? I have this problem and I found that if I put it on just before bed, it looked much better in the morning. Using it just before I go out is a waste of time.

Nimo13 · 20/02/2015 11:37

Thanks guys. Been using t-gel and it is helping. Will try the others recommended and putting dry shampoo in at night.

OP posts:
Lunastarfish · 20/02/2015 11:46

I feel for your DD - I was that child. I still have very greasy hair and agree with others that every other day washing is the best.

Not to be rude, but does your DD actually wash her scalp and rinse properly? If i'm a bit slapdash with shampoo/rinsing my hair will still be greasy. I really need to scrub the shampoo into my scalp. My hairdresser said to sign 'happy birthday' to myself 3 times when scrubbing the shampoo in.

Hairdressers/dermatologists will tell me off for this but every 3 or so months I wash my hair with washing up liquid. It's always amazing afterwards ??

concretefeet · 20/02/2015 11:46

This l'oreal shampoo from the larger boots really works. This is a chaper alternative to kerastase shampoo for greasy, flaky scalp (search online) which also works.
It is a shock when their hair is so greasy, but these two defintely make my dd's hair look back to its pre-greasy time with daily washing.

WerewolfBarMitzvah · 20/02/2015 11:52

Oh this was me as a teenager. I feel for her. It's tough.
I wanted to wash every day - but found that talc or cornflour sprinkled into the roots at bedtime helped a bit. A good brush in the morning and it wasn't so greasy and a bit fuller. When I dyed my hair dark, I may have added cocoa powder to the cornflour to help ut blend. I'm sure I smelled delicious.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.