Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How can I tone up my ‘squidgy’ body when I hate exercise

JustlookingNotbuying · 19/07/2022 12:17

I’m 49, slim, a size 10 and weigh 9 stone.
I have always been slim and fairly toned but the last year or so my body has started to feel very ‘untoned’ and squishy to the touch. I am starting to get an out of shape look despite not being overweight.
I think it’s partly due to my age but mainly because I no longer walk miles like I used to.
My dog and I would walk often 3 times a day and I was also a dog walker, so would clock up miles over the week, that and walking on my treadmill and a little stretching routine every evening seemed to do the trick but I am no longer a dog walker and my dear old dog is very poorly and only shuffles down the road for 10 mins before wanting to go back home. All of this has resulted in me slipping off my exercise routine and now I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it.
I really want to tone up again but I hate, hate exercising and don’t like to walk alone without a dog (I’ve tried it and it wasn’t much fun).
The treadmill is sitting there gathering dust and I do need to get back into a routine with that once this heatwave is over.
Does anyone have any quick and simple routine ideas for gently toning back up?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Battista · 19/07/2022 12:28

I know you said you don't like walking without a dog, but you could perhaps try something like listening to a podcast while you walk?

If not would doing online pilates or yoga work for you?

Or something else I've done is get a Reebok step type of thing, and put it in front of the telly so I can distract myself watching something while I step up and down for half an hour. Bonus points if you add in some hand weights (or cans of soup) to tone your arms at the same time.

Please
or

Battista · 19/07/2022 12:36

At the moment I am also wondering about getting a weighted hula hoop, also with the intention of using it front of the TV in the evening. But I don't have one yet so can't tell you what it's like

Please
or

PeloAddict · 19/07/2022 12:58

My usual offer but I have a code for 60 days free peloton app (cancel before to not be charged)
It doesn't gain me anything but there is stretching, yoga, strength, outdoor walks with music, treadmill programmes etc on it if you wanted to try it

Please
or

Mizydoscape · 19/07/2022 13:07

Can you get like some kind of dog pram so you can still walk but the dog doesn't have to? If that worked for you before and you enjoyed it?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.