Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

E bike advice

Queenofthesilverdollar · 08/05/2021 18:30

Am very overweight and on a fitness campaign which is going well. I want to step it up a gear re exercise. I would like to cycle more but live in a very hilly area. I was thinking of getting a ebike that would give me a bit of help. Id be interested in others experience of them.

So far I'm look at a Ribble AL hybrid but would be interested in any recommendations and advice

OP's posts:
Please
or

Didicat · 08/05/2021 18:51

I love my Wispa, I only really use the electric to get up to speed and on hills and turning it off for cruising.

They are very heavy because of the battery.

Please
or

Sammysquiz · 08/05/2021 20:45

I’m teetering at the moment about getting one. I’m worried it’s a bit of a Catch 22 in that I won’t be able to get up hills because the bike’s heavy and therefore need the motor, whereas if I just had a normal one I wouldn’t have the excess weight. Do love the thought of wizzing up a hill though!!

For me the main temptation is having the confidence about going longer distances.

Please
or

Didicat · 08/05/2021 21:12

Being able to pull away nippy from traffic lights and junctions gives me more confidence to go out on my own. I am much braver riding my e bike than a normal bike. Plus happier to do longer distances with my partner.

Please
or

Ohdeariedear · 08/05/2021 21:20

Do it! I had an ebike for a while when I was recovering from an operation and it was an utter game changer. As @Didicat says, being able to pull away from lights and junctions faster was really helpful and made me more confident than I had been on my normal bike.

The things I think are important to consider are the weight of it and the range of the battery, is it removable for charging or do you have to plug in the whole bike. I had this Kalkhoff one which was good as it was a step through frame, so easier to get on and off.

Please
or

Queenofthesilverdollar · 09/05/2021 14:33

This is exactly what I’m thinking

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.