Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Best fitness smart watch.

SpideyMom · 03/07/2020 21:27

hiya

Just that. Looking for recommendations please? I would prefer a larger watch face but not huge. Ive had the band type before and dont really like them.
Ideally not looking to pay more than £250. It doesn't need to be all signing and dancing. Im not a fitness fanatic but would like to start adopting a healthier lifestyle and keep on track of things.

Any recommendations would be fab.

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

RooKangaroo · 03/07/2020 22:39

Following, if that's ok!

I'm also looking for one that can tell me my speed (while running).

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 03/07/2020 22:45

I have a Fitbit charge 4 and it’s great

Has a GPS tracker which tracks your route, calories burnt, times per km / mile, steps taken etc. You can also track up about 30 workouts such as cycling, weight lifting, swimming and some of them have great features - ie interval training and the watch vibrates to tell you it’s time to work or rest.

It also tracks your sleep too. You put your details in to start and it calculates your resting metabolic weight and could tell you what calorie deficit you need to lose weight. You also get points for certain things - fat burn / cardio “active minutes” and can set yourself goals. You could also take part in Fitbit challenges if you wanted and link in with other users.

From a basic level, you can use it as a steps counter but it does a lot more

Please
or

nbee84 · 03/07/2020 22:51

I've got to wait util my birthday in August, but having done a bit of research dh is getting me a garmin watch.

Please
or

SpideyMom · 03/07/2020 23:20

I've been looking at the Garmin Vivoactive 4. I was looking at a Fitbit or Samsung but ive read that Garmin are one of the best for this sort of thing. And the Vivoactives seems to be great all rounders. I liked the looked of the Venu but the only real difference apparently is the screen. And I didnt like that the screen switches off to black whereas the VA4 the face still is visible.

Only thing at the moment is im finding it hard to part with the money lol. I dont want to buy cheap. Ive done that before and the accuracy was rubbish. So parting with 239 I need to be sure

OP's posts:
Please
or

nbee84 · 03/07/2020 23:53

Have a look at the polar ignite too, that was the other one I was considering. I decided on the garmin as apparently the app has a lot more data and I do love to look up and compare stats 😆

Please
or

SpideyMom · 03/07/2020 23:57

Nbee84 which garmin are you going with?

OP's posts:
Please
or

nbee84 · 04/07/2020 00:02

The VA4s in white and rose gold.

Please
or

TheHighestSardine · 04/07/2020 00:27

If you use an iPhone the Apple Watch is a tremendous piece of kit, Series 3 is £200 new. If you don't, don't consider them :)

Please
or

MrsJamin · 04/07/2020 06:00

I love my garmin vivoactive 4s, it's really fully featured for so many activities. I've been following the 5k running plan in the last few months and it's incredible, assessing your heart rate and pace all the time and planning a training plan accordingly. It's super easy to follow and it gives you useful info along the way. I also like creating my own training workouts eg strength and then you can easily follow a plan of weights and sets. It's worth the money IMHO.

Please
or

SpideyMom · 04/07/2020 08:38

I am steering towards the VA4. I'm not an Apple user, never liked them. I find Samsung and Android alot better personally.
But the reviews on the VA4 are really good. Im not a fitness fanatic, (I used to be). And though I dont want to get back to being obsessed, fitness is something I do enjoy, so I want something to keep me accountable and aware and help keep me motivated, which is something I lack and have done since becoming Mom. I'm a good Mom but have dont very little for myself since having DS.

I could probably get away with a cheaper one however I'd rather get a good one that can do more than the bog standard to grow with me as my fitness develops again

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sammysquiz · 04/07/2020 15:20

I’m trying to make a similar decision on the same budget. I’ve pretty much ruled out Fitbit because the reviews are so bad. Hesitating over the Apple Series 3, but I think I’m going to go for one of the Garmin Vivoactive range.

Please
or

SpideyMom · 04/07/2020 19:44

I went for the Vivoactive 4, the larger one. More than likely going to be abit big on my small wrist but I like oversized and love the Shadow Grey colour. I get to collect it Monday hopefully. I should of had it delivered but I couldn't wait lol.

I think my mind was about 85% made up before posting this thread. I just wanted some encouragement and reassurance I was making a good choice as it is quite an expense. For me anyway, I never buy myself anything! But I'm super excited.

Fitness is something I have really missed. Before my DS it was a way of life, but since him and soon after becoming a lone parent (totally) i gave up on it as i just couldn't find the time. I rejoined a gym when he was 1 but the guilt soon started as I was sending him to nursery all day and then 4 nights a week to my parents whislt I trained, then taking him home fast asleep. Now his that bit older and more active I want to start doing more outdoorsy things which he can join in with. So im hoping this watch will keep me on track and accountable and get me back into something I really do enjoy doing

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sammysquiz · 04/07/2020 20:17

I’ve just bought exactly the same watch Grin

Also getting back into fitness after a bit of a break. I used to run miles and now find running 5km a bit of a struggle. I subscribe to online classes (it’s called Fiit, really recommend it) so try to do at least one a day - some of them are quite short so it’s doable.

Enjoy your watch!!

Please
or

MrsJamin · 04/07/2020 21:40

@Sammysquiz when you get the watch, set up a training plan for a 5k and it'll set up a great timetable of runs, you say how many times a week you can go and it plans it for you on your watch. I feel like I have to go and run when my watch says so! Of course you can reschedule a run if you really can't do it that day but it's a super helpful way of committing to a goal.

Please
or

SpideyMom · 04/07/2020 22:04

I will have to check out Fiit. I am seeing so many online things lately, plus I know someone who is amazing at training and goes live with 1 hour classes to his Instagram so ive started doing those. It actually makes me miss the gym despite it being years since I stepped foot in one.

Running is something i would like to take up and I'm really interested with the watch's tracking. Ive never been a good runner. My ankles literally hurt when I do lol, but running 5k and then more would be such an achievement for me.

Enjoy your watch too Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sammysquiz · 04/07/2020 22:28

Ooh thanks @MrsJamin, that’s a great tip! Can’t wait to get playing with all the features Grin

Please
or

Passmeabrew · 05/07/2020 08:13

I opened this up to recommend the vivoactive 3 or 4! Love mine! Enjoy! There's a group on Facebook called Garmin connect that's really helpful if you need any help with it, also very good for motivation! People join up with each other via the for challenges as well for an extra motivation boost. I've had a couple of Garmin's now and I've really found them brilliant for helping me get moving and see my progress as I've got more and more into my health and fitness

Please
or

SpideyMom · 05/07/2020 08:24

Brilliant thank you. Really glad I went with the 4. Fingers crossed I like it

OP's posts:
Please
or

temproasted · 05/07/2020 22:11

I'm interested to know how good the HR tracker is on these watches. I have had a few fitbits and most recently the Versa Lite and the HR function is not great. I can be doing a HIIT workout and totally out of breath and I'll check my HR and it'll be just coming into fat burning mode (ie 120bpm when I know it's really 150bpm)

Please
or

temproasted · 05/07/2020 22:12

I'm interested to know how good the HR tracker is on these watches. I have had a few fitbits and most recently the Versa Lite and the HR function is not great. I can be doing a HIIT workout and totally out of breath and I'll check my HR and it'll be just coming into fat burning mode (ie 120bpm when I know it's really 150bpm)

Please
or

RooKangaroo · 06/07/2020 08:55

This is really helpful. Hadn't properly considered Garmin before.

What does the VA4 have that the 3 doesn't?

Please
or

SpideyMom · 06/07/2020 09:54

Good point @RooKangaroo

I have to admit I just went with the newer model. The reviews I have seen suggest to get the updated model if you don't already have the 3, however mostly say its worth the upgrade too. However particulars of whats different or better I cant remember, sorry.

Something that has surprised me, though I am happy to admit I am very new to these things, the amount of people who say they own a few fitness watches? Is this really a thing? Presumably its due to upgrades etc but I hope this watch will last me a while

OP's posts:
Please
or

Passmeabrew · 06/07/2020 11:49

The 4 just has a few extra features like body battery, respiratory rate and things like that really. I only upgraded because I had the vivoactive 3 - not the VA3music and I wanted to be able to listen to music on it without my phone. When I upgraded to the VA3, the 4 was quite new and price difference was more and I couldn't get the VA3music in the colour I wanted. If you have the VA3music then it's probably not worth the extra money, but if you can get it at a good (I got mine using a Blue Light discount card ) then I would recommend going for the newer model. I'm also a bit of an addict and will probably have my eye on another one by the end of the year Blush

Please
or

Passmeabrew · 06/07/2020 11:52

Some people do seem to have few yes, I think they like a backup or different styles for different things, but the vivoactive is a good all rounder and you should be fine with it for a while. It records enough data for you to work with, even if you get quite into fitness and want to progress, has a wide range of sports on there, decent battery life, GPS independent of phone, waterproof of you want to swim......you should be good!

Please
or

SpideyMom · 06/07/2020 12:18

Thank you x

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.