Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

C25K completed - what next?!

ShoeJunkie · 28/05/2020 08:22

I took the opportunity during lockdown to start running. I completed my final run on the app on Monday and am wondering what is best to do next?
I quite fancy the idea of getting up to 10k - any thoughts on how best to do this?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwistyHair · 28/05/2020 08:25

I’ve got two more runs. I think I’m going to stick to half an hour runs and then maybe a bit longer to get fully up to 5k. Then I’m going to start the whole programme again but do it all running. So it’ll help me get my pace up. I’m very slow, just under 7minutes per km. So it won’t be 5k in 30 mins because obvs I need to get my pace up a bit

Please
or

TwistyHair · 28/05/2020 08:25

As in jog on walking bits and run a bit faster on running bits of C25k

Please
or

Glenthebattleostrich · 28/05/2020 08:28

My plan is to do couch to 10k over the summer.

I have a running buddy lined up from Monday!

Please
or

sleepwhenidie · 28/05/2020 08:29

Well done, me too! I’m getting a little over enthusiastic perhaps...my aim is to build to 10k with the general plan to regularly run 8k in around 45 mins. There are lots of plans for training to this, similar to c25k (though generally not as good, looking at reviews). But I think for the next month or two I’ll continue to do 5k and try and improve speed, maybe throw in an extra 3-5 minutes every couple of runs, get my body well used to it - I’ve been injured before and it’s no fun easing back in again!

Please
or

PostmistressMcColl · 28/05/2020 08:30

I started following this 5k to 10k plan during lockdown

www.vitalitylondon10000.co.uk/training/10-weeks-10k/

I'm a couple of weeks from the end and have found it really good (and I am a very slow and unenthusiastic runner!)

Please
or

sleepwhenidie · 28/05/2020 08:30

I did cheat a bit, did W8R2 yesterday but was so close at 28 minute mark that I kept going and did 5k in 30 mins Smile

Please
or

AriettyHomily · 28/05/2020 08:32

There is a 5-10k programme, I started it but have to admit I got bored.

Please
or

PostmistressMcColl · 28/05/2020 08:32

PS well done both on completing doing the c25k!

Please
or

sleepwhenidie · 28/05/2020 08:33

Postmistress would you start at w4 on that programme if you’ve completed c25k?

Please
or

PostmistressMcColl · 28/05/2020 08:34

That's brilliant sleepwhenidie - my 5k time is very rarely less than 35 min although I'm hoping that running longer distances will speed me up a bit!

Please
or

ConstantlyCooking · 28/05/2020 08:36

Sleepwhenidle that is really impressive!
I finished C25K on Monday as well and have decided that my aim is actually to run 5K. I ran for 34mins yesterday and covered 4.6k. I am using MapMyRun. I am hoping to start park runs when they resume.

Please
or

PostmistressMcColl · 28/05/2020 08:36

Yes I think I would, I was running well under 5k on the runs in weeks 1-3 (bear in mind I'm very slow though!!)

Please
or

PostmistressMcColl · 28/05/2020 08:38

Constantly Cooking, we run at a similar pace. I am really really missing Parkrun and I find i run a bit faster there than I do by myself, so you might find your time suddenly improves!

Please
or

CeibaTree · 28/05/2020 08:40

I finished couch to 5k a couple of weeks ago, and have just been going for 30 min runs every other day. I don't have any interest in building up to 10k though, 5k is a big enough achievement for me :) Good luck with your mission to get to 10k - that'd be really impressive!

Please
or

ShoeJunkie · 28/05/2020 10:24

I’m definitely covering 5k during my 30 minute run so that’s covered!
My friend and virtual running buddy is up for doing the 10k race for life locally in November so that gives me something to aim for.
Am also 🤞🏻 that park runs will start up again at some point soon.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 28/05/2020 10:30

You could also do some virtual races, and get your first bling

If you're interested, I'll link a couple of organisers (one which does only virtual events, one which does real life events but which has gone virtual for the duration)

Please
or

ShoeJunkie · 28/05/2020 10:42

@AuntieStella - yes please!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 28/05/2020 12:48

This company is almost entirely virtual races, and a proportion of each race fee goes to charity.

www.virtualrunneruk.com

This company organises a lot of events in a few English regions. All events are currently virtual, and will be until England Athletics lifts its ban on real events. They're very friendly and core staff are themselves all runners

www.runthrough.co.uk

Please
or

ConstantlyCooking · 28/05/2020 17:54

Thank you Auntiestella that will help with the motivation to keep going!

Please
or

ShoeJunkie · 28/05/2020 22:20

Brilliant - thank you @AuntieStella

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shannith · 28/05/2020 22:29

I just finished C25K too this week. I've been running 34 mins to get to 5k. Amazingly I've inspired a couple of friends to start. I set a very low bar and they are astonished I actually did it!

They are on week for so I plan to keep 3 30 min runs and like a PP start again, but from week 4 running at a faster pace to see what that does to my speed on my longer runs.

I've now got proper running kit, especially trainers so will see how it goes.

Of course I could just give up smoking... that's the next challenge.

Please
or

Jallebi · 28/05/2020 22:54

Well done for finishing!

When I finished C25K I was quite slow and could only manage a little less than 5K in 30 mins. For a few weeks I consolidated my running by continuing with w9 runs, and found the NHS C25K+ podcasts really useful.

But I couldn't get on with any of the 5to10K apps I tried. Does anyone have one that they would recommend?

Please
or

BookShop · 29/05/2020 13:24

I did it this morning! I used the Nike Run Club app and basically built my own running challenge. I started the C25K mid April and wanted to get to 10km after completing that quite quickly. I’m so proud of myself. Feeling a bit deflated about what’s next. On my phone it suggests the next milestone is 21k! I’m guessing that’s half marathon. Big step up!

C25K completed - what next?!
Please
or

ConstantlyCooking · 29/05/2020 15:43

Completed an actual 5k run for the first time today. It took 37 mins but I did it! The aim is now to get the time down.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.