Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Recommendations for a hand-bike or other machine for upper body cardio

walkingtheplank · 25/10/2019 19:45

I cannot exercise standing up/putting weight through my feet. Therefore I'm only swimming for exercise and as a result I've put on a lot of weight.
I do belong to a very expensive gym but they don't have anything I can use so I'm considering buying a hand-bike type of thing to use at home. However, I can't find one on line that doesn't have some reviewers saying the item is not fit for purpose.
So, does anyone have any recommendations for such an item or anything else I could use to exercise - without my feet.
I've attached a photo of the type of thing I'm talking about.

Recommendations for a hand-bike or other machine for upper body cardio
OP's posts:
Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 25/10/2019 20:20

The machine you are looking for is called arm ergometer and most top end gym will have the Technogym one www.technogym.com/au/top-excite-1000.html
Look up for cardio wheelchair and you will find many videos like this one

A good trainer would be able to set up a cardio program for you.

The swimming pool is the best place to perform your cardio IF you are training hard and not just doing laps. I mean a set of maximum intensity sprints, 50 mt freestyle and 30 sec recovery again sprint and so on.
Also acqua scult or any high intensity acquagym (not the senior one) in the deep end of the pool . I used to be an acquagym instructor and believe it is possible to sweat in the water.

You need to also address what you eat.
Please
or

walkingtheplank · 25/10/2019 22:06

Thanks for the reply.
My gym does have Techno Gym equipment but not the arm ergometer - I thought perhaps I just couldn't see it but they don't have one, having asked.

Swim-wise, I am just doing laps, 40 at a time, but not that fast. My gym used to do a Speedo Hydro class in which I do believe I sweated so I know what you're saying but I can't push myself to be quick on my own. There is a aqua-gym class (for older ladies) but that is in a shallow pool. I tried it once but I was still on my feet so no use.

So I think it I need something at home that I can use for cardio.

Thanks for the video.

And yes I know I need to look at what I'm eating - that would solve the problem! I'm bored rigid not being able to be mobile, I don't drink/smoke and food is there...

OP's posts:
Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 26/10/2019 07:01

Try to do these swimming workout www.yourswimlog.com/swimming-workouts-weight-loss/
You will need a pull buoy. Are you ok kicking holding a kickboard?

For the cardio, you need intensity and getting short of breath.
Do abs. If I do 1000 abs , I am cooked .
Does your gym have the reformer pilates classes? You can do a lot of exercises with legs on table top, on your knees or sitting on the box.

food is there.. don;t buy it. Seriously weightloss happens in the kitchen. If you are bored do a Mooc on Coursera, or EdX, OpenYale or any other.
Oblige your self to only eat while sitting at a table with plate and cutlery and never while watching a screen or reading a book. Food happens only a the table.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.