My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Bit of a gross problem but don't know whether to worry or not?

41 replies

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 20:35

Felt fine all day, nobody in the household with any type of stomach issues. Got back from a walk at about 4pm and felt absolutely desperate for the toilet to open bowels, felt like I couldn't hold it in which doesn't normally happen. It was very loose but that isn't particularly unusual. Since then I've been to the toilet twice and not passed anything apart from bloody mucus. I've had a pain in my stomach since then. I've also started to feel a bit nauseous. I'm really praying it's not a stomach bug as I'm terrified of sickness! But I've never had bloody mucus before when I've had a bug. Has anyone had this?

OP posts:
Sapphire387 · 12/02/2024 20:38

I haven't had that. Personally I would call 111.

starsinyourpies · 12/02/2024 20:40

This is what 111 is there for, talk them through it and they can recommend best course of action. Hope you feel better soon!

EineReiseDurchDieZeit · 12/02/2024 20:41

If you're passing blood you need to be seen, call 111 as said above

kaiadeluded · 12/02/2024 20:43

That doesn't sound right, it could be an ulcer bleeding, call 111 or definitely go to A&E.

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 20:50

I'm reluctant to call 111 because about 99% of the time I've rung them they've sent me or DC to hospital and then it's not always been necessary. Apart from the pain when I go to the toilet and feeling nauseous I don't feel too bad so I don't think it's an emergency for tonight. I just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same. If I've still got the symptoms tomorrow I will phone the Gp. Also just to clarify it's not bleeding constantly it's just when I try to go to the toilet.

OP posts:
Goodadvice1980 · 12/02/2024 20:55

Is the blood dark in colour or bright red?

BeardieWeirdie · 12/02/2024 20:55

That is not normal. Get yourself to hospital.

OneLollipop · 12/02/2024 20:57

It is NOT normal to pass blood when you go to the toilet. You need medical advice. Please ring 111.

Menapausemum1974 · 12/02/2024 20:57

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 20:50

I'm reluctant to call 111 because about 99% of the time I've rung them they've sent me or DC to hospital and then it's not always been necessary. Apart from the pain when I go to the toilet and feeling nauseous I don't feel too bad so I don't think it's an emergency for tonight. I just wondered if anybody else had experienced the same. If I've still got the symptoms tomorrow I will phone the Gp. Also just to clarify it's not bleeding constantly it's just when I try to go to the toilet.

@chickadeeda I’ve had this with stomach upset

Wictc · 12/02/2024 20:59

I would make an appointment with your gp. I had this before I found out I had colitis. I don’t think it’s an A&E trip, but it’s up to you.

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 21:01

@Goodadvice1980 it's red in colour but it's mixed in with mucus. It's like lots of small clots.

OP posts:
Jellycats4life · 12/02/2024 21:02

My advice is stay at home near your own bathroom. It could easily be a nasty bug or food poisoning causing this.

Then, when you’re recovered, straight to the GP for advice about the bleeding.

There’s no need to go running to A&E tonight where you’ll have to keep running back and forth to some grim hospital toilet. And wait 8 hours or more…

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 21:05

@Jellycats4life that's what I'm thinking. I actually have an ultrasound booked for tomorrow as about 3 months ago I had debilitating left sided stomach pain when going to the toilet (no blood). They did my bloods and they came back fine so although it lasted for about a month I put it down to some sort of bug but it's taken this long to get a scan so I'm glad I kept the appt even though the symptoms had disappeared. Obviously if I end up being sick I'll cancel it tomorrow but hopefully that won't happen

OP posts:
Talkwhilstyouwalk · 12/02/2024 21:07

Blood is possible when it's a stomach bug. I don't know about A&E but would def speak to a doctor.

EineReiseDurchDieZeit · 12/02/2024 21:09

Dont cancel your ultrasound! Clearly something is amiss.

chickadeeda · 12/02/2024 21:12

EineReiseDurchDieZeit · 12/02/2024 21:09

Dont cancel your ultrasound! Clearly something is amiss.

I was only thinking of cancelling because my symptoms had disappeared for a while so I didn't want to waste nhs time but I'm really glad I didn't now that some symptoms are back!

OP posts:
DrunkenElephant · 12/02/2024 21:14

Jesus Christ, stop listening to people on the internet with no medical qualifications and ring 111!

Blood in your stools should always be checked, which is why you’ll be told to go in and get checked.

Crooklodge · 12/02/2024 21:15

My husband has colitis and gets this fairy frequently. Absolutely no poo whatsoever in the toilet, just mucus and lots of clots.

RichinVitaminR · 12/02/2024 21:16

Call 111 as said above, OP. Blood mixed with mucus combined with the other mentioned symptoms doesn't sound normal at all.

RichinVitaminR · 12/02/2024 21:16

Jesus Christ, stop listening to people on the internet with no medical qualifications and ring 111!

Blood in your stools should always be checked, which is why you’ll be told to go in and get checked.

Yeah I second this (with the deepest of respect)

heybearx · 12/02/2024 21:18

I had this with infective colitis from food poisoning, i ended up in hospital. Ring 111 as per others to talk it through to ensure nothing is missed and defff go to the ultrasound. Wishing you recovery x

OppsUpsSide · 12/02/2024 21:19

Can be a symptom of an anal fissure but you do need to get checked by GP.

OnSecondThoughts · 12/02/2024 21:23

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but for the past 5 or 6 years now I get these random 'out of nowhere' episodes of D. and cramping, about once every 4-5 months or so. Feel absolutely fine, no build-up, so I'm sure its not a bug. Suddenly it's like my whole intestines declare "right, everything out! Now!" Starts with cramping, sometimes so painful I think I'll pass out, and I have to mop my forehead with a cold flannel and breathe in-out-in-out for 5 mins while the worst pain passes. After 2 or three motions, I'll hear a very particular squeaky wet gurgling noise on my left side, and then a final gush of watery d. will happen, with a strange (fruity/earthy/sweet) smell. Two or three times the d. has ended with bright red (bloody) mucousy liquid, and when this happens I get a lower tummy ache that comes in waves, for about 24 hours (I think it's the blood irritating the colon that causes the ache). I've recently had a private appointment with a gastroenterologist, as the above has been mixed with various other symptoms (very noisy lower tummy, often mucousy stools). Bloods have all come back fine, except the first FIT test was 'borderline' (7ug/g) and I had to take it again - second result was 'normal' (<4ug/g)...so the consultant thinks its probably a form of IBS, but there's a possibility it could be the start of diverticulosis/itis. That's where I'm currently at with it. Perhaps the above is of help, if any of it matches your symptoms, OP.

FabFebHalfTerm · 12/02/2024 21:25

@DrunkenElephant yeah, then she can speak to people with no medical qualifications 🙄🙄🙄

Yesbloid in stools does need to checked out, hence being advised to call her GP.

cant see it needs A&E tonight unless the pain gets worse.

i doubt sitting there overnight is going to help her any.

@chickadeeda

Do you have someone there with you?

if so try to relax & get some sleep!

Menapausemum1974 · 12/02/2024 21:31

OnSecondThoughts · 12/02/2024 21:23

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but for the past 5 or 6 years now I get these random 'out of nowhere' episodes of D. and cramping, about once every 4-5 months or so. Feel absolutely fine, no build-up, so I'm sure its not a bug. Suddenly it's like my whole intestines declare "right, everything out! Now!" Starts with cramping, sometimes so painful I think I'll pass out, and I have to mop my forehead with a cold flannel and breathe in-out-in-out for 5 mins while the worst pain passes. After 2 or three motions, I'll hear a very particular squeaky wet gurgling noise on my left side, and then a final gush of watery d. will happen, with a strange (fruity/earthy/sweet) smell. Two or three times the d. has ended with bright red (bloody) mucousy liquid, and when this happens I get a lower tummy ache that comes in waves, for about 24 hours (I think it's the blood irritating the colon that causes the ache). I've recently had a private appointment with a gastroenterologist, as the above has been mixed with various other symptoms (very noisy lower tummy, often mucousy stools). Bloods have all come back fine, except the first FIT test was 'borderline' (7ug/g) and I had to take it again - second result was 'normal' (<4ug/g)...so the consultant thinks its probably a form of IBS, but there's a possibility it could be the start of diverticulosis/itis. That's where I'm currently at with it. Perhaps the above is of help, if any of it matches your symptoms, OP.

@OnSecondThoughts you have just described exactly what was happening to me although far more regularly. The gurgling was on my left side too and the pain was so bad I was sometimes sick with it

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.