My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for your interior design loves and dreams?

43 replies

Theedgeoftheabyss · 12/02/2024 15:09

In contrast to the sneeriness of the other thread, I hereby declare this chat is open for all lovers of design. What do we like? I'll go first: personality, actual knick knacks and pictures, comfortable sofas swathed with blankets, a thick rug for my toes. And stained glass in the entry way.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

12 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
33%
You are NOT being unreasonable
67%
Tinkerbellflowers · 12/02/2024 15:12

Lots of books. A fireplace. Plants. Colour.

saveforthat · 12/02/2024 15:13

A fireplace with a real fire. Plants, candles. 100s of cookbooks in the kitchen.

chosenone · 12/02/2024 15:15

Calming colours that aren't cold, duck egg blues/sage green. Lots of lamps and candles. Textiles, blankets throws differ g sized cushions. I do like shutterblinds in some houses too.

Waitingfirthephone · 12/02/2024 15:15

Books, throws, cushions, rugs, candles, sheepskin rugs on sofas, more books x

Richie23 · 12/02/2024 15:16

Fireplaces.
Bold colours - either in furniture or on the walls.
I also love a fun patterned wallpaper.
Textures in throws, rugs, cushions, decor etc.

Apollonia1 · 12/02/2024 15:25

Simple, uncluttered lines, in calming neutral colours, so no huge invasion of my senses. Books, table-lights (in addition to ceiling lights), plants, candles, and not too many nick-nacks. Side-tables beside chairs/couches, so easy to place your cup of tea/wine. Modern. Bright and sunny.

DisforDarkChocolate · 12/02/2024 15:26

Room for a Christmas tree in the hall.

Theedgeoftheabyss · 12/02/2024 15:31

The right kind of lighting. We have a golden paper lined lampshade and when it's switched on, the table lamp in our lounge creates a beautiful warm glow.

OP posts:
Iamnotawinp · 12/02/2024 15:35

I’m divorcing and will be looking for a new home soon. I’m hoping that I can buy something and have some serious money left over to do it up/interior design it up to its eyeballs. I’ll be living alone so only have myself to please for once - both exciting and will probably be the cause of endless procrastination and dithering.

My Dd is doing up her own house and I like her style so I’m hoping she’ll be able to help.

I like classic cottage style, books, plants, rugs, pictures, plants etc. Lots of calm colours, but also tempted to go a bit wild as well. I’ll probably end up playing safe by putting up some mad wallpaper in the downstairs loo.

I can get lost on Pinterest for hours too.

Getthethrowonthesofa · 12/02/2024 15:41

Soft squishy sofas in velvet , not crushed, or natural hide
Thick snuggly woolen throws
Lots of thick plump feather filled cushions, not from the likes of next, but made with lovelh material.
wood burners , with a big basket of logs beside
thick wool rugs that feel warm underfoot.
Roman blinds in velvet or silk.
Big plants
candles. Lots of them.
exposed floor boards,
carpet upstairs,
antiques.
dark bathroom tiles or loo painted in a stand out dark colour.
wallpaper. But the really beautiful kind, not the b&q, a tenner a pop for big poppies sort.
granite worksurfaces
Claw foot, roll top baths,
white bed lined
walnut furniture ie sideboard or bedroom
lamps, big lamps, unusual lamps, beautiful lamps. That add to the decor when off.
fairy lights on previously mentioned big plants, stood in corners, to brighten them up in the evening.

this thread won’t be as popular as the other one, as I think some folks find it more fun to sneer. Which kind of tells you all you need to know about their own homes.

CherryRipe1 · 12/02/2024 16:11

Bumbly jumbly junkatique homes. Boho eccentric, old wood, autumnal or jewel colours. Persian rugs, plants in lovely old pots, interesting lamps, old glassware, candlesticks and cushions, textures, mad stuff like taxidermy. Faded elegance. Bits of chinoiserie, fans. Homes that evolve rather than are instantly done.

Spendonsend · 12/02/2024 16:17

I really like a dresser in the kitchen.
I like patterned table cloths
I like boring colours on the wall
I like cheerful pictures. I dont mind if they arent meaningful

dingledangledinkledoo · 12/02/2024 18:38

I'm a mix between a Colourful boho and moody maximalist. I have key pieces that I've collected over the years that I have added to and they just make e happy. I'm about to downsize from a 5 bed town house to a 2 bed miners cottage in a hosted town and I'm mega excited about it. Just today I got a gorgeous old bureau for free and it needs a little TLC but I'm so excited to get on with it and move house in 4-6 weeks.

I'm looking for rich jewel tones, a bit of gold leaf, loads of house plants and a giant squishy Oskar terrad sofa. Hoping to get the fireplaces opened up aswell as the house is very difficult to heat as it's so old. Most of the others in the row seem to have multi fuel stoves fitted.

MILTOBE · 12/02/2024 18:45

DisforDarkChocolate · 12/02/2024 15:26

Room for a Christmas tree in the hall.

That is the dream, isn't it!

MILTOBE · 12/02/2024 18:53

@dingledangledinkledoo Are Oskar Terrad sofas soft to sit on?

LoobyDop · 12/02/2024 19:01

Natural materials- wood, stone, slate, leather, wool, doesn’t matter what, but I like to see a material and know it will feel real to the touch.
Colours that have been chosen because they make someone happy.
Lots of soft, warm lighting coming from different sources.
Art that shows you what the owner loves.
I’m a total sucker for a beautiful Moroccan-style tile, although I don’t have any in my house.
I love houses where light and shade have been used cleverly- not just bright and full on.
I absolutely adore a lovingly-tended vegetable patch.
A house is not really a home without a cat.

Ladybird69 · 12/02/2024 19:09

I’m looking for two new light fittings for my living room so thought that you might help me choose. I’ve whittled it down to these! What do you prefer? Room is cream and dark duck egg blue and I don’t use main lights , I use floor lamps which are antique bronze. I can’t decide I like them all.

bridgetreilly · 12/02/2024 19:10

Lots of colour, lots of pattern, lots of things. I want to walk into my house and smile.

bridgetreilly · 12/02/2024 19:11

As an example of what I love, The Last Homely House youtube channel.

Aarla · 12/02/2024 19:12

Vintage, mid century, quality furniture. We have a beautiful String system, adorned with my childhood books, plants, a stereo and vinyls and photos.

dingledangledinkledoo · 12/02/2024 19:19

@MILTOBE

My great uncle has one that he's had for ages and it's still looks beautiful the more it ages and his is very comfortable. Not sink-into but you feel just so secure sitting on it. It's like a hug.

OurfriendsintheNE · 12/02/2024 19:27

My ideal home would be white walls throughout with amazing artwork in jewel or bright colours in every room. Like a homely version of an art gallery, with lamps galore and lots of texture from soft furnishings.

CherryRipe1 · 12/02/2024 19:37

dingledangledinkledoo · 12/02/2024 18:38

I'm a mix between a Colourful boho and moody maximalist. I have key pieces that I've collected over the years that I have added to and they just make e happy. I'm about to downsize from a 5 bed town house to a 2 bed miners cottage in a hosted town and I'm mega excited about it. Just today I got a gorgeous old bureau for free and it needs a little TLC but I'm so excited to get on with it and move house in 4-6 weeks.

I'm looking for rich jewel tones, a bit of gold leaf, loads of house plants and a giant squishy Oskar terrad sofa. Hoping to get the fireplaces opened up aswell as the house is very difficult to heat as it's so old. Most of the others in the row seem to have multi fuel stoves fitted.

Lush!

Aria999 · 12/02/2024 19:42

I am drawn to warm colours (reds, oranges and terracotta). I love natural wood.

I also like a well put together room in a totally different style from my own. I once was in a house where the living room had a lot of wood and dark blue on the walls, I never would have chosen it but it worked really well because it was done with a good eye.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.