Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the 7 leaders debate will be an awful debate.

58 replies

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 09:55

How can you have a 7 way debate. Why are Plaid Cymru, the SNP and Greens part of it Hmm. I think it's Cameron trying to avoid a head to head with Miliband.

OP posts:
Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 09:56

Ps. It's tonight on itv not sure what time.

OP posts:
Please
or

Pantone363 · 02/04/2015 09:57

Yep lots of sound bites and no real detail. Should've been Con, Lab, Lib, UKIP

Please
or

TywysogesGymraeg · 02/04/2015 10:01

It's going to be a huge waste of time, just as it would have been with just the four main parties. Cameron was right to resist and shouldn't have given in.

We aren't voting for a president. We aren't voting for someone who has the best debating skills. We are voting for a party we would like to govern for the next five years.

Actually we each voting for a local MP to represent us in Parliament, but people seem to forget that

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:03

I think 4 would be sensible. I have never heard of Plaid Cymru before Blush

OP posts:
Please
or

TywysogesGymraeg · 02/04/2015 10:09

Never heard of Plaid Cymru????? Easter Shock
Easter Shock
Easter Shock

Please
or

StrawberryCheese · 02/04/2015 10:12

I agree I don't think we will gain anything from having seven people talking for a few seconds a piece.

I am intrigued as to how Nicola Sturgeon will be perceived by non-scots though. You can't escape her up here.

Please
or

StrawberryCheese · 02/04/2015 10:14

I know a political journalist who can't pronounce Plaid Cymru Confused fortunately he works for a newspaper and not tv.

Please
or

Donatellalymanmoss · 02/04/2015 10:14

Agree it's going to be a shambles and is totally pointless. I actually think what this country needs is a less adversarial approach to politics currently there is too much time spent on degrading opposing policies and petty point scoring.

Please
or

Donatellalymanmoss · 02/04/2015 10:15

Although the greens should be part of it, they are whole UK and have an MP

Please
or

TywysogesGymraeg · 02/04/2015 10:24

Hypothetically speaking (or maybe not Confused) - if the SNP were to win more seats than any other single party, could we have a non-national party in goverment? How would that play out?

Please
or

SpiceAddict · 02/04/2015 10:34

I hope we get some sensible questions about the POLICIES and not personal attacks like the last one. The last debate was diabolical and ruined by the way it was conducted. I am hoping for better tonight.

Actually I think it is good that plaid Cymru and SNP are included as it will show how they 'compare' to the main parties.

Please
or

EsmetheWitch · 02/04/2015 10:40

Since when have UKIP become one of the 4 main parties? The Greens had an MP long before them.

Are our memories so short? I agree it's not the best format for a debate but the Green Party should have been included from the beginning.

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:42

It's tonight at 8pm everyone.

OP posts:
Please
or

sassytheFIRST · 02/04/2015 10:44

Utterly pointless. Cameron was too scared to debate properly so everyone's time - theirs and ours - will be wasted.

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:45

Esmetha ukip got ruled a main party by ofcom. Ukip poll 15 to 18%. So to be fair they are a main party.

OP posts:
Please
or

redshoeblueshoe · 02/04/2015 10:45

sassy - spot on.

Please
or

EsmetheWitch · 02/04/2015 10:46

I'm glad Ofcom get to decide, says a lot about our society.

Green Party membership is about 44,000 and UKIP about 42,000, so they should both be included.

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:50

Anyone that's votes green needs a reality check if I'm honest. Equal rights for rats and humans Hmm

OP posts:
Please
or

EsmetheWitch · 02/04/2015 10:50

And I don't think Cameron is scared. He's smart and doesn't want a debate where he has to defend himself from the right, ie UKIP but Miliband had no one from the left, ie the Greens.

Please
or

OOAOML · 02/04/2015 10:51

Well the original plan was for 3 debates I think: this one with a broad range of parties, I think the second was Con/Lab/Lib and I think UKIP were included, and a Cameron/Milliband head to head. But there's been so much faffing and backtracking that we now have this and last week's effort (at which it appeared the audience were asleep for the first half and someone woke them up during the ad break).

Anyone who's seen me on the Indyref threads will know I am absolutely not a supporter of the SNP, but I think they should be included - they are clearly going to play a major part in the post-election period however the numbers of seats play out. The Greens are getting a lot more support. I don't follow Welsh politics in detail, but if you're including the SNP and the Greens then obviously you have Plaid Cymru on.

I actually think the DUP should be included as well - they have a fair few seats, they want to be included, and we already have 7, so why not 8? OK it will be a challenge for the broadcasters, but we have moved on from the days of Con/lab politics and broadcasters need to find ways to deal with that.

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:52

But the greens poll 6% so not really a major party. If by number of MPs then you should invite George Galloway it just goes on and on.

OP posts:
Please
or

EsmetheWitch · 02/04/2015 10:52

I bet they've at least heard of Plaid Cymru

Please
or

OOAOML · 02/04/2015 10:55

I think they take into account Euro and local elections as well as numbers of seats and opinion polls don't they?

Please
or

Megatronmum · 02/04/2015 10:57

I know I am very embarrassed about that Grin. I'm 25% Welsh as well Blush. But I now know.

OP posts:
Please
or

sourdrawers · 02/04/2015 11:16

I think I'll just flip a coin, they'll all act as their predecessors if they get in anyway.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?