Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Harry Potter gifts - which are the best ( recent child convert!)

Beakerandbungle · 21/08/2021 09:05

Hi everyone

My two DSs have very belatedly got into Harry Potter ( one is 9 but a young 9 as ADHD and the other nearly 7).

This brings me great joy as it’s a new source of gifts Grin. However given there are so many Harry Potter themed stuff just wondered if anyone had any recommends for the best ones they’ve found so far ( and the ones to avoid!).

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeyondMyWits · 21/08/2021 09:20

You need to ask which house they identify with... then you have all of the clothing from hats down to socks...

Primark often does HP stuff, we get pyjamas and socks from there for the kids at Christmas, sooooooo much cheaper than the online HP shop stuff which can be eye-watering in price.

There is a lot of HP tat about... my girls like the jewellery and the platform 9 and 3/4 stuff... they are older and want less of the kiddie stuff now. They used to like anything Dobbie...

Lego is still popular here too and some of the HP lego sets are quite spectacular. We have the mechanical Hedwig (owl) which is really great to look at, play with and build.

Please
or

TheDistortion · 21/08/2021 09:27

What went down best with my kids were wands. Not Harry Potter wands, just cheap battery operated wands that made a magicy noise when you pressed a button. Also dressing up , so a set of robes. They also liked to play "we are going to Hogwarts" which involved shopping in Diagon alley, for which we needed toy owls, cats etc (again not specifically Potter but could be), a lot of books, the robes, and the wands. Then we got on the train and the boat (sofa), did the sorting hat (just a hat) and made potions.
Apart from the robes, they have enjoyed HP Lego, the trivia questions set and HP scrabble, but were a bit older then. And best of all was a trip to the HP studio.

Please
or

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 21/08/2021 09:31

Yes, clothes and bedding, Primark has had some affordable stuff.
My ds gets great value from his Harry Potter Lego because he does stop motion animation with it.

Stuff that has been a waste- official wands and a golden snitch that flaps its wings.
The sweets are well done but outrageously expensive.

Please
or

GuyFawkesDay · 21/08/2021 09:34

H&M just launched HP clothes which are lovely.

Please
or

SpiceWeaselBAM · 21/08/2021 09:34

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOW-STUFF-WW-1128-Potter-Painting/dp/B07Y154PH3/ref=dpprsubss1?pdrddi=B07Y154PH3&psc=1

We have had a lot of fun with this light painting wand. You can get an app to make it easy to make light painting pictures with the wand.

Please
or

MrsWooster · 21/08/2021 09:36

That light painting wand is really good and we bought a Hermione gown in H&M yesterday which is fab and they had lots of really good stuff.

Please
or

Beakerandbungle · 21/08/2021 10:23

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Huge Lego fans so that might be main present sorted

OP's posts:
Please
or

SarBear1980 · 21/08/2021 11:09

Definitely the Lego! The Headwig set is amazing and so is the Hogwarts Express…mine is HP mad and loved these last Christmas. For his 7th birthday we did HP Studios as his present and it was amazing - the library of books that they read in the book is lovely too for those who love to read and get a bit disappointed at the end of the last book. Quidditch through the ages and two others.

Please
or

SarBear1980 · 21/08/2021 11:10

Also this year my Elf on the shelf is getting a Harry Potter make over and a Christmas Dobby friend!! I’m also going to use Etsy to get some chocolate coins with pictures on and mini bags of sweets themed to fill our homemade advent calendar.

Please
or

NeverTalkToStrangers · 21/08/2021 11:15

A trip to the studio tour is hands down the best thing. A trip to Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross is also great if you happen to be in London.

Primark is great for stocking fillers: socks, scarves, random tat.

The Lego is great - there are sets for every budget.

Please
or

Anoisagusaris · 21/08/2021 11:17

Primark stuff is great. Over the years we’ve got bedclothes, blankets, cushions, sweatshirts, wall plaques, notebooks, pens etc.

Please
or

TheFairPrincess · 21/08/2021 11:19

Oh my gosh I was a huge HP fan as a child (well I still am a huge fan Grin ) and I also played we're going to hogwarts!

• I had a broomstick (check Amazon)
  • A wand (same as a PP the generic ones are fine)
  • Some HP school books in the form of the 2 charity books Fantastic Beasts and a History of Quidditch. I had a quick google and you can get a gorgeous "Hogwarts Library" set that contains all 3 supplementary JKR books
  • A cauldron - buy in October when all the halloween stuff is in
  • If possible some HP/Honeydukes sweets
  • A robe or HP themed dressing gown

God I can't wait til my DC are old enough to enjoy HP Halo
Please
or

Bryonyshcmyony · 21/08/2021 11:23

The really expensive pure wool slytherin jumper that's made in Scotland
Bought for dd 5 years ago and she still wears it

Please
or

Shufflebumnessie · 21/08/2021 12:12

DS is 9 and a recent Harry Potter fan. He's a young 9 and still loves playing with toys. Lego and small figures are a favourite. He has a wonderful imagination!
His favourite things are various HP Lego sets, his HP robe (from Tesco), his HP replica wand (from the shop at Platform 9 3/4 that we visited a few weeks ago) and a HP toiletries bag (Primark).

For Christmas he's getting a HP duvet cover and fleece throw (Primark) and a few more Lego sets. There will also be a variety of HP themed items such as pjs, t-shirts and various stocking fillers - pens, notepads etc (Primark do quite a good selection). I also noticed Primark Do a Hogwarts carry on suitcase for £35. DS has a school trip coming up and needs a small bag so I'm tempted by that too Blush
I've also seen HP clothing and other bits in in Primark, H&M, M&S, Next, Amazon, Argos and I'm sure there are many more!

Please
or

Shufflebumnessie · 21/08/2021 12:16

You can also get a variety of HP games - Uno, Dobble etc.

Please
or
Please
or

Howshouldibehave · 21/08/2021 12:18

These mini kits are good.

Harry Potter gifts - which are the best ( recent child convert!)
Please
or

Luckymamma · 21/08/2021 12:20

Aldi online has some good HP stuff at mo! Sorry if already been said!

Please
or

CointreauVersial · 21/08/2021 12:20

DD2 turned 18 today, and we did a mini-shop in the York Harry Potter shop. She particularly loved:

Harry Potter playing cards (one suite per house)
Tiny Golden Snitch earrings
Bertie Botts Any Flavour jellybeans

Please
or

toolazytothinkofausername · 21/08/2021 12:21

H&M Harry Potter clothing range

Please
or

itsgettingwierd · 21/08/2021 12:32

My ds is a fan too and he's now 17!

Over the years he's had puzzles, blanket, bedding, pens, jumpers, slipper etc.

Please
or

itsgettingwierd · 21/08/2021 12:33

Oh yes we've got the double, cards etc too!

Please
or

Beakerandbungle · 21/08/2021 13:26

Thanks you everyone Smile. Looks like Christmas shouldn’t be a problem this year!

OP's posts:
Please
or

BikeRunSki · 21/08/2021 13:28

@Beakerandbungle

Hi everyone

My two DSs have very belatedly got into Harry Potter ( one is 9 but a young 9 as ADHD and the other nearly 7).

This brings me great joy as it’s a new source of gifts Grin. However given there are so many Harry Potter themed stuff just wondered if anyone had any recommends for the best ones they’ve found so far ( and the ones to avoid!).

9 is not late, it’s just the right age!
Please
or

BikeRunSki · 21/08/2021 13:50

HP presents are the presents that you can just keep giving.

Studio tour is amazing!
Wands, of course
Primark pretty much always have clothes/slippers/socks/T shirts in, and various supermarkets from time to time
Boden and M&S have done HP kids clothing ranges in the past, May do again, but places like character.com always have T shirts and PJs
Fancy dress
Stationery
Mugs
The Works had a lot of stuff a couple of Christmasses ago eg: lunch bag, playing cards, water bottle, sorting hat toy
If you are at anywhere near York, The Shambles is what inspired Diagon Alley and there is an amazing HP shop there (The Shop Which Can Not Be Named) and a couple of copycat shops too. Can not be Named has stuff in that I havn’t seen anywhere else.
If you are in the NE, you can have broomstick lessons at Alnwick Castle (where the HP broomstick lessons were filmed in the first movie)
DD had some HP, Ginny dolls (Action Man/Barbie type size).
School bags and sports bags

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?