Talk

Advanced search

Sarah Champion MP tweeting lies

(48 Posts)
AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Mon 23-Apr-18 14:33:17

twitter.com/SarahChampionMP/status/988397396169232384

Saying that Mumsnet Users are calling for a new trans Section 28

You would think that she might take the time to check the facts before retweeting LIES all over the internet. Fuck sake. Do Labour want to lose all women supporters do you think?

BlackeyedSusan Mon 23-Apr-18 14:38:11

just makes herself look someone who cannot read properly, nor who could check facts first.

AncientLights Mon 23-Apr-18 14:38:41

Apparently they do. I don't think lots of them have understood yet the long grasp of the internet. All their 'mis-speaks' on whatever subject are there for posterity and will forever be resurrected. No escape for anyone who is active on SM.

Wanderabout Mon 23-Apr-18 14:41:28

Sarah Ditum's tweet on this 'story' nails this one:

FFS "users" here = one data-protection-flouting ex-employee's *interpretation of what one poster said. And if anything is like Section 28, it's the mad enforced silencing of the idea that children might actually not be "in the wrong body", in favour of blanket "affirmation".*

Wanderabout Mon 23-Apr-18 14:42:26

Trying again with the bolding.

Today 14:41 Wanderabout

Sarah Ditum's tweet on this 'story' nails this one:

FFS "users" here = one data-protection-flouting ex-employee's *interpretation of what one poster said. And if anything is like Section 28, it's the mad enforced silencing of the idea that children might actually not be "in the wrong body", in favour of blanket "affirmation".

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 23-Apr-18 14:44:49

I'm not surprised that politicians, like most other people, seem to take what they see online as fact without doing even a modicum of fact checking. She's a fool. I hope she ends up retracting that tweet and apologising. What she'll probably actually do is quietly delete the tweet and pretend she never said such a thing.

I also hope Liz Truss puts her straight as well.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Mon 23-Apr-18 14:53:32

And two tweets later she's retweeting someone pointing out the importance of safeguarding and how abusers will always try to go where victims are vulnerable.

It's like silvery and goldy only made out of iron...

Freespeecher Mon 23-Apr-18 14:53:52

She's an odd one. As a Rotherham MP she (eventually) realised that the first step towards resolving a problem, in this case the grooming (and worse) of underage girls, is to recognise its existence, only to promptly back down and resign when challenged - if you'll excuse a Sun link: www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/4218648/british-pakistani-men-raping-exploiting-white-girls/amp/

Regarding her current tweet, it looks like she's gone off half-cocked without doing her due diligence so I'd expect an apology in the near future.

nauticant Mon 23-Apr-18 14:53:58

Just so it's clear, the MN post in question is here. It's clearly a satirical proposal by a supporter of trans rights about what MN could do if it were to launch a campaign of transphobia.

It turns out Sarah Champion is an ignorant bandwagon jumper. Who could possibly have guessed?

Ellenripleysalienbaby Mon 23-Apr-18 14:55:42

God how embarrassing for Sarah Champion.

I am becoming increasingly concerned at the total lack of any sort of fact checking by people these days, but especially when they are MPs!

BlackeyedSusan Mon 23-Apr-18 14:58:25

and about women's refuges. If women can not have a women only space to be in there is a chance that their abuser will track them down and self id in to get revenge. Some of them stop at nothing.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 23-Apr-18 14:59:34

This thread has been pointed out to her though so maybe she will get round to doing some research.

LizzieSiddal Mon 23-Apr-18 15:00:10

I find it shocking that an MP would quote anything from Pink News!

Wanderabout Mon 23-Apr-18 15:01:18

Maybe she will retweet their article about why incest is a good idea next?

athingthateveryoneneeds Mon 23-Apr-18 15:01:29

Politicians should stay off Twitter entirely imo. Makes them all look like complete fools.

Wanderabout Mon 23-Apr-18 15:03:07

Except it is having a disproportionate affect on policy. In this debate and others. And to the detriment of critical thinking.

athingthateveryoneneeds Mon 23-Apr-18 15:05:42

the detriment of critical thinking. I think all social media has this affect, but Twitter is definitely bad for it. Everyone is truncating their thoughts to 140 characters or less, skimming article titles and formulating opinions based on heresay and rumour.

R0wantrees Mon 23-Apr-18 15:09:17

Put 'Section 28' into Twitter search and you will see how widespread this headline is...

www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/04/20/mumsnet-whistleblower-transgender-section-28/

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Mon 23-Apr-18 15:29:25

It's the same old nutters retweeting though R0wan

LifelongVaginaOwner Mon 23-Apr-18 15:33:22

She's also tweeted "Royal baby: Duchess gives birth to boy". And how do we know it's a boy Sarah?

IntelligentYetIndecisive Mon 23-Apr-18 15:37:56

It's been announced on the radio, although I understand your question.

Young Royal baby has been assigned male at birth due to the appearance of his genitals.

Ze will later decide whether ze's a boy or girl.

therealposieparker Mon 23-Apr-18 15:38:19

One of the tweets I sent to her about Mermaids was included in the complaint to police. The tweet I replied to was then deleted by Champion. This I discovered via a "deleted MP tweets account".

R0wantrees Mon 23-Apr-18 15:40:04

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth
This is widespread with LGBT+ accounts etc- way beyond active TRAs.

LifelongVaginaOwner Mon 23-Apr-18 15:42:31

It's been announced on the radio, although I understand your question.

Young Royal baby has been assigned male at birth due to the appearance of his genitals.

Ze will later decide whether ze's a boy or girl.

Well exactly. It's almost like she hasn't read anything on mumsnet, or anything TRAs say about lady penises, thought about how that relates to 'it's a boy', and is just retweeting PN to look 'woke'

ArcheryAnnie Mon 23-Apr-18 15:45:00

She's a total embarrassment. "Politician cannot spot satire - news at 11."

It makes sense why we've now got all these false flag trolls, though - that one satirical post by a pro-trans=extremism person has given them a lot to work with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: