Talk

Advanced search

Woman attacked for attending a WPUK meeting

(44 Posts)
RedToothBrush Sat 10-Mar-18 22:50:23

Two Flames @msjenniferjames
wtf... Have just seen this... a senior trade union woman was attacked on a picket line for having attended a @Womans_Place_UK meeting to discuss self-id. Anyone know any more?

twitter.com/msjenniferjames/status/972591738329161728Thread

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sat 10-Mar-18 22:58:28

Is 'members of an external group' short for 'that woman in the orange jacket and her mate in the sparkly gold lame jumper'?

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sat 10-Mar-18 23:00:11

Organised groups turning up in disguise to attack people on a picket line. Now where have I seen that before?

#Orgreave

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Sat 10-Mar-18 23:00:13

Fuck. I hope she's OK

TheMonstrousRegiment Sat 10-Mar-18 23:03:02

Absolutely disgustingangry.

Glad Jennifer James is getting the word out. She seems like a dangerous woman to piss offgrin

thebewilderness Sat 10-Mar-18 23:03:17

It is not uncommon for transgender advocates to join other groups of demonstrators and pose as the leaders of vast numbers.
It sounds like they tackled to wrong group to co-opt this time.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sat 10-Mar-18 23:05:37

Jennifer James is one thing. But I wouldn't fuck with the RMT tbh.

And I think what we're seeing is that these idiots think they can use the might of the Trades Unions and they've got so far because people want to be nice. But they don't get the codes. You don't fuck with a picket line.

Weebo Sat 10-Mar-18 23:06:49

"About 20-30 people surrounded her screaming TERF and telling people to get her out, tried to force her out, police had to intervene. Fucking insane."

Fucking hell. sad

DebbieInBirmingham Sat 10-Mar-18 23:15:18

If these reports are true it is shocking.

I am a trans person and I was at that WPUK meeting. WPUK are not transphobic. I hope the woman who was attacked is OK. :-(

LabourLostMe Sat 10-Mar-18 23:15:56

I read some of the Twitter comments below and also from FB, apparently more details will be shared. That this could happen is fucking terrifying.

I cancelled my ticket for a WPUK meeting as it was one of the early ones and in a city which I am not familiar with. I felt bad doing so as the meetings need support, but having been punched in the face by a man once and seeing the incident at Speaker's Corner I felt scared to attend.

If WPUK hold a meeting closer to my home I will definitely attend, I feel braver now than I did then and these bullies can fuck off.

thebewilderness Sat 10-Mar-18 23:19:51

They assaulted a woman last September at Speakers Corner, they terrorized the neighborhood by chanting "burn it down" outside of a meeting women were attending. Transgender advocates have been targeting and intimidating women for months.
How can this be characterized as shocking?

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sat 10-Mar-18 23:26:47

It is awful. She's clearly been targeted and when we know more details it might be clear why (high profile person or similar).

But please don't be put off the meetings. The demonstration outside the London meeting was derisory. Honestly, it really was utterly pathetic. I've felt more bodily terror at soft play.

And the women leaving the venue milled around checking that everyone was ok so no-one got left alone to deal with it or anything like that. The meetings are great.

OlennasWimple Sat 10-Mar-18 23:31:40

WTF?

Interesting, though, that the initial report of the incident framed it as "middle class campus politics" interfering with the working class picket line

NotTerfNorCis Sat 10-Mar-18 23:31:40

ATH again it's being said.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Sat 10-Mar-18 23:35:01

Oh. Not our gold lame cisters then. I stand corrected.

woman11017 Sat 10-Mar-18 23:46:17

I wouldn't fuck with the RMT
Here's hoping they have the nous and integrity of Bob Crowe.

MarSeeAh Sun 11-Mar-18 02:02:36

I was at the Edinburgh meeting last month, and when we left the meeting, at least one of the TRA protestors was filming us. They all had their faces covered, we didn't.

This looks like they are sharing film and photos of those who attended the meetings organised by WPUK and Venice Allan, putting names to our faces, and then organising themselves to protest against and attack us as individuals.

HelenaDove Sun 11-Mar-18 02:11:25

Someone on TV called trans people translucent tonight. Ive seen absolutely no one call him out on Twitter for it though.

Because hes a man i suspect. I didnt watch him being interviewed tonight as i cant stand him.

But it does show/prove that its women only being criticized AND for only being concerned about safe spaces for women.

HelenaDove Sun 11-Mar-18 02:12:22

i read a TV critics review of the programme.

CircleSquareCircleSquare Sun 11-Mar-18 03:44:25

What the actual fuck?
I’m horrified by this and this is exactly why I’m terrified to attend the events.

RedToothBrush Sun 11-Mar-18 07:38:06

In other news the meeting due to be held at millwall and cancelled:
www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/5776126/millwall-axe-feminist-night-threats/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Millwall FC cancel rally at their stadium over fears of violent clashes between feminists and transgender activists

It will now be held at the House of Commons.

Epic

Mouthtrousersafrocknowandthen Sun 11-Mar-18 07:47:23

Love that Red! Extraordinary. I think I will ask the Saints in Southampton to host a meeting.

RedToothBrush Sun 11-Mar-18 07:48:04

There are several genuis things about holding this meeting at the HoC.

1) It legitimises these meetings. No one can say they are extremist if the HoC is prepared to host. This means other venues have no reason to be cowards in future. If they are forced to pull an event it shows up the TRAs to be the extremists.
2) Hosting at the HoC gives the opportunity for MPs to attend quietly. I'm assuming they will be able to enter without being filmed doing so too.
3) Women at the meeting might get a chance to demonstrate to the people making the law what their concerns REALLY are.

OvaHere Sun 11-Mar-18 09:10:48

Shocking. Glad the RMT are expressing anger about this.

GoodyMog Sun 11-Mar-18 09:13:46

Holding it at the HoC means good security too, plus I'd imagine threats to the venue will be taken much more seriously.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: