Talk

Advanced search

Birchbox Advent Calendar Daily Thread

(25 Posts)
CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Sat 30-Nov-19 22:55:09

Has anyone else bought the Birchbox advent calendar?

Unpacked it from the cardboard box it arrived in tonight (calendar still sealed so far)

It's blinking heavy, isn't it! smile

PrincessWatermelon Sat 30-Nov-19 22:58:37

Yes, but I'm saving mine for January!!

AllIWantForChristmasIsTomHardy Sun 01-Dec-19 09:18:38

Yes I've opened mine! A decent brand for day 1

Writersblock2 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:41:39

What is it? I don’t have this calendar but I am interested.

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Sun 01-Dec-19 09:47:05

Aveda Shampure body lotion this morning. Little bit eh cos I have thousands of body lotions but tbf this is a beauty calendar so there's going to be a few more popping up haha! smile

Smells lovely and sample (50ml) is filled right up to the top.

Writersblock2 Sun 01-Dec-19 09:50:22

That’s a great size! I’ll be watching with interest to see if this could be a contender for next year. smile

Kez0777 Sun 01-Dec-19 16:19:46

A good day one. I'm terrible at remembering to use body lotion so made sure I used it after my shower and smelt very Aveda and really nice.
Can't wait to see what else we get over the next couple of weeks 😁

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Mon 02-Dec-19 23:12:16

I've got some Laura Geller lipglosses that are BEAUTIFUL in colour and glitter - enough to give you a proper bling without it looking like you're wearing a kids make up set with huge bits of glitter on your lips so I hadt high hopes for todays box.

Laura Geller easy illuminating stick in gilded honey

In practice however I'm not sure if the glitter isn't a bit too obvious - IMO it looks like I've got eyeshadow 'drop down' over my face from it - even under foundation. Anyone else tried it? smile

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Tue 03-Dec-19 08:06:10

This calendar is so well made, I can't wait to use it afterwards. It's all so thick and luxe looking too.

Day 3: Oribe Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse

Just googled it because I haven't used a Mousse in my hair probably ever because it's straight as a die and ridiculously fine even though there's a lot of it.

The full size of 175ml is £36 (gulp!) this is 30ml. I'll give it a try but this might be one that i pass on to my cousin who does a lot more with her hair than I do can

LimpLettice Tue 03-Dec-19 12:23:15

I've got one of these! My mum has the Debenhams one so will be swapping anything I don't like with her.

Loving the chubby stick. It's very dewy on me rather than glittery, I'm quite sallow skinned though!

I used the mousse this morning. I do have a lot of hair, so not strictly necessary but defo a volumising effect.

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Wed 04-Dec-19 09:50:25

smile I'm the same too, I have a lot but it's very fine.

Today - Lumene Arctic Hydra Care Rich Day Cream 15ml - I haven't broken the seal yet cos I'm working my way through another day cream. The full size appears to be about 50ml around £25.

LimpLettice Wed 04-Dec-19 14:52:22

I've literally just finished a L'Occitane day cream so opened the Lumene this morning. It's extremely rich and dense, and normally I would think far too heavy for day use on my combination skin. Gave it a go anyway, as my poor face gets blasted walking the dog first thing and actually was pleased. Felt a bit like a barrier cream and hasn't made my makeup slip off.

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Thu 05-Dec-19 08:49:45

Bit meh this morning, will be passing it on.

Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula Natural Bronze Body Lotion. Gradual Tanning Moisturiser 20ml

Had a palmers sample from a box really not that long ago and passed on that too as I'd had a gradual tanner not that long ago (so this is the 3rd in 6 months). I'm very light coloured and it was supposed to be 'light to medium' so I spread some on the back of my hand and rubbed it in as described and where I'd spread it in was BRIGHT orange for days afterwards. Thank god I hadn't put it on my face to test it grin. If that was 'light to medium' I dread to think what medium/dark would have ended up as!

LimpLettice Thu 05-Dec-19 11:00:36

Also a bit meh on the Palmers. Doesn't feel like as much of a treat.

RenardeRenarde Thu 05-Dec-19 12:28:43

Agree the palmers isn’t much cop is it? Feels very basic. Wasn’t very excited by the day 1 body lotion either. I liked the highlighter and I’m always in the market for a nice mousse so will enjoy trying those. I don’t think I’ll be able to use the lumene so I’ll pass that on.

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Fri 06-Dec-19 08:35:36

Haven't heard of this brand - I do like that it is all paraben free however as my mum is allergic to SLS and it's a nightmare getting stuff for her sometimes. I think I'd have preferred a shampoo rather than a conditioner to give it a proper try but you can't have everything! smile

Sukin Haircare - Natural Balance Conditioner for normal hair 50ml

A litre of this appears to be approx £10 so approx this is probably one of the cheapest samples grin

housebuyer101 Fri 06-Dec-19 23:04:06

Place marking as I also have this! Can't say I'm impressed yet

Kez0777 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:12:19

I opened today's yesterday 🙄
I will pass on the cocoa butter as I don't really use fake tan but I will use everything else we've had so far.
Not looked at yesterday's yet but I use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner so will definitely use that.
I like the look of today's although I haven't tried it yet.

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Sat 07-Dec-19 10:06:00

Today's goes on well and it's a lovely colour and easy to put where you want it to be (as in one of mine is a little too 'waxy' like on application and if you're warm it can smudge (but it's such a lovely colour!) But it's unfortunately too goldy mid brown for me with my dark dark brown hair.

HD Brows Brow Define - 002 Foxy

housebuyer101 Sat 07-Dec-19 19:29:19

I loved today's

CottonHeadedNinyMuggins Sun 08-Dec-19 10:23:28

Mini jade face roller... Bit out there for me 😂

housebuyer101 Sun 08-Dec-19 15:15:27

Deffo a weird one today but I'm enjoying it haha

LimpLettice Sun 08-Dec-19 15:48:57

Roller is a bit crackers looking, but what they heck I'll give it a go!

Kez0777 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:44:45

I have really enjoyed using today's and will keep trying to use it everyday 😁 it's what I love about a beauty advent calendar, you try things you wouldn't ever think of buying 🤣

housebuyer101 Sun 08-Dec-19 22:33:07

@Kez0777 yes totally agree! I find the roller weirdly relaxing haha

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »