Talk

Advanced search

Period symptoms no one talks about

(439 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TammySwansonTwo Tue 05-Jun-18 19:16:32

Day 1 of my period today which is always horrific (double whammy of endometriosis and adenomyosis) and was just thinking about how many weird symptoms I think of as normal, because no one ever talks about them.

The main ones for me are javelin arse and the feeling that my vulva has run a marathon. Oh, and the fact that I had no idea periods were supposed to be red until after my first surgery - I thought I was bleeding to death.

So much isn’t talked about that many women put up with awful stuff for years, and illnesses like endometriosis take years to diagnose. I think we should talk about it more!

What are other people’s weird period symptoms that they believe(d) are normal / universal?

FlibbertyGiblets Tue 05-Jun-18 19:18:51

Period poo. Lovely.

Javelin arse.
Achy things and vulva.

FlibbertyGiblets Tue 05-Jun-18 19:19:16

*thighs

Fat fingers #eyeroll

Midge1978 Tue 05-Jun-18 19:21:13

Terrible headache the day before, makes me feel sick.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 05-Jun-18 19:21:32

Achy legs. Clumsiness and a stammer that I don't have at any other time of the month. Oh the joy. hmm

Naynayba Tue 05-Jun-18 19:24:17

yes to javelin arse and achey vulva! along with awful bloating, it makes it difficult for me to sit down sometimes!

MrsJayy Tue 05-Jun-18 19:26:59

The squits weird sore legs and I can't cook my concentration goes and I burn stuff usually day before I start we have stick in oven dinners or a take away.

MrsJayy Tue 05-Jun-18 19:28:48

I have nightmares or really vivid dreams,

ThisCannotBe Tue 05-Jun-18 19:29:09

@justmuddlingalong you have just changed my fucking life!

I've been thinking all sorts of scary shit with the once every month or so stammer and now it has just clicked that it coincides!

God bless you, and OP for starting this thread!

florenceswashingmachine Tue 05-Jun-18 19:30:17

Vomiting and diarrhea , and that feeling that someone is hanging weights from your cervix and pulling it further and further down :-(

DaisyDreaming Tue 05-Jun-18 19:30:33

Leg pain.

Does anyone else have smelly small clots towards the end of their cycle? Not really a question I ask people in real life!

HelloCanYouHearMe Tue 05-Jun-18 19:30:37

night sweats... horrible, soaking night sweats

Andromache77 Tue 05-Jun-18 19:31:00

Nothing compared to these examples but on the lead-up I keep changing stations on my car's radio because all the music is crap (which it is but especially on those days).

ShirleyPhallus Tue 05-Jun-18 19:31:42

I absolutely thought that a period meant a period of time of about a week when all the blood would spurt out in one go

I squarely blame my year 6 sex education for that

DaisyDreaming Tue 05-Jun-18 19:32:07

Weirdest period symptom I’ve ever read about was one poor lady having anaphylaxis regularly with no known trigger. Itbwas getting worse and worse until her husband noticed the pattern fitted in with her cycle and turns out she was reacting to a hormone level

oigetoffmycheese Tue 05-Jun-18 19:32:12

A feeling of weakness. I struggle to do any of my fitness classes. I normally work hard but on period I just can't. Only just made the connection

Tonicwaterandgin Tue 05-Jun-18 19:32:24

Yes to all of these! "Period poo" as it's known in my house, achy vagina and clumsiness but the worst is the leg pain. Sometimes the pains I get in my thighs are worse than the actual period pain!

Frogqueen13 Tue 05-Jun-18 19:32:31

I get a really hot bum and become very thirsty

MrsJayy Tue 05-Jun-18 19:32:53

1 of my Dds used to faint she went on the pill but she used to just thud to the floor on her first day.

SeamusMacDubh Tue 05-Jun-18 19:33:09

Really, clumsy. To stupid levels.

Period poo.

Aching lower back.

Period spot; always the same, unsqueezable, under the skin sore lump.

Night sweats.

Super hungry.

Justmuddlingalong Tue 05-Jun-18 19:33:17

grin @ThisCannotBe. It's one of the 1st signs I'm due. It was DP who noticed it a few years ago and it's literally for about 3 days before AF arrives.

MrStarkIDontFeelSoGood Tue 05-Jun-18 19:33:34

Itchy pubes

Period Poo

SeamusMacDubh Tue 05-Jun-18 19:33:57

Glad the night sweats isn't just me @HelloCanYouHearMe

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Jun-18 19:34:00

Fanny farts.

Idontlikelambchop Tue 05-Jun-18 19:34:04

Nightmares, clots the size of the palm of my hand for 8/9 days, excessive amount of farts and bloating blush achey vulva, shooting pains down my legs and contraction like period pains, causing vomiting... aren’t periods lovely?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: