Talk

Advanced search

Can Jack be a nickname for Jonathan?

(39 Posts)
bluebabydinosaur Fri 09-Feb-18 07:05:28

I know Jack is a nickname for John but do you think that Jack can be a nickname for Jonathan or is that too much of a stretch? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:08:47

No. It’s a completely different name. Jon is a nickname for Jonathan.

Chillywhippet Fri 09-Feb-18 07:10:04

Jonty is another nn

SwanVests Fri 09-Feb-18 07:10:21

I don’t think Jack is a nickname for John. John is a nickname for Jonathan and Jack is a name in itself.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 09-Feb-18 07:11:30

No, sorry

BiologyMatters Fri 09-Feb-18 07:11:37

No.

TheVanguardSix Fri 09-Feb-18 07:12:29

No.

bluebabydinosaur Fri 09-Feb-18 07:13:39

I like Jonty! Thank you.

Buxbaum Fri 09-Feb-18 07:14:36

"In English Jack is traditionally used as a nickname for John."

OP, you're right, but as PP's comments show I think a lot of people don't know that Jack wasn't a name in its own right until fairly recently. I don't think you can saddle your child with a name that is technically correct but which requires explaining every time.

Rylanmakesmyheartsmile Fri 09-Feb-18 07:15:17

Jack is definitely a nickname for John, but not for Jonathan - sorry. Nicknames/shortenings for Jonathan would be Jon, Jonty, Jonny, Jonno. (Although be aware that if you go with Jon - he will spend his life with his name being written as John (speaking from experience here))

Ginandplatonic Fri 09-Feb-18 07:15:29

SwanVests Jack IS a nickname for John. John is a name in itself, Jon is a nn for Jonathan.

I don’t think you can use Jack for Jonathan. Why not just use Jack?

My favourite nn for Jonathan is Jonty as pp suggested.

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:15:49

Yeah, John. Not Jonathan. They’re two different names.

sirlee66 Fri 09-Feb-18 07:15:50

I wouldn't use Wikipedia as a reliable source.........

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:16:34

(Sorry, that was to Bux)

Buxbaum Fri 09-Feb-18 07:25:41

John and Jonathan both come from a common Hebrew source of Iohannes, Latinised from Yohanan. They are basically the same name.

Please feel free to take your pick of any number of legitimate sources, but I wouldn't be so snobby about Wikipedia - the batshit stuff gets peer-edited out pretty quickly. Cross-referenced against other sources it's very useful and generally reliable.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Fri 09-Feb-18 07:30:27

I know a Jack whose full name is Jonathan. Also a Joe.

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:30:57

It’s irrelevant that they come from the same source. They are now two separate names, and Jack originated as a nickname for only one of them (John).

Jack has never been a nickname for Jonathan, and it will sound forced. That said, the OP can (and might as well) use Nigel as a nickname for Jonathan, if she wants.

Buxbaum Fri 09-Feb-18 07:31:48

OK, Husky. I'll check with the name etymology police next time.

FWIW I agree with you that it won't work.

Bananmanfan Fri 09-Feb-18 07:32:06

I know of 3 Jonathans called Joff.

Tiddlywinks63 Fri 09-Feb-18 07:36:17

I thought you could use any name you like for a nickname, and that a nickname is different to just abbreviating a name?
I know a Jonathan called Joz and another called Thon.

GU24Mum Fri 09-Feb-18 07:38:37

We knew a Jonathan who was Joe for short.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Fri 09-Feb-18 07:39:57

I wouldn't do it personally as it will just cause confusion as these days most Jacks are Jack on their birth certificate rather than John

Husky - yes John and Jonathan are different names but your assertion that they are 'completely different names' is slightly ridiculous - would you say the same about Sophie/Sophia or Mark/Marcus?

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:46:35

Kinda think Sophie and Sophia are more similar than John & Jonathan, but whatever.

It’s like saying Mary and Miriam are the ‘basically the same name’.

DoloresLandingham Fri 09-Feb-18 07:47:36

I don’t think it’s irrelevant that John and Jonathan are related. Helen / Ellen / Eleanor / Helena are all distinct but related names which can all legitimately have the nn Nell.

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 07:48:53

Fair enough. We’ll have to agree to disagree, because I don’t think Jonathan is a name that can legitimately have the nickname Jack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: