Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What is Wooly hugs?

Mustardfan · 28/12/2021 20:10

Just that, I’m curious about what this chat is?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cookerhood · 28/12/2021 20:12

It's a lovely bit of the site. Maybe look at the other threads? Then you will know.

Please
or

Mustardfan · 29/12/2021 08:00

I agree, it seems to be a lovely bit, where most of the replies are lovely. I have looked at threads before posting my question, but I’m still not clear.

OP's posts:
Please
or

kikipie · 29/12/2021 08:56

It’s volunteers who knit or crochet squares or blankets for different projects/individuals.

Please
or

Mustardfan · 29/12/2021 16:28

Thanks for explaining. Do you actually post them to people?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RiaOverTheRainbow · 29/12/2021 16:42

Yes. There are lots of projects, including blankets for MNers who have been bereaved, for children's hospitals, and for children in care. This is their website.

Please
or

WhatsitWiggle · 01/01/2022 22:57

Hi @Mustardfan

Woolly Hugs is a charity, the purpose is to send hand crafted blankets to people in need of a "hug". There are many ongoing projects which are on their website, and then the personalised blankets for mumsnetters which are the individual threads you see.

If you've ever wrapped yourself up in a blanket when wanting to feel comforted, you'll understand why we do what we do.

Please
or

Waitwhat23 · 01/01/2022 23:01

It's one of the absolutely best aspects of Mumsnet. I can't crotchet or knit so can't contribute but when I see threads come up, I am always deeply moved by the posters who craft squares for the blankets, using special, personal details to comfort those who have lost someone.

Please
or

Mustardfan · 02/01/2022 21:33

Thanks for explaining, it seemed surprising to think that people post them, as mumsnet is mainly anonymous.

OP's posts:
Please
or

WhatsitWiggle · 03/01/2022 16:58

It's coordinated by the charity, so those crafting can remain anonymous (I've sent several parcels of squares and blankets under a different username) and only the charity would know the recipients actual name and address.

@Waitwhat23 you can still contribute - buy something from one of the craft sales or donate some yarn or funds. There's several contributors who help in this way. Donated yarn is then posted to people who like to craft but can't afford the yarn.

Please
or

Waitwhat23 · 04/01/2022 09:04

I didn't know that - I will take a look at the website. Thank you!

Please
or

AgathaMystery · 04/01/2022 09:06

It’s lovely. You can be anon or not. I am fairly anon on here and once made a square for a family I know IRL. I’ve since seen the blanket in the flesh (so to speak). I cannot describe how beautiful it is. Honestly. The family use it every day - it’s on their sofa.

Please
or

BlackeyedSusan · 07/01/2022 01:49

send your square or blanket to wh hq... they collect them. make the squares into blankets, and they get sent off to whichever project they are for.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.