Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Telegraph: Schools left to write own transgender rules ‘behind parents’ backs’

ResisterRex · 03/08/2022 18:14

Couldn't see a thread on this. Sex Matters, SSA quoted too:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/02/schools-left-write-transgender-rules-behind-parents-backs/

"Schools will continue to set their own policies on transgender pupils, including whether to tell parents if a child has changed their name, as the Government delays new guidance.
The Department for Educationn_ (DfE) has been working on national guidance for headteachers on transgender pupils since April.
However, Whitehall sources told The Telegraph that this will not be ready for the autumn term.
The guidance, which is being drawn up with the support of the Equalities and Human Rights Commissionn, is expected to include clear instructions about keeping parents informedd if their child says they want to become known socially by a new name and gender identity.
It will also advise schools on which changing rooms can be used by transgender pupils, whether they can join single-sex sports teams, and what uniform they should wear.
Currently, teachers have a legal obligation under the 2010 Equalities Act to protect all pupils from discrimination, but there is no national guidance for schools on what to do when a child says they want to socially transition.
It is understood that James Cleverly, who was appointed Education Secretary last month after his two predecessors resigned within days of each otherr_, has no appetite to bring forward such a major policy before a new prime minister and Cabinet is appointed. 
The guidance, which will require sign-off from Suella Braverman, the Attorney Generall_, is not expected to be ready until next year."

OP's posts:
Please
or

ResisterRex · 03/08/2022 18:16

Accessible copy here:

mobile.twitter.com/WomensRightsNet/status/1554699275933814785

Robert Halfon also quoted:

"Robert Halfon, the chairman of the Commons education select committee, said that the DfE “needs to get some guidance out for the autumn term”. 
“I'm not quite clear why there needs to be such a delay,” he said. “It's something that James Cleverly needs to rocket boost. They can always update it later. There's lots of anxiety for parents and families.”"

Bayswater Support Group in there as well.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 03/08/2022 18:52

Typical of this government. While Cleverley cowers behind his sofa anxiously whimpering, trans activists are all over schools with their ill informed anti safeguarding "advice". I don't give a toss about the internal problems the tories have. I just know that they have cowered in corners for the last decade, being too scared to stand up to the trans lobby in case people call them transphobes with a generation of children suffering the appalling consequences.

Get a grip and get that guidance into schools!

Please
or

ResisterRex · 03/08/2022 19:12

Showcases the problems with the current state of politics. Labour should be calling for the guidance especially in light of Cass. But no.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Datun · 03/08/2022 19:27

MrsOvertonsWindow · 03/08/2022 18:52

Typical of this government. While Cleverley cowers behind his sofa anxiously whimpering, trans activists are all over schools with their ill informed anti safeguarding "advice". I don't give a toss about the internal problems the tories have. I just know that they have cowered in corners for the last decade, being too scared to stand up to the trans lobby in case people call them transphobes with a generation of children suffering the appalling consequences.

Get a grip and get that guidance into schools!

Absolutely.

Winds me up no end. What exactly is it that they're frightened of???

Just fucking say no. What is the worst that can happen? A bunch of trans activists have a go at you, with absolutely zero argument whatsoever.

Just uphold the bloody equality act, with equal rights for everyone, including girls. Soo not complicated.

They put Hillary Casting in there! They know the score. She's telling them in words of one syllable.

Strewth.

Please
or

JacquelinePot · 03/08/2022 19:30

Absolutely, MrsO. It's not hard. We could bash out some sensible guidance between us in an afternoon! In the meantime how many more kids are going to be harmed?

Please
or

Datun · 03/08/2022 19:34

*Cass

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 19:34

Cleverly is a bit stupid on this issue, I remember him being particularly obnoxious on Question Time about it once.

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 19:36

I think individual parents are going to have to continue to talk to their children's schools and ask awkward questions. Use the Cass review etc as a prompt.

Please
or

Musomama1 · 03/08/2022 21:16

Hasn't the closing of GIDS at Tavistock shown the urgency? And proven that social transition is highly controversial and ill advised?

Agree with you all PPs, 'no' seems to be a simple word that so many seem unable to utter. Lack of backbones.

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 03/08/2022 21:38

For any parents facing problems in their child's school, here's a very good analysis of Cass and its relationship to schools:

teachersguidetosexandgender.org/2022/07/06/a-teachers-guide-to-the-cass-review-interim-report/

And this from Sex Matters & Transgender Trend should be read by every teacher in schools:

sex-matters.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Sex-Matters-and-Transgender-Trend-schools-guidance.pdf

Please
or

MrGHardy · 04/08/2022 08:59

"Currently, teachers have a legal obligation under the 2010 Equalities Act to protect all pupils from discrimination"

This is probably the most asinine aspect of the whole thing. What is "discrimination"? If I say a boy who identifies as a girl should not be allowed in the girl's bathroom, am I discriminating against them? If so, on what basis?

If it is discrimination, it surely isn't based on their identity, but on their biological sex. And if that is discrimination, every boy should be free to use the girl's bathroom.

Please
or

TeenDivided · 04/08/2022 16:24

Is the Government issues or the Civil Services being slow on purpose?

Please
or

MrsOvertonsWindow · 04/08/2022 21:59

TeenDivided
I think it's the chaos in government. I have no doubt that many civil servants will be having conniptions at the idea of safeguarding children being prioritised over the demands of trans extremist groups but hopefully their influence is starting to wane?

Please
or

FOJN · 04/08/2022 23:09

I'm seeing reports of Kemi Badenoch being lined up as next Education Secretary in a Truss led Tory government. Hopefully she will speed things up if that becomes a reality.

The bad news is that PM is being tipped for CMS.

Please
or

JustWaking · 05/08/2022 13:11

The bad news is that PM is being tipped for CMS.

What is CMS in this context?

Please
or

FOJN · 05/08/2022 15:34

Culture, media and sport. The official title of the government department is Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport so technically DCMS.

Please
or

AnotherDayAnotherView · 05/08/2022 16:12

I would like to read this article as currently in consultation with relevant parties - does anyone have an archive copy please?

Please
or

AnotherDayAnotherView · 05/08/2022 16:13

AnotherDayAnotherView · 05/08/2022 16:12

I would like to read this article as currently in consultation with relevant parties - does anyone have an archive copy please?

Apologies, just found the relevant link up thread

Please
or

ResisterRex · 07/08/2022 19:45

According to the article in this tweet, there may be movement on this issue this week:

twitter.com/redperil6/status/1556264715046850561?s=21&t=cBgTQbGCCBf4sShBFOQ_SQ

OP's posts:
Please
or

ResisterRex · 08/08/2022 21:37

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.