Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Reddit Bans r/banfemalehatesubs

21 replies

pavonine · 30/06/2020 14:07

When trying to access r/radical_feminism, the message reddit has said is "Radical feminism is a form of hate speech, and we urge countries with hate speech laws to prosecute all radical feminists within their borders."

Honestly, I don't know why I'm shocked any more. I've had an account on reddit for 3 years, been a lurker for much longer, but this absolutely finished it for me.

Hate speech? To talk about women's rights?

The willingness of them to ban r/BanFemaleHateSubs and r/GenderCritical, but leave up horrific pro-rape and anti-women subs such as r/strugglefucking (not going to name the rest, this one conveys the idea well enough) leaves me speechless.

OP posts:
Please
or

Selfraising · 30/06/2020 14:13

Shock
Radical feminism is a form of hate speech?????

Please
or

WhatAWonderfulDay · 30/06/2020 14:15

They need to be sued. Class action suit from all women everywhere.

Please
or

VickyEadieofThigh · 30/06/2020 14:16

Gilead here we come.

Please
or

BovaryX · 30/06/2020 14:18

Radical feminism is a form of hate speech

This is beyond absurd. Where are the brakes on this?

Please
or

MsMarvellous · 30/06/2020 14:23

It won't allow me to deactivate my reddit account

Please
or

JKRismyhero · 30/06/2020 14:27

You've got to be joking. Hate speech!! Come on now.

Please
or

lady69 · 30/06/2020 14:32

saidit.net/s/GenderCritical/

Temp replacement.
Fuck reddit.

Please
or

TirisfalPumpkin · 30/06/2020 14:38

One positive is that people are moving en masse to free speech guaranteeing platforms. saidit, parler etc are going to do well out of this.

That admin message is absolutely insane. I knew Reddit had a toxic MRA culture, but wow.

Please
or

winterdalia · 30/06/2020 14:38

Perhaps we should start a petition to bring attention to this. I'm not articulate enough. This is one of the most blatant examples of misogyny I've ever seen.

Anyone interested in starting a petition?

Please
or

sourdoughismyreligion · 30/06/2020 14:46

Where did that message come from? The radical feminist groups on reddit are still there and no so message pops up?

Please
or

PenguindreamsofDraco · 30/06/2020 14:58

The ridiculous thing is, it is precisely this sort of thing which has radicalised me. I was a definite libfem, happy to share my rights. No longer, fuck off, this is a war we're fighting now.

Please
or

pavonine · 30/06/2020 15:02

Apologies everyone, the quote does not seem to be from reddit themselves. While what they are doing is absolutely despicable, the r/radical_feminism sub seems to be private (and not banned), so whoever is running that community was the one to post that message, and not reddit officials.

However, the fact still stands that these peaceful communities (r/banfemalehatesubs) are being banned, while pro-rape subs are allowed to exist.

OP posts:
Please
or

pavonine · 30/06/2020 15:04

Here is the sub-reddit: www.reddit.com/r/radical_feminism/

OP posts:
Please
or

Whichoneofyoudidthat · 30/06/2020 15:14

[quote pavonine]Here is the sub-reddit: [[https://www.reddit.com/r/radical_feminism/XV1bL3F1b3Rl]
I get the ‘content not available’ message

Please
or

bronzeandglass · 01/07/2020 15:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

NChat · 01/07/2020 15:17

Wasn't r/BanFemaleHateSubs set up when people started pointing out that asking why GC was banned while the violently misogynistic subs remain, didn't address that those subs should actually be banned. (Obviously there is no real comparison, but I think that's what happened.)

So it's pretty unbelievable that when a sub is set up to address just the issue of the objectively despicable subs, that (publicly) everyone believes is bad, it is also banned.

Please
or

wrongsideofhistorymyarse · 01/07/2020 15:21

Sigh

Please
or

DrDavidBanner · 01/07/2020 15:31

we urge countries with hate speech laws to prosecute all radical feminists within their borders.

I've been watching a load of documentaries on TV while I've been furloughed and a great one is The Third Wave Experiment timeline.com/this-1967-classroom-experiment-proved-how-easy-it-was-for-americans-to-become-nazis-ab63cedaf7dd It made me thik about a lot of things that are going on at the moment.

Please
or

DrDavidBanner · 01/07/2020 15:35

I don't use Reddit by the way but maybe this is a sign that Reddit isn't for women (and those who support women) anyway.

We need to start voting with our feet, let the weirdos, incels MRAs and women haters have their echo chambers and keep them all in one place away from us.

Please
or

SunsetBeetch · 01/07/2020 15:44

@MsMarvellous

It won't allow me to deactivate my reddit account

What's the issue you're having, MsMarvellous ? Must admit, I had to Google (another bunch of bastards!) how to do it.
Please
or

JKRismyhero · 01/07/2020 15:55

It was set up a little while before the bans. As I understand it the MRAs were targeting FDS and pinkpill feminism as well as having others. They had subs dedicated to 'watching' and reporting them. So they decided to fight back.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?