Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Concerns about sexual harrasment in schools

9 replies

WimpleOfTheBallet · 08/01/2011 09:47

So Lynne Featherston Minister for Equalities is chairnig a roundtable on body confidence..and wants Mums Netters opinons...Im sure people on here have seen the thread but I wanted to draw attention to my own issues whch I have posted on the thread...one which I've seen discussed on MN a ouple of times with great passion...that of sexual harrassment in schools...and how there is no policy re. this.

I think it's really important that people take the opporunity to draw attention to the awful experiences which many girls have at school...so perhaps this is a chance to voice concerns?

OP posts:
MrsFlittersnoop · 08/01/2011 15:16

A friend of mine used to teach Art and Design in a FE college in North London. She had a real problems with several of her muslim female pupils being harrassed by muslim boys because the girls in question chose not to wear hijab, and they were studying Art which the boys thought was un-islamic. They were verbally and occasionally physically harrassed on a daily basis.

My friend was unable to get these issues addressed or dealt with by the college authorities because the issue was seen as "too sensitive" for them to get involved. They simply ignored the problem. 2 girls dropped out of the course and went to study at an all-girls school 6th form instead.

WimpleOfTheBallet · 08/01/2011 16:10

Good grief that's dreadful! The college allowed the boys to get away with it did they?

OP posts:
MrsFlittersnoop · 08/01/2011 17:32

Yes. Nothing was done. It was bullying, and there was definately an element of sexual harassment there - the bullies didn't abuse the muslim boys on the same course. They just abused the girls for not wearing hijab etc.

HerBeatitude · 08/01/2011 20:34

Have posted

WimpleOfTheBallet · 09/01/2011 21:50

Is anyone else going to put their two-pennorth in? I feel SO strongly about this...I remember how high feelings ran in the original thread about sexual harassment in schools...HerBeatitude links to the original thread in her comments in the Mumsnet Campaigns thread...I really think something needs to be done.

OP posts:
scallopsrgreat · 09/01/2011 22:13

Done Wimple! I did post further up the thread after reading this, but my support might not have been as clear as it should have been!

WimpleOfTheBallet · 09/01/2011 22:24

Lovely...I think it's been put very well by you scallops!

OP posts:
poshsinglemum · 10/01/2011 21:46

There was alot of sexual hrassment going on at my posh school and the teachers turned a blind eye.

WimpleOfTheBallet · 11/01/2011 18:04

I don't think class is any barrier Poshsinglemum.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.