My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Is this a sign of peri menopause?

10 replies

ChameFangeNail · 10/03/2022 19:42

I’m 42, my last period lasted about ten days. Usually my cycle is 24 days. This month it’s 28 days and counting. Still waiting for my period to turn up and wondering wtf is going on. Definitely not pregnant. I had covid just over a month ago if that’s relevant? Is this it, am I in peri?

OP posts:
nocoolnamesleft · 10/03/2022 19:58

Lots of reports of Covid causing temporary menstrual disturbance. So that may well be relevant (I hope).

Luredbyapomegranate · 10/03/2022 20:25

It's most likely Covid, unless you have a history of earlyish menopause in your family. But yes could be peri. Give it 3 months and ask GP to do a blood check - just checking hormone levels not much use in Peri tho because they go up and down.

something2say · 10/03/2022 21:17

Peri can start with just the odd change, a day late here and there. That's how mine started. I had a good 4 years of 'just the odd day late' tho, so maybe you will too x and enjoy being 42, and 43 etc

Aquamarine1029 · 10/03/2022 21:18

That's how mine started. I was 40, on HRT at 41.

Aquamarine1029 · 10/03/2022 21:20

It's most likely Covid, unless you have a history of earlyish menopause in your family.

Peri-menopause is not menopause though. Peri can last 10 years or longer before full menopause.

Mossstitch · 10/03/2022 21:22

Peri with me started at 43 when I went 10 weeks without a period but I was 49 and half before periods stopped for good so could be.

ChameFangeNail · 10/03/2022 22:06

My mum did have earlyish menopause but she had a Fallopian tube removed in her 20s so she was only ‘firing on one cylinder’ as she used to say.

Hard to know if it’s covid or peri but useful to hear other people’s experiences.

OP posts:
ScottishScouseMa · 06/05/2022 23:26

Did anyones peri menopause symptoms start with sudden light then sudden heavy periods? This is what I am currently dealing with. Never knowing what to expect. The heavy periods have caused aneamia, and then they seem to be more and more frequent, now every 21 days! Also, havin hot sweats at night, and sometimes throughout the day.

KangarooKenny · 07/05/2022 07:30

ScottishScouseMa · 06/05/2022 23:26

Did anyones peri menopause symptoms start with sudden light then sudden heavy periods? This is what I am currently dealing with. Never knowing what to expect. The heavy periods have caused aneamia, and then they seem to be more and more frequent, now every 21 days! Also, havin hot sweats at night, and sometimes throughout the day.

You might be better starting your own thread about this as it’s lost in someone else’s !
My periods became heavier and more frequent, and caused low ferritin. I had a Mirena coil put in to stop it. Then add in your sweats and yes, it’s peri. Welcome to the club ! Get yourself over to the menopause board.

ScottishScouseMa · 07/05/2022 12:55

@KangarooKenny thanks for your reply 🙂. A coil has been suggested for me also.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.