My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Mammogram ,clear scans,GP visit

4 replies

oneboy3girls · 08/09/2021 10:16

I mentioned to the mammographer ,three years ago that I had an inverted nipple. She said to go to GP and get it referred even if scan is clear.GP said that is what scan is for and no referral was necessary. Had another routine scan last month and mammographer said go back to GP and get referred to breast surgeon as nipple is inverted. Booking in to see different GP.Are mammographers correct ?Should GP refer me? Thankyou

OP posts:
SergeiL · 08/09/2021 10:18

Mammograms do not show all breast changes as I understand it. I think you do need to be referred to the breast clinic and then they will do a physical exam, an ultrasound and any other tests required.

SergeiL · 08/09/2021 10:20

Good luck. Given the elapsed time with no further symptoms, I am sure it will be ok but I do think you need it checked for peace of mind.

Yutes · 08/09/2021 10:22

@SergeiL

Mammograms do not show all breast changes as I understand it. I think you do need to be referred to the breast clinic and then they will do a physical exam, an ultrasound and any other tests required.

Completely right.

Also often an inverted nipple is nothing to worry about, but as pp said - mammograms do not show everything. A GP should probably refer you for physical exam if they are not sure.

It is reassuring that screening mammogram is clear, but you are clearly still concerned and if it is new and (inverted nipple) has never been thouroughy checked before, now is the time.
oneboy3girls · 08/09/2021 12:07

Thankyou.Very helpful.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.