My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Any natural tips for UTIs?

11 replies

cantthinkofaname2021 · 07/05/2021 13:56

Hello, does anyone have any tips please for natural remedies or at least anything to speed up healing? Going to collect antibiotics this afternoon
My second uti this month and in agony 😭 drinking tonnes of water which not making much difference x

OP posts:
justanotherneighinparadise · 07/05/2021 13:57

Yes! Avoid caffeine. It’s the number one reason for UTIs according to my GP.

murbblurb · 07/05/2021 14:10

Having got that far, you need antibiotics. To reduce future risk

• drink plenty of water. Reduce caffeine, booze, fizzy drinks
  • urinate before and after sex.

Natural medicine that works = medicine.
FizzyPink · 07/05/2021 14:10

No sugar, as much water as you can stomach.

In my experience antibiotics work pretty quickly and you’ll feel better within hours. In the meantime sitting in a warm bath while drinking water and weeing is my best remedy. Sounds gross but it’s honestly such a relief. Otherwise a warm damp flannel in between your legs sometimes helps a bit as well.

starrynight21 · 07/05/2021 14:13

"Natural" remedies do not work. If you have a UTI you need antibiotics, to prevent the UTI turning into something very serious.

Once it has been treated, drink plenty of water every day, take a cranberry capsule every day, and urinate after sex.

AlexaNow · 07/05/2021 14:14

None of the natural remedies work, neither do the OTC sachets.

The only thing that works is antibiotics.

greymayday · 07/05/2021 14:15

Agree with reducing sugar as a long term solution to avoiding them. I used to get them at least once a month, managed to get them under control and now if I have one it’s almost always after an indulgent weekend where I’ve had cakes, sweets, fizzy drinks etc!

In terms of the here and now, completely agree with the bath suggestion.

Get well soon OP Flowers

Floralnomad · 07/05/2021 14:20

I suffer from recurrent UTIs , my GP now prescribes me Nitrofurantoin that I keep at home and take when necessary , it’s really helped as I’ve only had one full blown uti since .

MamaBearThius · 07/05/2021 14:30

Long time sufferer here...I'll share my grossest secret.
First hint of a UTI and I get in a warm bath with a few pints of water lined up and a book. Drink and drink and pee in the bath as soon as there's any urge. I stay in there for hours and it's helped me every time. Shower off afterwards

cantthinkofaname2021 · 07/05/2021 19:15

Thank you for all the tips
I've had about 30 utis in my life, I usually feel better after the first few antibiotics
However I'm pregnant now and the one a couple of weeks ago took until day 7 of the antibiotics to feel any better
I know how good the warm bath feels!

OP posts:
RummidgeGeneral · 15/05/2021 17:37

Always try to have a wee after sex. Doesn't have to be a big wee. A few drops will do the job. Made a huge difference to me when a doctor told me to do it.

RoobyMyrtle · 15/05/2021 17:41

D-mannose helps me

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.