My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Mirena question

6 replies

Coffeeonadrip · 27/03/2021 08:54

Has anybody experienced similar?
I've been on Mirena for 3 years now. No major side effects. Never lost my periods, they just gradually reduced to very small spotting but very regular, every 23 days. You could set a calendar by it for about 2 years! Over the last few months though things have gone a bit mad. Some months I don't spot at all. Some months I spot twice (couple weeks apart). And one month spotting lasted for two weeks! Coil is still there, can feel the strings. Is it because the coil is not as strong as it was before? Could it be anything else? I had my smear test in October, all good and coil was in place then too. Any ideas would be great, thanks!

OP posts:
Coffeeonadrip · 02/04/2021 07:53

Anybody?

OP posts:
gingerninja99 · 02/04/2021 08:04

I am on the same coil, just over 3 years in. All periods stopped but now I am spotting some months. Also my hormonal back acne has started up again so I suppose it's maybe becoming less effective at the whatever hormonal changes I did have on me

MrsPatrickDempsey · 02/04/2021 08:20

I have no bleeding for about 3 yrs then it's as if the hormones run out and bleeding is erratic. Recent experience was interesting as after 3 years of fitting started to bleed and I had it changed in December when it was just short of 5 years. I blamed peri menopause as I am 50 but since my new one I have had no bleeding. May be nature/may be the coil hormones. You may need it changed.

3teens2cats · 02/04/2021 09:08

I have been using mirena for 14 years now. I don't have periods but notice that once its been in 3/4 years I begin to notice hormone changes. Bloating, spotting, tender breasts etc. It slowly creeps up and is quite noticeable into the 4th year. Once changed it settles again. My gp insisted it is still effective and to be fair I haven't fallen pregnant. I am due to have mine changed soon and have been told due to my age they will leave the new one on until I am through menopause.

gingerninja99 · 02/04/2021 17:54

@3teens2cats

I have been using mirena for 14 years now. I don't have periods but notice that once its been in 3/4 years I begin to notice hormone changes. Bloating, spotting, tender breasts etc. It slowly creeps up and is quite noticeable into the 4th year. Once changed it settles again. My gp insisted it is still effective and to be fair I haven't fallen pregnant. I am due to have mine changed soon and have been told due to my age they will leave the new one on until I am through menopause.

I due a new one when I'm 45 and have been told the same thing, that one will stay in
Claudiapurplerose3 · 09/05/2021 22:15

I was looking for other people’s experiences of Mirena. I had mine put in 3 years ago and in the last 5 months have started to have irregular bleeding, particularly after sex. I had a full check up and scan and I don’t have polyps or anything else to cause bleeding and smear is normal. It’s reassuring to hear that others have experienced this. I’ve also put on weight and fighting hard to lose it, my hormonal spots are back and I just feel different. I really want to get the coil removed completely to see what happens next. Has anyone else done that?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.