My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Ovarian cyst

15 replies

haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 15:58

Hi all I'm new on here, just wondering if anyone out there suffers with ovarian cysts. I was told just over a month ago I have a 5cm cyst on my left ovary after having very light bleeding for 3weeks with a few blood test done and ultrasounds I have been referred to the gynaecologist. Not sure what to expect at the gynaecologist.. get all nervous with this type of thing I like to know what's going to happen.

OP posts:
Nopenotsureigiveahoot · 24/10/2020 16:24

Oh so glad to see this post. I fond out yesterdat that I have a 6cm one on my right ovary, but GP is saying a referral is not necessary, however I am pushing for one! I also have been bleeding for 13 days now...are you TTC? How long was your wait to see a gynae?

haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 17:01

I was told the cyst 4.9 cm a mm under what they would normally refer. As it's only 1mm smaller than 5cm and I was having symptoms they decided to do an early referral, they said they would normally just have an ultrasound after 3months to check wether to see if it's gone or grown. I've had to wait just over a month for this appt with the gynaecologist. But if it was you I'd push for a referral it's scares me Incase it ruptured. I guess they will see if I need surgery or other treatment. Hope you get the referral u want

OP posts:
haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 17:02

Sorry no I've got 2 girls so no more for us 🤗

OP posts:
Spudina · 24/10/2020 17:06

I had a 5cm dermoid cyst and was referred. Surgeon recommended taking it out so I had it removed. It could have been a day surgery except I went down to theatre last on the list and was in recovery late so stayed overnight. Was painful for a couple of days and later I had a mild infection which was resolved with a course of oral antibiotics. I’m glad I had it removed. I’ve had two DDs since.

Nopenotsureigiveahoot · 24/10/2020 17:12

Yes I actually paid for the scan privately yesterday because I'm so freaked out by the bleeding. Will definitely be pushing for a referral or will ask for another GP. I have sent them the sonographer's report and scan. Thanks for sharing that info @Spudina gives me hope that I will be able to TTC again.

DisaronnoConnoisseur · 24/10/2020 17:14

I don't know if my reply will be of any help as I've never been referred, they've always been worse than that unfortunately.

I first had one in 2007, woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain, went to A&E who thought it was appendicitis. I had a scan and they found a 9cm cyst on my left ovary. They referred straight to an op to remove so the next appointment I had was for a pre op and then the actually operation.

Fast forward to March last year and I woke in the night with the same pain again, went to out of hours as I was pretty certain what it was. The DR was unable to feel anything but said to go back to my GP who would refer me. I stupidly ignored it as the pain came and went, until Nov when I woke in the night in absolute agony. I was rushed straight up to A&E, had a scan and they found another large cyst on the same ovary (the morphine may have affected my memory on size) They rushed me for emergency surgery as they said I shouldn't be in this much pain, turns out that this time I had an ovarian torsion and they had to remove the cyst and my left ovary and tube.

My advice would be to never ignore it, if it's already causing you pain then I would be pushing to have something done about it, as the wait time will already be really long.

Nopenotsureigiveahoot · 24/10/2020 17:49

OP do you have pain along with the bleeding? I have no pain at all, only reason I knew something was up is because my period arrived and hasn't gone away.

Despite nnot being in pain, I would still like something done about it, I don't want to be bleeding non-stop

lunar1 · 24/10/2020 17:58

Ive had them before, surgically removed as they were 10cm. I go for yearly scans now and haven't had the smaller (5cm) ones removed.

lunar1 · 24/10/2020 17:58

Just to add, they never caused bleeding, just extremely painful.

haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 18:08

Same here when I was due my period I came on so light and it lasted for 3 weeks my boobs were really sore at that time to, it was weird my boobs stopped hurting and my bleeding stopped at the same time. I have slight pain during sex on the left side and was extremely bloated but I just put there down to eating like a pig 😂 even now I don't notice it but I do wonder if they can cause nausea.

OP posts:
Ken1976 · 24/10/2020 18:14

I had one, 10 cm which was only found when I had a hysterectomy due to fibroids which were the size of an 18 week pregnancy . I'd had pain for years but as my doctor had told me that I had diverticulitis I ignored the pain and carried on working . My periods were very regular but also very heavy . When they operated he wanted to take my ovaries and put me on HRT which I refused . I told him I wanted to keep my ovaries if possible. During surgery he found that my right ovary has burst at some point in the past and the left one had a large cyst . Knowing I didn't want HRT he removed the cyst for me and left me with the one ovary . He also told me that because of my age (45) at the time , my remaining ovary would shrivel up and menopause would start within a couple of years. To be honest I was glad to see the back of my womb etc . No more pain . No more bleeding and no more blooming migraines.

haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 18:18

I was told 6yrs ago I would have been 26 that I had a cyst I often wonder if it's the same one that's just carried on growing, even though it was never mentioned during my second pregnancy

OP posts:
Nopenotsureigiveahoot · 24/10/2020 19:41

I think it's normal for them to come and go OP, so this may well be a new one that's popped up and decided to cause the bleeding. Despite this, have your periods remained regular? Now been bleeding for over a wweek, but don't know if that means I won't ovualte or my periods will now be different.

haymumof2 · 24/10/2020 20:08

I stopped bleeding on the 8th September and only just came on my period 22nd Oct. so a few weeks of not really not knowing what was going on, just hope they keep regular as they were before all this happened. We're u regular before the bleeding

OP posts:
Nopenotsureigiveahoot · 24/10/2020 21:05

@haymumof2 yep regular before the bleeding, ny cycle is roughly about 30 days.

The only thing that has changed in my life is I had a steriod injection in my back for sciatic pain. Since then periods have been longer, last month was 7 days so not too bad, but this month 13 days. So now I'm unsure whether the bleeding is down to the steriod injection I had or the cyst that I discovered by chance at the private clinic!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.