My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Could my 'thrush' be worms (seriously hideous subject matter)

10 replies

RedIrange · 25/09/2020 20:33

Noticed my vulva was swollen and a bit sore and itchy a few days ago. Much like thrush but I don't recall be swollen and sore with thrush before.

Anyway, the following day the itchiness was feeling much more thrush-like (although unlike previous thrush I've had the itching was more external than internal). I used a pessary yesterday morning and I've been applying cream.

By yesterday evening the itching was a bit better but swelling and soreness still there. The cream stings when I put it on but seems to soothe. Symptoms significantly milder today but still not resolved.

Concerned though because I seem to remember thrush treatment working really quickly in the past? Also the soreness and swelling worry me too.

Was scouring MN for reassuring threads on similar and found a few about girls ending up with worms crawling to the front and causing irritation 😱 DS had worms a few weeks back so wouldn't be too big a surprise if I did have them. Inspecting my toilet bowl this morning I thought I might have seen some (they looked kind of translucent though rather than the white ones I saw with DS.

I'm now wondering whether my symptoms could be a reaction to worm eggs... which is too hideous a prospect to comprehend!

I've popped an Ovex tablet today, but I'm still pondering my angry vagina.

Is my imagination running away with me or could this horrific explanation be a possibility? Confused

Thank god for MN, there is probably no other place in the world I'd ask this stuff.

OP posts:
GrumpyMiddleAgedWoman · 25/09/2020 20:45

IME worms are a night-time joy. If you've popped an Ovex, that should sort it.

Thank God my DC are past all that.

RedIrange · 25/09/2020 20:49

It's horrible! 😫

My mind was running wild last night and I read on google that worms can cause Vulvovaginitis in children... couldn't find anything relating to adults though.

OP posts:
Hedgehog44 · 25/09/2020 20:51

It can be a thing, I remember reading about it. If you've got worms you know you've got them though!!!

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 25/09/2020 20:56

It's possible, it could also be a bacterial infection, or a resistant Candida that needs a different antifungal treatment. If you don't feel better after the 2 treatments you've had I'd ring and ask for a swab to be taken.

RedIrange · 25/09/2020 20:58

I haven't had any bottom itching, well, until the horrific worm theory entered my head. Everything has felt crawly down there since but admittedly my imagination may well be conjuring things up!

OP posts:
mineofuselessinformation · 25/09/2020 21:01

Go for the double whammy with the thrush treatment and get the tablet as well.

RedIrange · 25/09/2020 21:03

I will do @TheLovleyChebbyMcGee, that's good advice. It's definitely felt better today so going to see how it goes over the weekend and make an appointment after that if it's still an issue.

Less than 48 hours since the pessary so maybe that's just taking it's time to work properly. That would be my preferred scenario!

OP posts:
RedIrange · 25/09/2020 21:04

@mineofuselessinformation

Go for the double whammy with the thrush treatment and get the tablet as well.

I was just pondering that. Trip to the pharmacy in the morning maybe, can't do any harm can it.
OP posts:
AdoraBell · 25/09/2020 21:07

If it is worms a thin layer of Vaseline or Subacrem applied before you go to bed will help with the irritation.

I was advised this when DDs had thread worms, and passed them on to me 🤢

Hope everything clears up quickly.

RedIrange · 25/09/2020 21:09

@AdoraBell

If it is worms a thin layer of Vaseline or Subacrem applied before you go to bed will help with the irritation.

I was advised this when DDs had thread worms, and passed them on to me 🤢

Hope everything clears up quickly.

Funnily enough I have just got into bed with a layer of Canesten at the front, and a generous layer of Sudacrem at the back!

God, how did life come to this?! 🙈🙈🙈
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.