My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Does anybody else get really bad pain when ovulating?

8 replies

ohfos · 31/01/2020 16:56

Currently in my fertile period in my cycle. Have had lots of vaginal discharge this week (sorry, TMI I know) but have also got really bad pains where ovaries are, and in my lower back.

Can barely walk. Surely this isn't the normal? And starting to wonder what's causing this. These symptoms only appeared post DC.

Anyone else?

OP posts:
Babdoc · 01/02/2020 08:17

Pain caused by ovulation is normal and called mittelschmerz- literally
“middle pain”, ie pain mid cycle.
It’s due to irritation of the peritoneal lining by the fluid released when an ovarian follicle ruptures to release an egg.
However, it is rarely as severe as you are describing, and more usually felt in the lower abdomen.
You could consult your GP for a more thorough evaluation and further tests if they felt them indicated.

Skyejuly · 01/02/2020 08:19

I get this really bad. It gets extra bad for a while then eases. So painful I get it all down my legs too.

RavenT · 01/02/2020 08:20

Yes. Also get the rage when ovulating too, far more than when I'm on my period. And migraine when I ovulate too. Sad

slinkysaluki · 03/02/2020 08:27

Its called Misselschmirtz. I used to get ovulation pain so badly the doctors thought i had appendicitis. Then they told me it was the above mentioned "syndrome"

Theres not much you can do, i used to take Feminax tablets and have a hot water bottle to hand.

I eventually went on to have a hysterectomy when i was 42 due to fibroids.

I sympathise its very painful x

eurochick · 03/02/2020 09:24

I've always been able to feel ovulation but since having a baby the pain is at the sort of level you describe. I suspect I have adhesions as a result of my section.

MaisieMaisie · 03/02/2020 09:28

I used to and then PMT would settle in for two weeks. I don't get ovulation pain anymore just PMT bursting to get out of the gates. I have yet to find a cure. Apart from Nurofen.

ohfos · 03/02/2020 17:47

Thanks everyone sorry only just got back to this. I have had a csection also and these pains have definitely appeared after then. I never had them before.

Friday was awful, could barely walk and the pain in my lower back was so intense. Since then I've been absolutely fine but I suspect that's because I'm not in my fertile window now.

I was admitted to hospital back in November when I had these pains they did think it was appendicitis back then

OP posts:
Hoppetyflop · 04/02/2020 07:45

I get migranes from my period ending to ovulation being over. Sometimes i get the lower abdomen pain too. If you're really concerned, get it checked.

I think as you age your body goes through crazy hormonal changes and pain becomes the norm! Moreso if you have kids

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.