My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Re usable pads?

7 replies

BlueMoon1103 · 27/01/2020 15:43

I think I’m going a bit mad. Recently had major guilt about the amount of pads/nappies I throw away over the course of the month and have posted a thread on parenting about cloth nappies and that got me wondering about re usable period pads/pants.

Are they a bit grim? I have heavy periods so not sure whether they’d work for me as I don’t want to be walking around in my own blood all day and definitely don’t want leaks! If anyone uses them could you let me know how they feel? Are they comfortable? Are they wet or sticky? How often do you need to change them? What would you recommend, pads or pants? Are they a faff to change/store/clean?

Any help would be appreciated as I’m really undecided on this, not sure how hygienic I find them!

OP posts:
ItsMsAtomicBobToYou · 27/01/2020 15:48

I actually find the reusable pads better than disposable. They don't smell as odd and you don't feel wet or sticky at all. Even my heaviest day wouldn't cause a leak, which is an improvement on disposable ones. And they're more comfortable.

I change as often as disposable pads and they go in a small waterproof bag until I need to wash them - quick rinse in the machine, then bung towels/underwear in with them.

For context, up until recently I would dry heave at the thought of using them. The reality is far less gross than what I thought.

Glitterandunicorns · 27/01/2020 16:11

I find the reusable ones far better than disposable. I change mine as often as a disposable. If at home, I give it a rinse with cold water then stick it in a normal wash.
I find they irritate my skin a lot less than disposables too.

I can definitely recommend Bloom and Nora ones.

TheJoxter · 27/01/2020 16:13

They’re amazing, I use Honour Your Flow wool backed ones. They have 20% off every Sunday between 8-9pm.

RhymingRabbit3 · 27/01/2020 16:14

I like my reusable pads a lot. They're much more comfy than disposable, don't get unstuck or itchy. I also find that disposable pads smell weird whereas reusable dont. I don't find it gross at all, but I suppose some people might if you're the squeamish type.

SarahTancredi · 27/01/2020 16:15

Iove mine. No more itching. No more being cut.

I just bought some new ones to try

MissFoodie · 27/01/2020 22:28

Do they work for night? I currently use tampon + always maxi (the big thick nappy like pad in blue packaging) as have not found any other pad to last the night....

TheJoxter · 27/01/2020 22:33

@MissFoodie you can get night ones that flare out at back (and front if needed), probably feel a bit like nappies but I hear they work well! Or you can double up a cup and pad.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.