My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Smear test

4 replies

katieeacton · 09/06/2019 11:11

Went for my smear last week, the doc did an internal exam before doing the smear, ive had 2 previous tests and cant remember having an internal beforehand, is this normal

OP posts:
dementedpixie · 09/06/2019 16:22

Did they say what they were checking for? Did they put fingers in?

MunchyMunchkin · 09/06/2019 16:31

Some clinicians prefer to feel for the placement of the cervix before putting the speculum in. It can shorten the overall examination, particularly if your cervix is in a hard to reach place/very far back etc.

katieeacton · 10/06/2019 07:53

yes, it wasnt for very long and i think he said just wanted to examine me to determine location, so that makes sense Munchy.

OP posts:
Redgirl7 · 01/07/2019 15:56

It's normal for me to always have an internal exam due to history of obtaining adequate samples and having retroverted uterus meaning they have to check where to put position the speculum. Also they want to check for fibroids or cysts. It's better they do a thorough job. My regret was that previously they didn't do any internal exams on me which is why I have so many issues today.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.