My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

HPV advice - worried

1 reply

Dazzledrop · 08/02/2019 22:37

Hi all, wondered if anyone has any advice.

I tested positive for HPV but no abnormal cells following a smear last year, advised to return in 12 months. Have just received the results of my follow up test, again positive for HPV but no abnormal cells.

NHS info online suggests HPV positive results are usually invited for colposcopy, even without abnormal cell changes. I wondered if anyone could shed any light on why I have been told to return in a year again rather than go to colposcopy?

I also wondered if anybody knows if NHS test only for high risk HPV? There was no mention on the letter of what strain of the virus this was or if it is high risk.

Thanks a lot!

OP posts:
lau12345 · 12/02/2019 19:48

Hi, I am in the same situation except a year earlier than you, I have just found out I have HVP and the letter said the cells were normal, next smear in 12 months. I checked NHS guidance and if the cells continue to be normal they then change your smears back to every 3 years even though positive for hvp. Was you able to find out the strands of hvp you were positive for? It doesn't say on my letter but I will ask my GP - I don't know if they would be provided with that information. I think if you have symptoms e.g irregular bleeding or pelvic blame you should ask for a colposcopy, you might as well to be on the safe side.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.