Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Weaning

Weaning amounts

3 replies

WeWereInParis · 16/11/2022 18:04

DD2 was 6 months a couple of weeks ago and I can't remember what we did for DD1!

How much food do you give when weaning? I made some porridge this morning - just regular oats, milk, and some mashed banana and I think she'd have eaten much more but I wasn't sure whether to let her? This was about 45 mins after she'd been breastfed so it wasn't like she was filling up on that at the expense of milk.

There's a lot of guidance about what to give, but less about amounts? If they've had their milk and are happy to eat, will they self-regulate? Obviously with breast milk she just feeds for however long she wants.

OP posts:
Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · 16/11/2022 22:20

They'll definitely self regulate! If she's had a BF and is happy to have her porridge, I'd just let her Wink

Please
or

Fleur405 · 16/11/2022 22:24

I mean unless you thing she’s going to make herself sick - my little one will just cram as much food in her mouth as she can until she can’t physically chew it! - or she starts refusing milk then yes I’d let her eat as much as she likes. With baby led weaning they often say it’s your job to provide the food and your baby’s job to decide how much to eat.

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 16/11/2022 22:26

They’ll self regulate so you’re fine, but in reality it’s tiny amounts!

Please
or