Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your horse, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

endurance rides, Thetford Forest?

MitchyInge · 22/03/2009 21:49

am sure someone mentioned these on here recently? today a girl at the yard said she was going on a 19 mile hack through Thetford Forest soon - just wondering if anyone from here is going? I think it gives me a few weeks to sort out a saddle/transport/fitness.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Butkin · 24/03/2009 10:39

Lots of endurance rides through there organised by East Anglian long distance group or as formal (but fun) rides run by Endurance GB. Have a look at their websites for details.

Always good, dry riding through the forest but you do need a keen sense of direction and/or well organised event as lots of tracks look identical.

Please
or

MitchyInge · 24/03/2009 13:02

Thanks Butkin - I found a likely looking event on the Endurance GB site. I know its only just up the road by car but I wish it was within hacking distance!

OP's posts:
Please
or

alicecrail · 24/03/2009 14:23

My dh helps at the big endurance rides in kings forest other side of thetford. But they are the really big ones. Also at our yard there are flyers for the sponsered rides in the area, i'll have a look next time i'm in the club house.

I don't know if there are many round here but when i was in wiltshire there were a few uk chasers courses about. Tracks that have optional jumps on from 2'6" to 3'6" it might be worth looking them up.

Did you say you don't have a saddle? Because you know you can do them in any kind of saddle?

Please
or

MitchyInge · 24/03/2009 15:35

Thanks alice - no I haven't any sort of saddle at all at the moment!

OP's posts:
Please
or

alicecrail · 24/03/2009 22:27

Oh dear! I wouldn't fancy going on an endurance ride without a saddle!

Please
or

alicecrail · 29/03/2009 20:09

Hi, mitchy is the ride you are going on the 12th april? Because i picked up a schedule today for a sponsered ride through Thetford Forest and i wondered if that was the one you were thinking of going on

Please
or

MitchyInge · 30/03/2009 09:46

that must be it - not long is it? I'm holding back on the saddle until his back (and my bank balance!) is 100%, he's still a bit touchy there although vet checked it out on Friday and wasn't terrifically concerned the general consensus was to rest for a bit longer

so we probably won't make it unless I can borrow a horse, I could ask - but wouldn't that be a great meet-up venue?

OP's posts:
Please
or

alicecrail · 30/03/2009 11:15

It would. We don't have transport either which is a pain. I am going to get my horses properly back into work now the better weather is here, and my dh is wanting to do some jumping in 3 weeks (only a small clear round) which means we have something to aim for, which is always a help. The sponsered ride is being organised by a woman called pat who sometimes helps at shows at Fenning and she nearly always has some ride or other going. I think my Dh would love to do one of the rides, but both him and his horse need a bit more education ( and we need a babysitter!)

Please
or

alicecrail · 30/03/2009 11:16

Oh, and who is your vet?

Please
or

MitchyInge · 30/03/2009 11:53

Mike Webster - he broke away from a practice he founded in Stowmarket and is a sort of one man band, he's like something from All Creatures Great and Small!

OP's posts:
Please
or

alicecrail · 30/03/2009 13:39

The good thing with being in a horsey part of the world is at least there is no shortage of vets and farriers!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.